Sunnybanana1913

Can I file the Spouse Visa for her if we are not in her country?

29 posts in this topic

If she has everything she needs to legally stay in Pakistan then she can absolutely file there. She just needs to get her documents from the Philippines like police reports and such. Are you staying with her the whole time or are you moving back to the US ahead of her?

Actually we are just in Pakistan for visiting Family, and so she can see my country thats about it and We decided its best just to file the Spouse Visa while we're here and wait for it and thn its off to California. so thats basically my story. Ive been to Philippines as well :) Edited by Sunnybanana1913

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

So you guys are waiting it out for a year or longer in Pakistan?

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

NVC case numbers March 22nd
My sons AOS and IV bill paid March 23rd (status in progress)
My sons AOS and IV bill shows as paid March 26
My IV bill paid March 26
Both packages sent on March 26
My IV bill shows as paid on March 27th
CC on both cases March 30

Current record holder of fastest through the NVC :D

Medical exam in Stockholm April 13th
Interview on May 16th !!!

POE Anchorage July 12th!! 2012

July 2015 n-400 in the mail

September 2015, interview

October 23rd 2015, Oath ceremony!!!!!​​

If she has everything she needs to legally stay in Pakistan then she can absolutely file there. She just needs to get her documents from the Philippines like police reports and such. Are you staying with her the whole time or are you moving back to the US ahead of her?

We are both staying together for the entire waiting period for the Visa.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

That's awesome to be able to wait it out together! Just remember to file your taxes in the us even if you are gone for a year or more. Small things like that are easily forgotten! Also do you have a sponsor lined up?

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

NVC case numbers March 22nd
My sons AOS and IV bill paid March 23rd (status in progress)
My sons AOS and IV bill shows as paid March 26
My IV bill paid March 26
Both packages sent on March 26
My IV bill shows as paid on March 27th
CC on both cases March 30

Current record holder of fastest through the NVC :D

Medical exam in Stockholm April 13th
Interview on May 16th !!!

POE Anchorage July 12th!! 2012

July 2015 n-400 in the mail

September 2015, interview

October 23rd 2015, Oath ceremony!!!!!​​

That's awesome to be able to wait it out together! Just remember to file your taxes in the us even if you are gone for a year or more. Small things like that are easily forgotten! Also do you have a sponsor lined up?

Yeah have a sponsor lined up. Yeah, its nice to stay with your spouse if possible for some people in their situations.

you must have a US domicile before the visa is issued

What exactly is a US Domicile and do i have to get it in the States ? Or i can be abroad and get it ?

So its basically proof that Im going back to the States im assuming i can still file the i-130 though

Do yo know anyone doing something like this? I know someone did this for their Fiance Visa

I have been with my wife in the Philippines on a Balikbayan Visa (1 Year Free Stay) and I have processed all of her paperwork from the Philippines.

I am on a temporary visitor visa though so legally I'm not "residing" in the PH, just visiting. I still have an address back in the U.S. which I put on all of our paperwork.. It may change if you are actually a resident of the other country, I'm not sure.

I-612 Waiver of J1 Two Year Rule
12/31/2011 - Wife Entered U.S. on J-1 visa, Foreign Residence Requirement Applies
9/28/2013 - Married in the U.S.
7/23/2014 - NOA1 form I-612 for Waiver of the Foreign Residence Requirement (Basis: Extreme Hardship)
8/8/2014 - RFE Received
11/14/2014 - NOA2 I-612 Waiver Denied, Could not establish hardship
12/15/2014 - Sent another I-612 packet to U.S. Dept of state (Basis: No-Objection Statement)
12/15/2014 - Sent in application to Philippines Govt. for No-Objection Statement
1/14/2015 - No Objection Statement granted
4 months of waiting - The Philippines Govt. forgot about us!!!!
5/8/2015 - After multiple calls and emails the No Objection Statement was finally transmitted to DOS
6/4/2015 - I-612 Waiver APPROVED!

IR-1 Visa
6/3/2015 - Sent I-130 to Phoenix Locbox
6/4/2015 - NOA1
108 Days of waiting
9/22/2015 - NOA2
9/24/2015 - Case sent to NVC
10/1/2015 - Case received at NVC
10/14/2015 - Case number assigned
10/15/2015 - AOS Fee Paid online
10/19/2015 - CEAC AOS Fee status changed to "Paid" - AOS and IV packets sent to NVC
10/27/2015 - DS-261 was reviewed over the phone
10/29/2015 - DS-261 confirmed complete (over phone) and IV Bill Received - Paid online immediately "In Process"
10/30/2015 - Scan Date
11/2/2015 - IV Bill marked "Paid" and DS-260 completed

12/4/2015 - Case Complete (need to bring 1 corrected doc to Embassy)

1/6/15 - Medical Exam Complete

1/19/2015 - Interview Date

1/22/2015 - Visa Received (yellow envelope damaged)

Im just trying to figure out when I should be proving that im going back to USA after my wife gets her Visa. Do I include that when I send the i-130

Im just trying to figure out when I should be proving that im going back to USA after my wife gets her Visa. Do I include that when I send the i-130

You need to read the thread that was provided by link a few posts ago. You don't need to prove it yet but you will for the I-864 so it's a good idea to start getting your ducks in a row in preparation for that stage.

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

No, actually you don't.

You just need to show intent to domicile.

We addressed our bank, credit card accounts, etc to my parents house and that is the address we gave them as to where we would be staying after US entry.

We also filed from a third country. It was painless.

Edited by Expat1

No, actually you don't.

You just need to show intent to domicile.

We addressed our bank, credit card accounts, etc to my parents house and that is the address we gave them as to where we would be staying after US entry.

We also filed from a third country. It was painless.

Thank you is there anyway we could contact you like message you in Skype/Viber somehing like that, since you were in similiar situation as me. Thanks.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.