rms171

Choosing a Married Name In The US

6 posts in this topic

Happy New Year. I am thrilled to finally post a question on this forum as it means somebody is moving to the US in a week. Yippee.

My fiancee arrives from the Dominican Republic next weekend, after which we will get married a week later. I need some help on names as I am very sensitive to cultural differences when it comes to names in different countries. This is perhaps THE last item that we have to resolve before we are married, and no matter the answer, I will be happy, because there is more to life than a name anyway. Dominicans have two last names, the father and the mother. When a Dominican marries in his/her country what happens to the dual last names? I am asking because I don't know what to suggest to my fiancee when she arrives here and the topic of name change needs to be answered. Anything goes in the US though traditionally speaking the groom's last name is taken. So I am not sure what I should be telling her. If you are Dominican or from a country where two last names are customary, and you moved to the United States and married, what did you do?

I'm sorry if I put this in the wrong spot on the website. Happy to take private emails if you prefer to share one-to-one.

Michael

-RMS

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

Why don't you just ask her? I'm sure she can inform both if he customs and her personal opinion. After all, that's all that matters.

If it isn't difficult, it isn't worth it.

K1 process

9/24/15: I129f sent

9/30/15: NOA1

11/2/15: NOA2

Delayed processing due to work

3/15/16: Medical

4/28/16: Interview (approved)

Delayed entry due to work

8/12/16: POE Detroit

9/4/16: Wedding!

AOS process:

9/9/16: I485/I131/I765 sent

9/14/16: Received 3xNOAs by text/e-mail (day 2)

9/14-18/16: Received 3xpaper NOAs 

9/23/16: Received biometrics appointment letter (day 11)

10/3/16: Biometrics appointment (day 19)

11/4/16: EAD+AP approved (day 53)

11/16/16: EAD status changed to card shipped (day 65)

11/17/16: EAD/AP combo card received (day 66)

12/30/16: Notice of interview scheduled (day 109)

2/1/17: AOS interview (day 142) - APPROVED

2/8/17: GC received (day 150)

ROC process:

11/3/2018: ROC window opens

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I appreciate that you understand that 'anything goes' here.....since she doesn't need to change her name at all if she's happy with what she's got, the notion of the woman 'automatically' changing her name once married is a little antiquated. Only about half of my female friends have changed their names and then some only hyphenated. I personally changed mine since my now husband's name was/is so easily pronounceable in comparison to my maiden name.

Whatever she decides, you may both want to consider how any future children will be named.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

In my case, I left it up to her. She has her mother's and father's last name and she is choosing to drop her father's last name and add mine. You can go about it many different ways, whatever makes her comfortable is best.

I recently change my name to my husband last name and in the DMV they put both of his last name (2) i couldn't believe, because it used to be only one last name his father one, but the lady when to ask her supervisor and returned to me and told me since the marriage certificate shows that he has two last name she can not put me only one it has to be two, unless I bring an official document of his with one last name of his, for me this was odd. and now I have his two last name.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.