joe84

EAD questions

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi,

I am a K3 visa holder about to apply for EAD, and I'm in a time crunch because I have a job offer that requires me to start in about 3 months under the condition that I will have this EAD. I really need this job badly, and so I'm racing against time here. Could someone help me answer a couple of questions?

1) How soon can a person start employment after the EAD application gets approved? Is the physical card necessary before one can start employment? And how long does it actually take to get the physical card after the EAD application gets approved? It seems like it takes approximately 90 days to get the EAD approved, is that correct?

2) The note on the webpage that has the link to the I-765 application says, for (a)(9), LIFE K3/K4 category, the application must be filed at

Box 805887

Chicago, IL

60680-4120

But the application itself says, that "If your response to Question 16 is (a)(9), mail your application to":

USCIS

P.O. Box 7218

Chicago, IL

60680-7218

Which is the correct address?

Thanks.

Edited by joe84

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline
Hi,

I am a K3 visa holder about to apply for EAD, and I'm in a time crunch because I have a job offer that requires me to start in about 3 months under the condition that I will have this EAD. I really need this job badly, and so I'm racing against time here. Could someone help me answer a couple of questions?

1) How soon can a person start employment after the EAD application gets approved? Is the physical card necessary before one can start employment? And how long does it actually take to get the physical card after the EAD application gets approved? It seems like it takes approximately 90 days to get the EAD approved, is that correct?

2) The note on the webpage that has the link to the I-765 application says, for (a)(9), LIFE K3/K4 category, the application must be filed at

Box 805887

Chicago, IL

60680-4120

But the application itself says, that "If your response to Question 16 is (a)(9), mail your application to":

USCIS

P.O. Box 7218

Chicago, IL

60680-7218

Thanks.

We sent our EAD for our K3 to the USCIS PO BOX 7218 address and it is being processed. They sent our application to CSC and sent out the biometrics the same day. We applied in mid-january and had the biometrics in early feb. still no approval or card yet but they have been touching our account the last few days so I am hoping the card will be approved soon. We are not doing AOS here we will be continuing our CR-1 visa so we did not apply for AOS at the same time as most people do.

No idea if the letter of getting an EAD card is good enough for employment or not but from what I have seen people say on here that usually within a few days of approval that their EAD card arrives.

Michele & Omer

OUR K-3 INTERVIEW WAS ON NOV. 1ST @ 10:00!!!

VISA APPROVED!!!

WE ARRIVE IN THE USA ON NOV. 10TH!!!

joe84,

1) A person who is EA but does not have their EAD has 90 days from the start of employment to produce the EAD and show it to the employer. But if your potential employer is uncomfortable with this and won't put you to work until you show them the card, that's their choice. (They have to be consistent for all employees.)

2) The web pages with the links are more up-to-date than the forms themselves. Web pages can be updated quickly when information changes, forms have to wait until the next printing. Either address will get your package to the same place, the 'wrong' address will just mean that the USCIS mail room may take a bit longer to figure out what your submission is for and get it to the right clerical group.

Yodrak

Hi,

Box 805887

Chicago, IL

60680-4120

USCIS

P.O. Box 7218

Chicago, IL

60680-7218

Thanks.

Edited by Yodrak

Michele&Omer and Yodrak, thanks so much!!!

Yodrak, always appreciate your succinct responses with accurate information. Keep up the great work!

BTW, when you said "A person who is EA..", what does EA mean? Employment Approved? And is there any advantages (or disadvantages) to applying for the EAD separately over applying along with the AOS application? I will be doing them separately, because I am really short on time and just want to get the EAD thing started first.

Thanks again. Truly appreciate the help.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.