m318627

k-1 Length of Courtship

52 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Baron555, I was told be another user on this site they wouldn't look at her financial information...only mine since I'm the petitioner. We would leave the children behind for a while because I live in a 55+ community & they do not allow children. I need to find a new residence.

Correct....but the Embassy has initmate knowledge of the financial situation or living requirements and situation of the locals.

I do not want to be stereotypical or judgemental or inflammatory, but older mother with grown children? ( how old are they), wishing to make for a better life for the family.....in communication with foreign single man, quite possibly with some financial capability, older age, wishing to somehow get to the US.

Don't speak a common language. Have you two met in person yet? Only six months into it.

Legitimate relationship or one based on circumventing the visa process just to gain permanent residence in the US?

That is the proof you'll have to show.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

She needs to enroll in an English class and you in a Spanish class and then you add that evidence to your front loaded petition so the CO

will have already seen it in your file (from USCIS) before her interview. Address the language and age differences in a 1 page timeline letter,

also front loaded. You will get by with the bare minimum for the petition approval but not at the consulate stage.

Prepare and front load now everything but the kitchen sink.

Be on the premises for the interview if possible.

Best wishes for your visa journey !

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Timeline

Baron555, her children are 9, 13 & 20. I've been to the Dominican 3 times to visit her...I've spent a total of 20 days with her so far.

More days than my wife and I spent together. You've been given good guidance on the front loading evidence that should be included.

Go to the regional forum and study up on that Embassy as I"m sure there have been similar cases.

I believe that Embassy can be both easy and hard on K-1, thus all of our concerns relative to proving the relationship and the evidence that should be included.

Your evidence should show content and quality as opposed to quantity. What do you talk about. Most relationships follow a normal evolution and your evidence should document this.

Baron555, I'm curious, if you only knew your wife for 3 months before you filed, how long did it take you to get approved & how were you able to prove you had a real relationship if you only knew your wife for a short period of time? Also, did you both speak the same language.

Timeline

Baron555, I'm curious, if you only knew your wife for 3 months before you filed, how long did it take you to get approved & how were you able to prove you had a real relationship if you only knew your wife for a short period of time? Also, did you both speak the same language.

No problem. For the 129f pettion we only had to prove that we had met in person, which we had plenty of evidence for (many of which was also evidence of a legitimate relationship, for which we included in the documents for the interview).

Our relationship evolved during the visa process, which took many months (filed in March, interview in November). I also purposefully generated all kinds of evidences based on findings here on VJ.

We also had an agreement that at any time either could call the whole thing off and we would just walk away. Did we place the cart before the horse? Yes, but we knew that but also didn't want to waste any time in case our initial feelings for each other were correct.

And we were both serious about being serious about it so our conversations were very intense. Very few of our conversations were of meaningless content. And since we couldn't meet in person easily, all we could do was talk. Skype is a great medium but we used many others also.

In the end, she was given a 221g letter at the interview to produce more evidence of the relationship (but they kept her passport). I did that and within two days they were approved (K-1 and K-2).

Most relationships evolve in a normal fashion, getting to know you stage, more intense talk, talk of becoming married, talk of love (couples planning to get married do that), talk of the visa process, talk of moving to the US, talk of life in the US, talk of education planning for the child, etc. All of your evidences should show snippets of all of these stages. Many folks do not document or maybe don't even have these conversations so therefore they have a tough time proving they have a legitimate relationship. It's also all country-specific.

Yes we both speak English.

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

I just read that an investigation is conducted on the fiancee before anything is submitted to the NVC & an interview is conducted. What does the investigation include?

Past terrorist activity, Interpol hits, that kind of thing. Think international background checks.

My sweetheart & I got engaged while I was in the Dominican over Christmas... I gave her an engagement ring. We've also started the K-1 visa process. Just to sum up our relationship...we've know each other since July; I've been to the Dominican 3 times in 3 months for a total of 20 days. We have lots of pictures of us together. We talk every day and I have enough money to take care of her. There's a 24 year age difference; my Spanish is limited & her English is limited. If I show up for the interview & we show them we are compatible & love each other & don't have a problem communicating with each other, is there any reason why we can't get approved by July? I live in FL where there are Spanish speaking people every where. So, she should fit in here.

Thank you.

Timeline

My sweetheart & I got engaged while I was in the Dominican over Christmas... I gave her an engagement ring. We've also started the K-1 visa process. Just to sum up our relationship...we've know each other since July; I've been to the Dominican 3 times in 3 months for a total of 20 days. We have lots of pictures of us together. We talk every day and I have enough money to take care of her. There's a 24 year age difference; my Spanish is limited & her English is limited. If I show up for the interview & we show them we are compatible & love each other & don't have a problem communicating with each other, is there any reason why we can't get approved by July?

No

I live in FL where there are Spanish speaking people every where. So, she should fit in here.

The Embassy doesn't take that into account.....but if you demonstrate your collective pre-planning for her future life in the US, then that is good evidence. So emails of discussions you two have had regarding that, or documentation of English classes offered at the local community college.

Filed: Timeline

Several posters have wrote "the Dominican". The country's name is "the Dominican Republic". This is like calling the US "the United" instead of "the United States" or even "the United" for the UK - "the United Kingdom". I'm not Dominican, but this always jumps out at me. I hope folks use the entire name of their spouse/fiance's country in the interview. If it jumps out at me, it'll jump out at the IO.

Edited by Harmonia

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Several posters have wrote "the Dominican". The country's name is "the Dominican Republic". This is like calling the US "the United" instead of "the United States" or even "the United" for the UK - "the United Kingdom". I'm not Dominican, but this always jumps out at me. I hope folks use the entire name of their spouse/fiance's country in the interview. If it jumps out at me, it'll jump out at the IO.

Odd, I gave friends who have never mentioned this before from the DR. They refer to themselves as Dominican, much like Americans are American.

Timeline

Odd, I gave friends who have never mentioned this before from the DR. They refer to themselves as Dominican, much like Americans are American.

But there is no country with the name of America.

Filed: Timeline

Correct, they are Dominicans. Their country name is the Dominican Republic. The DR=Dominican Republic. Its not the "D". :)

We are Americans from the United States of America. Americans are anyone from North or South America, much like Europeans are from any European country or Africans are from any African country.

Edited by Harmonia

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.