Jump to content

When can we both move abroad again?

5 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Sorry if this topic isn't in the right place - feel free to move it. :)

But my husband and I have a question. We have just been approved our CR1 visa and I will be moving to the USA shortly.

We have made a decision that in a few years when we are ready to have children we want to move back to the UK.

But we was wondering how that stands with my status? What happens after 2 years, can I apply for duel citizenship? Would I be able to travel and live abroad after two years or does being out of my country for more than 6 years revoke my rights and I have to do this all again?


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


you will lose your GC and start all over again

for citizenship, first you have to remove conditions, you will get a 2 year GC because you are married less than 2 years. before the card expires, you will need to remove conditions, prove that your marriage is still bona fide, to get the 10 year GC

you can file for citizenship after 3 years of marriage, and 90 days prior to being a LPR for 3 years

but if you leave before that, you will lose your LPR status

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

After 3 years of permanent residency you will be eligible for citizenship (as long as you are still married to the petitioner). You may submit the application no earlier than 90 days before the 3 year date.

For example, you enter the US on February 1, 2016. Your green card will say that you have been a resident since that date. 30 days before February 1, 2019 (January 2, 2019) you may submit your citizenship application.

Edited by Anh map

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318


PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would also urge you to read this thread- its about the process to return to the UK with your US spouse. Its not easy or possible for everyone.


Also I think Ahn map skipped his coffee today- he used 30 days in the example when Im sure he meant to use 90 like in the first sentence./

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.