m318627

k-1 Length of Courtship

52 posts in this topic

How long should a couple date before applying for a K-1 visa? I've known my fiancee for 6 months. We met online & I have visited the Dominican 3 times in 3 months (spent a total of 20 days with her). We text constantly every day, all day long. Will immigration reject us because we haven't spent a lot of time together? Also, do we both have to show proof of income?

Edited by m318627

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Also, do we both have to show proof of income?

Only the income of the petitioner matters (so the income of the USC citizen). The foreign fiancee is never asked about their income at any point in the process. Some embassies will consider the assests of the beneficiary, but only if the income of the petitioner is not sufficient to meet the minimum requirements. I don't know if that will apply to your embassy though.

K1 Visa timeline: Application sent to Visa in hand: 10 months and 4 days (Texas Service Center)

02/26/2015: I-129F Application mailed to Texas lockbox

03/05/2015: NOA1 email notification

08/27/2015: NOA2! (176 days)

09/02/2015: Sent to NVC

09/14/2015: Called NVC and obtained MTL case number

09/18/2015: In Transit to MTL consulate

09/21/2015: Consulate received our file (24 days post-NOA2)

09/24/2015: Sent Packet 3 (unprompted, but CEAC status had updated a second time)

09/29/2015: Packet 4 received, interview scheduled. Still haven't received Packet 3, I advise not to wait for it!

10/09/2015: Received Packet 3 in the mail!

11/09/2015: Medical

12/16/2015: K1 Interview in Montreal (111 days from NOA2, 293 days total): Approved!

12/18/2015: CEAC status changed to Nonimmigrant Ready

12/21/2015: CEAC status changed to Nonimmigrant AP

12/24/2015: CEAC status changed to ISSUED! Merry Christmas!!

12/30/2015: Visa in hand

01/15/2016: POE @ Houlton, ME

01/22/2016: Married! (L)

AOS timeline: Application sent to card in hand: 6 months and 7 days.

01/25/2016: Mailed AOS, EAD & AP applications to Chicago via UPS

01/29/2016: NOA1 email notification x3

02/04/2016: Received NOA1 hard copies x3

02/29/2016: Still haven't received biometrics letter, Filed service request

03/30/2016: After more calls to Tier 2 and 2 service requests, letter still not received, USCIS said no appointment has been scheduled. Reached out to Congressman.

04/06/2016: Biometrics letter finally received thanks to Congressman's inquiry (Appointment scheduled 04/18/2016).

04/18/2016: Biometrics appointment

04/25/2016: Officially outside processing times for EAD/AP. Scheduled Infopass appointment for 05/10.

05/21/2016: Finally received email notice that EAD was approved on 05/19 after numerous service requests, infopass appt and ombudsman inquiry

05/23/2016: Received hard-copy letter notifying me that my AP was approved on the same day as my EAD. No hard-copy for EAD yet.

05/28/2016: Received EAD/AP Combo Card (122 days since filing).

06/21/2016: Received email notification of AOS interview (Appointment scheduled 07/21/2016)

07/21/2016: AOS interview. Approved, but file was missing medical. Local office can't issue GC until they receive medical from DOS.

07/25/2016: USCIS case status changed to New Card Is Being Produced!

08/01/2016: Green card in hand. ROC window opens Apr 29, 2018.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Welcome to the forum.

USCIS cares only that you've met within 2 years of filing and that you're both free and intend to marry.

However, the consulate (in your case the Santo Domingo embassy) will look for solid proof of a bona fide relationship. Front-load your USCIS petition with evidence of a bona fide relationship -- a goodly amount that would convince a doubting stranger of the bona fide nature. Spend as much "face time" together as you can. Be prepared to be on the embassy premises when the visa interview is ultimately scheduled.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I known people that had known each other for less time and got approved, as long u met in the last 2 years plus make good income and have good proof of a bona fide relationship you will be fine :)

Edited by MASH

Citizenship Journey:

K-1 Visa - Citizenship: 04/14/2015 - 09/20/22

7 Years 5 Months 0 Weeks 6 Days 10 Hours 30 Minutes 0 Seconds

US Passport Journey: (Expedited) 

USPS Passport Appointment: September 29th, 2022

Passport Office Received Documents: October 3rd, 2022

Passport Application Approved: October 19th, 2022

Passport Received: October 21st, 2022

FULL JOURNEY ADVENTURE:

https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=215312

DECEMBER 2022 N400 FILERS: (Update To Help Your Fellow Filers)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11xHTs0yLIeoAXIW-O5iYOvRRvbriVgu7JVw8xQq8QDw/edit#gid=0

I should add there's an age difference...I'm 71 and she's 47. Also, we don't speak the same language...we use Google translator. So many people think she's a gold digger looking for a green card & I'm worried immigration will think the same way. I've been told we'll never get approved.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

To be completely honest, this sounds like a fair number of red flags (though I don't know how significant age difference couples are treated in the Dominican Republic culture, but the language barrier will definitely be your greatest obstacle. Not to mention, knowing each other for only 6 doesn't help either). I'd highly recommend front loading and visiting a few more times with a fair number of photographs with her family and friends. Also maybe start collecting evidence of efforts made by one or both parties in learning each other's language (it couldn't hurt).

Actually, when it comes to language barriers, this case comes to mind:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/576753-interview-today-visa-refused/page-1

You should definitely be prepared and preemptively cover as many red flags as possible (relationship length, face time, and language issues will probably need to be covered).

Edited by vanityfair

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

Based on the information you provided, the case won't be easy for certain. However, that doesn't mean it will be impossible as well. Just don't rush the k1 visa and start building up a solid foundation for a strong relationship by gradually covering the red flags. I would start by finding ways to solve this language barrier issue as that will be the biggest case against you both.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I should add there's an age difference...I'm 71 and she's 47. Also, we don't speak the same language...we use Google translator. So many people think she's a gold digger looking for a green card & I'm worried immigration will think the same way. I've been told we'll never get approved.

As others have said, USCIS only cares that you had met within the past 2 years. The Consulate however, is a different story. Believe it or not, your biggest red flag is your language barrier and not your age. A CO could argue that texting alone, albeit with a translator, is not an effective means of personal communication, and would possibly request stronger evidence of a bonafide relationship.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

How long should a couple date before applying for a K-1 visa?

Only need to meet in person within two years prior to the filing date of the 129f petition. The meeting needs to last at least one second long; they could run off the plane, you two take a photo together and they get right back on the plane. That would work.

I've known my fiancee for 6 months.

Way longer than we knew each other before we filed (3 months for us).

We met online & I have visited the Dominican 3 times in 3 months (spent a total of 20 days with her). We text constantly every day, all day long. Will immigration reject us because we haven't spent a lot of time together?

Nope.....but look at the regional forums for country specific requirements and Embassy history with K-1s. It varies.

Also, do we both have to show proof of income?

Not now, only at the interview.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

What language does she speak? Are you able to take classes? Pimsleur is a very effective language course if it's covered. It may seem pricey, but you can often buy 5 lessons at a time and you can download the lessons and burn them to a CD if you aren't MP3 compatible. To overcome the language barrier, you should begin learning the language yourself. Purchase some language books.

Is she able to attend English language courses too?

Signature coming soon...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

As others have said, USCIS only cares that you had met within the past 2 years. The Consulate however, is a different story. Believe it or not, your biggest red flag is your language barrier and not your age. A CO could argue that texting alone, albeit with a translator, is not an effective means of personal communication, and would possibly request stronger evidence of a bonafide relationship.

Yep.

How did you two meet in the first place?

Have you met in person? For how long? How did you communicate then?

I'd say yes to more face time together and some effort on both parts to learn about each other.

If she's immigrating to the US, then knowledge of English will be key for her. Is she taking classes?

Are you sending her money?

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

Yea I agree the language barrier is the biggest red flag, its hard enough using all these apps , viber, voxer, line etc with the very bad quality communicating sometimes with each other and we both speak English very fluently so to have to use a Google translator must be extremely difficult. But you know what if you both got it in you for this long journey then go for it, never let anyone tell you it cant be done just be extremely detailed and have an arsenal of proof your relationship is legit. Good luck....

One more question. She has 2 children under the age of 18. Should she include them & bring them with her on her k-1 or leave them behind to show she has a reason to return to the Dominican? Have them join her later?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.