joshuah57

Changing from maiden name to married name

4 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

I've tried looking this up, but I keep getting conflicted results.

Here is the current status: My wife is a Romanian citizen living in Germany. She has been approved for her CR-1 visa. She will be entering the country on February 27th (Yay!!!). As of RIGHT NOW, everything is in her maiden name. We would like to change everything to her official name as soon and as painlessly as possible. We have everything setup to change her name on her Romanian passport and she will start that process just before she comes to the U.S. We would like to start her life in America with her married name if at all possible.

Is it possible to still change the name that will be on the green card? We do see that they list her married name as an alias on the visa. Can they make a change at the Point of Entry?

If she cannot change the from the married name on the green card, can we have her married name on her social security and driver's licence and wait till we remove conditions in 2 years? We are hoping we wouldn't have to spend $450 and wait 6 months for an I-90 when she will renew in 2 years anyway.

Please don't comment about what we should have done on our previous paperwork. We can't change nothing now, we just want to know how to move forward. We did what we did since we didn't want any delays and we wanted everything to be as smooth as possible.

She should be able to use her marriage certificate to make sure her DL and SSN come in married name. Then change the green card at ROC.

Can't change the green card at this time without the fee, I'm sorry.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

She should be able to use her marriage certificate to make sure her DL and SSN come in married name. Then change the green card at ROC.

Can't change the green card at this time without the fee, I'm sorry.

I was thinking the same, but I do see in some searching where people say the SSN and GC should match. Will SS let us change the name without change the name on the GC first?

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

In every state, state law allows a woman to legally change her last name to match her husband's last name. The only document required is the marriage certificate (from any valid authority - foreign is okay).

Google "name change after marriage + [your state of residence].

SS may have it's own requirements.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.