vanee

Police certificate from another country

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I lived in Israel for a year a couple of decades ago, so I'll need a police certificate for Israel for Packet 3 (K-1 visa). I need to fill out this form and send it to the Israeli embassy in Toronto.

The form instructions read, "Complete Part A. Complete Part C only if the requested confirmation is to be sent to a consulate or foreign authority." But Part A asks for "Address (consulate or office) to which the confirmation is to be sent." So either way, they want to send the form directly to the embassy. I emailed the US embassy in Vancouver to ask what they want. The response I got: "Police clearance must be sent directly to the Consulate or Embassy, where you will be applying for your K visa."

I've never seen anyone mention this here, so I'm wondering what's typical. When I apply for my police certificate for Canada, will it be sent directly to the US consulate in Vancouver too?

Also, what's on the police certificates? The form I linked to asks for first names and last names but not together. If I'd had the names "Jane Doe" and "June Jones," the form doesn't show what went together, so would the police certificate be for all possible combinations of those names? It probably doesn't matter because my first name has never changed, but I find that form rather confusing.

Thanks for your help. :)

K-1, AOS, ROC
2007, 2009, 2011

Naturalization

2016-05-17 - N-400 package sent

2016-05-21 - NOA1 (IOE receipt number)

2016-06-15 - Biometrics

2016-11-08 - Citizenship interview in Detroit: approved
2016-12-16 - Oath ceremony

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Don't know about your Israeli certificate but your Canadian police certificate will be issued to you and you bring that with you to the interview.

I haven't heard of anyone having their police clearance sent directly to a consulate (too much of a chance it would get lost I would think!). I would just put your address for part A and maybe call or email the Israeli consulate to confirm.

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Timeline
Don't know about your Israeli certificate but your Canadian police certificate will be issued to you and you bring that with you to the interview.

I haven't heard of anyone having their police clearance sent directly to a consulate (too much of a chance it would get lost I would think!). I would just put your address for part A and maybe call or email the Israeli consulate to confirm.

Thanks. :)

I can't get anything more from the Israeli consulate. I emailed them a couple of weeks ago and never heard back. They take phone calls only until 1 PM Eastern time, and the line was busy for about 5 minutes before I got through. The person I talked to didn't have time to answer all my questions because she had to take another call.

The US embassy in Vancouver did confirm that police clearance had to be sent directly to the embassy: "Police clearance must be sent directly to the Consulate or Embassy, where you will be applying for your K visa." Those are the exact words, and they don't say anything about police certificates for other countries being handled differently from police certificates for Canada.

I'm still confused. :(

K-1, AOS, ROC
2007, 2009, 2011

Naturalization

2016-06-15 - Biometrics

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

That's weird... because police certificates for Canada you get yourself and bring to your interview. Doesn't get sent to them at all.

The thing is that, you don't have a case number assigned yet since you haven't received your approval and it hasn't been through the NVC. So if your Israeli police certificate is sent to Vancouver, they wouldn't know what to do with it since you don't exist to them until NVC assigns a case number.

I'd call Vancouver and talk to someone in the K visa department. Call between 2-4 Vancouver time, 604-685-4311 extension 235. They're very nice on the phone.

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I got one from Germany a short time ago and had it sent to me because of the need for translation, I would think that you would also need your document translated unless they sent already in English. On my application for the certificate of good conduct I had the option of where the certificate should be sent.

Misa is spot on and you're better doing as Misa suggests it doesn't hurt and you can't go wrong. When in doubt ask for a second opinion.

09/20/2006 - Sent I-129F

09/22/2006 - Received at NSC
09/28/2006 - NOA-1 (1-797C date )

10/02/2006 - Cheque cashed

10/02/2006 - NOA 1 (I-797C recieved in the mail)

12/08/2006 - NOA-2 in 79 days

12/13/2006 - NOA-2 hard copy recieved

12/26/2006 - Package recieved by NVC

12/30/2006 - Received by Montreal

01/22/2007 - Received Packet 3

04/16/2007 - Returned Packet 3

08/02/2007 - Received medical documentation

08/07/2007 - Received Interview date Aug. 9th

08/09/2007 - Received I-601 and 212 (not approved yet)

02/17/2008 - I-601 approved 212 abandoned

06/2?/2009 - New medical and passport and doc sent to Mtl

07/22/2009 - Recieved request for DS-221 and notarized letter of intent

07/31/2009 - Montreal recieves thier final requested doc.

09/01/2009 - Visa approved and mail out today

Got this off the gov't website:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/reciprocity/C.../Israel_etc.htm

Israeli Police Certificates

Israeli Police Certificates are available for citizens and residents of Israel as well as nonresidents. Police certificates may be requested at any Israeli police station. They are sent directly to the U.S. Embassy. Former residents residing outside of Israel should apply in person at an Israeli consular or diplomatic mission.

Israeli police records are centralized and automated. Cases are indexed according to a unique identification number (Israeli National Identity Number) for Israeli citizens. Non-Israeli citizens are assigned an I.D. number which also identifies them.

Criminal records are purged from the official police record seven years after the conviction. In extraordinary circumstances, individuals can obtain a full print-out of their record including expunged convictions. Police will not provide this to the Embassy, and these print-outs have no legal effect in Israel.

So ... it looks like if you apply for the certificate directly from Israel then yes, it will be sent to the embassy, however, you should be applying through a local consulate and the rules may be different. Yes? No?

Mo

p.s. Here is the only consulate I can find for Israel. Hope you can find another:

http://www.britishcolumbia.com/information/details.asp?id=5

ISRAEL

180 Bloor Street West, Suite 700

Montréal, Quebec H3B 4S5

Tel: (514) 940-8500

Fax: (514) 940-8555

Edited by mozplay

timeline.gif

Full timeline can be seen in my profile

PAST - From K-1 to Citizenship (a love story)
K-1: Aug 12, 2006 to Jan 17, 2007 - mailed I-129F
AOS: Feb 26, 2007 - Jul 26, 2007
REMOVING CONDITIONS: May 4, 2009 - Oct 3, 2009
CITIZENSHIP: Nov 27, 2012 - May 9, 2013

Note: I immigrated from Canada, not T&T - the timeline is reflective of this.

PRESENT - IR-5 Story (reuniting a family)
I-130 for Parents - 2013
Aug ?? - mailed I-130 packages for both mother and father
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Mar 18 - got emails saying that the petitions are approved smile.png

Visit my website Dancing Light Stained Glass Studio to view my work.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Got this off the gov't website:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/reciprocity/C.../Israel_etc.htm

Israeli Police Certificates

Israeli Police Certificates are available for citizens and residents of Israel as well as nonresidents. Police certificates may be requested at any Israeli police station. They are sent directly to the U.S. Embassy. Former residents residing outside of Israel should apply in person at an Israeli consular or diplomatic mission.

Israeli police records are centralized and automated. Cases are indexed according to a unique identification number (Israeli National Identity Number) for Israeli citizens. Non-Israeli citizens are assigned an I.D. number which also identifies them.

Criminal records are purged from the official police record seven years after the conviction. In extraordinary circumstances, individuals can obtain a full print-out of their record including expunged convictions. Police will not provide this to the Embassy, and these print-outs have no legal effect in Israel.

So ... it looks like if you apply for the certificate directly from Israel then yes, it will be sent to the embassy, however, you should be applying through a local consulate and the rules may be different. Yes? No?

Mo

p.s. Here is the only consulate I can find for Israel. Hope you can find another:

http://www.britishcolumbia.com/information/details.asp?id=5

ISRAEL

180 Bloor Street West, Suite 700

Montréal, Quebec H3B 4S5

Tel: (514) 940-8500

Fax: (514) 940-8555

You know it is so frustrating for all those who are trying to get the Police certificate from foreign counties, with the exception of a few countries.

From Kenya, it is a nightmare! I sent mine to the Consulate in Ottawa and they said 4 months!!!!! that is insane when Toronto issues it within 36 hours! Anyways, that's just how it is.

I am going to follow up next week and nag the ba**ards in Ottawa to get me an update. ;((

Timeline

Thanks for all the responses. :) When I called the US embassy in Vancouver, I was told that I needed to email the right department, so I did. The response:

Yes, Canadian police certificate you can obtain and bring it yourself but Israeli police certificate has to come directly to us and it includes English translation.

You will be required to provide them your case number, so please wait for your petition to be approved and sent to us and once we send you the instruction package then you go ahead and apply for police clearance.

There are few countries from which you can obtain police clearances directly and few countries need to send clearances directly to us and Israel is one of them. If you receive police clearance from Israel directly, we will not be able to accept it.

That's going to add more time to this process, but at least I know what to do now.

Former residents residing outside of Israel should apply in person at an Israeli consular or diplomatic mission.

According to the Israeli embassy in Toronto, I can send them a notarized copy of my passport, so I don't need to go in person.

Edited by vanee

K-1, AOS, ROC
2007, 2009, 2011

Naturalization

2016-06-15 - Biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.