Pleuraphis

Possible mistake on i-751. How worried do we need to be?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

So we just sent off the i-751 packet to remove conditions on my husband's green card; we used the most recent version of the form.

Yup. The one that asks for the ELIS number. After looking through documentation we had saved and reading up on what an ELIS number is, we thought he didn't have an ELIS number and put 'NONE' on the form. Boy, do I wish we had stumbled upon the new i-751 thread earlier...an ELIS number may have/probably was created when we paid the immigration fee.

He can't log in to ELIS as he hasn't logged in in almost 2 years and has forgotten the answers to his security questions, so we're unable to see if there is an account number there.

How do we proceed from here? The packet just got to the PO Box yesterday, so we don't have an NOA1 yet. If the check is cashed and we do get a receipt, does anyone how we can/should correct this? It was an honest (albeit dunderheaded) mistake. And if we can correct it, any recommendations on how we go about obtaining the ELIS number?

Thank you in advance.

Your NOA gives you a second opportunity to submit evidence. When you receive it, include a signed statement attesting to the error you made and include the ELIS number if you can access it (check old emails, sometimes it is in them) or state that you don't remember it/can't find it. That will clear things up. Good luck! :)

AOS

03/24/11 - Got married in the Boogie-Down Bronx, NYC!
04/21/11 - Mailed I-130,I-765, I-485, I-864 and I-693 - Day 00

04/23/11 - Application delivered - Day 02
04/28/11 - NOA (most forms) - Day 07
05/03/11 - Checks cashed - Day 12
05/31/11 - Biometrics completed in the Bronx, NYC - Day 40
06/24/11 - Received someone else's employment authorization card!!! What the...? - Day 64
07/01/11 - Mailed the poor lady's card back after calling USCIS - Day 71
07/07/11 - Received poor lady's interview notice! What??? - Day 77
07/15/11 - Received my own EAD card - Day 85
08/12/11 - Interview. Approved on the spot! - Day 113
08/18/11 - Received card in the mail - Day 119

ROC
05/28/13 - Mailed I-751 - Day 00

05/30/13 - Application delivered - Day 02

05/31/13 - NOA I-797 - Day 03
06/04/13 - Check cashed - Day 07

06/06/13 - NOA delivered to my home/Biometrics letter generated - Day 09

06/10/13 - Received Biometrics letter in the mail - Day 13

06/27/13 - Biometrics completed in Milwaukee, WI - Day 30

09/10/13 - Application approved! - Day 105

09/14/13 - 10 year Green Card received! - Day 109

Citizenship

05/10/16 - Mailed N-400 - Day 00

05/12/16 - Application delivered - Day 02

05/13/16 - Credit card payment accepted - Day 03

05/17/16 - Received text & email update - Day 07

05/20/16 - Received 1st NOA (dated 05/13/16) & created ELIS acct - Day 10

05/21/16 - Received 2nd NOA (dated 05/16/16) confirming my DOB and address - Day 11

05/22/06 - Biometrics scheduled (online update) and appt letter was mailed on 05/20/16 - Day 12

05/24/06 - Biometrics letter became viewable online (appt scheduled for 06/07/16) - Day 14

05/27/16 - Received Biometrics letter in mail - Day 17

05/31/16 - Was denied walk-in fingerprints with just 1 person left in line. Milwaukee office, boo! - Day 21

06/07/16 - Biometrics completed in Milwaukee, WI - Day 28

12/21/16 - Passed Citizenship test/Interview was successful! - Day 197

01/26/17 - I am a US citizen!!! - Day 233

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Admittedly, we answered a question wrong on our N-400 that we caught the day after, some of those questions are brain twisters. We immediately did that one page and sent it right off with a letter explaining we believe we made an error on question so and so on page so and so. Please replace that page with the one enclosed. All was okay after this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

"USCIS ELIS Account Number (if any). If you have previously filed an application, petition, or request using the

USCIS Electronic Immigration System (USCIS ELIS), provide the USCIS ELIS Account Number you were issued by
the system. The USCIS ELIS Account Number is not the same as an A-Number. If you were issued a USCIS ELIS
Account Number, enter it in the space provided."
Maybe you didn't make a mistake after all.
Ha, we can't even file our income taxes electronically with a business, ask questions that have to be filled out on a separate sheet of paper they don't even have forms for. How can you file the I-751 electronically when they want a ton of evidence?

Where to find that Elis number?

USCIS STAGE:

August 17, 2013 - I-130 sent

August 22, 2013 - noa1

November 22, 2013 - tranferred to TSC

December 16, 2013 - approved

December 19, 2013 - noa2 hardcopy

January 09, 2014 - shipped to NVC

NVC STAGE:

January 17, 2014 - case received

February 24, 2014 - case number received

February 25, 2014 - IIN and BIN received

March 01, 2014 - ds 261 completed

March 05, 2014 - aos invoice and paid (in process)

March 07, 2014 - aos shows paid

March 22, 2014 - iv bill paid (in process)

March 25, 2014 - iv bill shows paid

March 25, 2014 - ds260 completed

March 26,2014 - iv package send to nvc

March 31, 2014 - iv package arrived at NVC 12:05pm (Gary S. Peters - signatory)

April 01, 2014 - aos send (certified mail)

April 03, 2014 - iv docs logged into the system (according to olivia)

April 05, 2014 - aos arrived at nvc but business closed. waiting them (usps) to redeliver it on Monday.

April 07, 2014 - aos finally arrived at NVC 11:50am

April 09, 2014 - aos logged into the the system (according to olivia)

April 24, 2014 - aos checklist (thru phone call)

April 25, 2014 - aos checklist email received

April 29, 2014 - checklist responce

May 02, 2014 - arrived at nvc signed by B. Standish

May 05, 2014 - checklist responce log into the system

May 28, 2014 - CASE COMPLETE .. Thank God

June 04, 2014 - received email (case complete)

June 09-10, 2014 - done advance medical

June 11, 2014 - interview schedule (email received)

July 02, 2014 - interview (APPROVED) Thank you Lord;)

Your NOA gives you a second opportunity to submit evidence. When you receive it, include a signed statement attesting to the error you made and include the ELIS number if you can access it (check old emails, sometimes it is in them) or state that you don't remember it/can't find it. That will clear things up. Good luck! :)

Admittedly, we answered a question wrong on our N-400 that we caught the day after, some of those questions are brain twisters. We immediately did that one page and sent it right off with a letter explaining we believe we made an error on question so and so on page so and so. Please replace that page with the one enclosed. All was okay after this.

Thank you so much everyone!

My husband was an actual saint today and spent quite a bit of time on the phone with the USCIS customer service center to find out what his ELIS number is and explain what happened. Here's what he found out:

-"They asked if I had already paid the $165 for the green card. I said I had, so they said they don't think it should matter."

-"They also said if there are any mistakes they'll send the packet back along with something saying what they need."

-"One rep said that they didn't think it would be an issue, but if it is, we have to wait until we have the receipt to make changes."

All in all, it seems that the reps at USCIS didn't think it was much of an issue. No solid answers, so obviously people should still provide the ELIS number, but at least there's a bit (perhaps?) of clarification.

So. Now the question is whether or not we should still write that letter with the ELIS number/resubmit the first page (the one that asks for it). I'm still leaning toward sending the letter explaining that we misunderstood what the ELIS number is and resubmitting a corrected first page. Any thoughts? Also, our check was just cashed. Am I correct in thinking that the NOA1 is on it's way?

Edited by Pleuraphis

I wouldn't worry about it since many people won't have an ELIS number. Honestly I'm not sure why they're asking for it unless they're doing some tracking thing for internal reasons.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

I wouldn't worry about it since many people won't have an ELIS number. Honestly I'm not sure why they're asking for it unless they're doing some tracking thing for internal reasons.

That's kind of what we thought....we have never filed anything online and have only paid the initial $165 green card fee through ELIS.

However, we also think maybe it's a good idea to send an amended page 'just in case;' I will definitely provide an update when I know how this pans out! Hopefully it will clear up some of the confusion for those who are filing with the new form.

• 9 months later...

I tried logging into ELIS before sending it off - couldn't, so sent it without ELIS number. I'm not anticipating issues.

ROC from CR-1 visa (Green Card expiration date was Nov 24th 2016)

Link to the evidence I submitted. Be sure to send evidence spanning your entire marriage (especially for K-1) or as far back as you can. Just one or two bank statements will not cut it. I primarily focused on the two years of living here since I came in on a CR-1. If you don't have the fundamentals (i.e. joint accounts/policies), you can explain why in the covering letter. E.g. "While we do not have joint utilities, we both contribute to them from our joint bank account".

September 26th 2016: I-751 package sent to CSC

September 28th 2016: Package delivered
September 30th 2016: Check cashed
October 3rd 2016: NOA1 received with receipt date of 09/28/16
November 3rd 2016: Biometrics received with appointment date of 11/14/16.
November 14th 2016: Attended biometrics appointment
October 30th 2017: Infopass appointment to get I-551 stamp
February 26th 2018: I-751 case number (aka the NOA1 receipt number) becomes trackable
March 14th 2018: Submitted service request due to being outside of processing time.

March 15th 2018: ROC approved. 535 days (1 year, 5 months and 17 days)

March 29th 2018: Card being produced

April 4th 2018: Card mailed out

April 6th 2018: Card in hand. Has incorrect "resident since" date. Submitted service request on I-751 case (typographical error on permanent resident card) and an I-90 online.

April 2018 - August 7th 2018: Tons of service requests, emails and now senator involvement to get my corrected green card back because what the heck, USCIS. Also some time in May I sent a letter to Potomac telling them I want to withdraw my I-90 since CSC were handling it.

August 8th 2018: Card in production thanks to the direct involvement of Senator Sherrod Brown's team

August 13th 2018: Card mailed

August 15th 2018: Card in hand with correct date. :joy:

October 31st 2018: Potomac sends out a notice stating they have closed out my I-90 per my request. Yay for no duplicate card drama.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.