Rob L

Why Politicians Want You to Panic

50 posts in this topic

I don't know if it existed in the past, but it doesn't now. I simply belief we need to limit voting to people with a demonstrable knowledge of the topics. Too many voters are patently ignorant of every topic and we need to cut out the "get out and vote" stuff. We are not collectively made better by morons voting. And human nature is such that a large segment of the population just don't care about anything not in front of their face.

In other times this problem has been addressed by limiting votes to land owners, but that puts even more power in the hands of the rich, so my proposition is a basic skill testing question. If you can't get an 80% on it, go home we don't want your opinion.

My view on this is not popular, but it exempts exclusion by race, sex, economic background. It is a simple litmus to see if you know anything at all, because without knowledge how can you have any wisdom?

Your viewpoint is also unconstitutional. Why do you hate America?

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

But guns are great!!

Bill of Rights, Ranked (unofficial)

1. Fifth

2. First

3. Fourth

3. Sixth (tie)

5. Seventh

5. Eighth (tie)

7. Ninth

8. Third

9. Second

10. Tenth

Another take on the Amendments overall: http://deadspin.com/5969525/constitutional-amendments-ranked

Bill of Rights, Ranked (unofficial)

1. Fifth

2. First

3. Fourth

3. Sixth (tie)

5. Seventh

5. Eighth (tie)

7. Ninth

8. Third

9. Second

10. Tenth

Another take on the Amendments overall: http://deadspin.com/5969525/constitutional-amendments-ranked

The ranking from your link, even better. The second looks awfully lonely down there.

1. Fourteenth

2. Fifth

3. Fourth

4. (tie) Thirteenth

4. (tie) Fifteenth

4. (tie) Nineteenth

7. Ninth

8. First

9. Sixth

10. Eighth

11. Seventh

12. Sixteenth

13. Twenty-fourth

14. Seventeenth

15. Twenty-third

16. Twenty-sixth

17. Twenty-fifth

18. Twenty-seventh

19. (tie) Third

19. (tie) Twentieth

21. Twelfth

22. Eleventh

23. Twenty-second

24. Tenth

25. (tie) Eighteenth

25. (tie) Twenty-first

27. Second

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't know if it existed in the past, but it doesn't now. I simply belief we need to limit voting to people with a demonstrable knowledge of the topics. Too many voters are patently ignorant of every topic and we need to cut out the "get out and vote" stuff. We are not collectively made better by morons voting. And human nature is such that a large segment of the population just don't care about anything not in front of their face.

In other times this problem has been addressed by limiting votes to land owners, but that puts even more power in the hands of the rich, so my proposition is a basic skill testing question. If you can't get an 80% on it, go home we don't want your opinion.

My view on this is not popular, but it exempts exclusion by race, sex, economic background. It is a simple litmus to see if you know anything at all, because without knowledge how can you have any wisdom?

You have the germ of a good idea..hows about a test:

Does CO2 from industrial emissions cause climate change? YES NO

Are residents of the United States protected by the constitution ? YES NO

Would someone be arrested if they were not guilty? YES NO

Did people walk the planet with dinosaurs?

The content available on a site dedicated to bringing folks to America should not be promoting racial discord, euro-supremacy, discrimination based on religion , exclusion of groups from immigration based on where they were born, disenfranchisement of voters rights based on how they might vote.

horsey-change.jpg?w=336&h=265

The ranking from your link, even better. The second looks awfully lonely down there.

I also liked this ranking from the comments:

CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT POWER POLL:

THE ACTIVELY USELESS DIVISION

27. 18th

26. 2nd

25. 10th

24. 22nd

RELICS OF YE OLDEN DAYS

23. 11th

22. 20th

21. 3rd

PROCEDURAL FIXES THAT SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED IN THE FIRST PLACE

20. 27th

19. 25th

18. 12th

17. 26th

16. 23rd

15. 24th

KNOCK IT OFF, ALABAMA

14. 7th

13. 8th

12. 6th

WELCOME TO THE MODERN WORLD

11. 17th

10. 16th

THE WILD CARD

9. 9th

THE FREEDOM TO DO DUMB STUFF DIVISION

8. 4th

7. 1st

AND THAT'S WHY PENCILS HAVE ERASERS

6. 21st

5. 19th

4. 15th

3. 13th

THE ARC OF THE MORAL UNIVERSE DIVISION

2. 5th

1. 14th

I really agree with the first and second in this list. The Fourteenth is some powerful juju.

Timeline

I still think the original plan that spanked John Adams so bad:

Make the second most popular presidential vote getter a useless appendage that sits and listens to congress members babble on and on. This would make folks think twice about running.

27. 18th

26. 2nd

25. 10th

24. 22nd

RELICS OF YE OLDEN DAYS

23. 11th

22. 20th

21. 3rd

20. 27th

19. 25th

18. 12th

17. 26th

16. 23rd

15. 24th

KNOCK IT OFF, ALABAMA

14. 7th

13. 8th

12. 6th

11. 17th

10. 16th

THE WILD CARD

9. 9th

8. 4th

7. 1st

6. 21st

5. 19th

4. 15th

3. 13th

2. 5th

1. 14th

I really agree with the first and second in this list. The Fourteenth is some powerful juju.

The content available on a site dedicated to bringing folks to America should not be promoting racial discord, euro-supremacy, discrimination based on religion , exclusion of groups from immigration based on where they were born, disenfranchisement of voters rights based on how they might vote.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

27. 18th

26. 2nd

25. 10th

24. 22nd

RELICS OF YE OLDEN DAYS

23. 11th

22. 20th

21. 3rd

20. 27th

19. 25th

18. 12th

17. 26th

16. 23rd

15. 24th

KNOCK IT OFF, ALABAMA

14. 7th

13. 8th

12. 6th

11. 17th

10. 16th

THE WILD CARD

9. 9th

8. 4th

7. 1st

6. 21st

5. 19th

4. 15th

3. 13th

2. 5th

1. 14th

Im offended that the 2nd is mistakenly missing from the dumb stuff section. How many Darwin awards have been generated by "hold my beer and watch this" moments with firearms?

I still think the original plan that spanked John Adams so bad:

Make the second most popular presidential vote getter a useless appendage that sits and listens to congress members babble on and on. This would make folks think twice about running.

Johnson may have disagreed with that

I think prissy should just X out the parts of the constitution we don't like anymore and be done with it

Apparently there are 27 examples of the constitution changing.

One can make any kind of wild conjecture about what the Constitution might be in the future, but as it stands, your current desires to strip the franchise from those who do not meet some arbitrary intellectual threshold are unconstitutional. Oregon v. MItchell, 400 U.S. 112, 118 (1970).

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

One can make any kind of wild conjecture about what the Constitution might be in the future, but as it stands, your current desires to strip the franchise from those who do not meet some arbitrary intellectual threshold are unconstitutional. Oregon v. MItchell, 400 U.S. 112, 118 (1970).

Obviously. But I think it's worth considering if another amendment to the constitution would make the US a better country, a better democracy.

Good luck!

Obviously. But I think it's worth considering if another amendment to the constitution would make the US a better country, a better democracy.

Fair enough, but how would you draw the line in a way that isn't arbitrary? Who writes the exam? How long is it? Do you get one shot or many? Do you need to take it regularly or is once enough? How often should it be revised? Can states opt out? How about municipalities?

Really, you don't need an amendment to do this, and amending the constitution would take so much more work (you're working with the 1st, 14th, 15th, 19th, 24th and 25th, and probably more amendments I'm spacing on) than stacking the Supreme Court with justices who read the Voting Rights Act selectively could do more neatly.

Timeline

Fair enough, but how would you draw the line in a way that isn't arbitrary? Who writes the exam? How long is it? Do you get one shot or many? Do you need to take it regularly or is once enough? How often should it be revised? Can states opt out? How about municipalities?

You forgot sum

Is it an open book test?

Can I do an essay to make up for lost credit?

Can we have feats of strength the test?

Can we add prostate check and breast exams? That might be two public services in one.

we cant even all get on the same page concerning what science is acceptable to be taught in our public schools - so as not to offend the 'satan planted the dinosaur bones' truebible believing christians. i can only imagine the back and forth over what questions to include if we tried to have a comprehensive test for intelligence in order to vote.