Crittlelee14

[Honduran] Husband, I'm feeling absolutely hopeless lately, can anyone relate?

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Honduras
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I've lurked around and browsed a bit over the last few year. Currently, everything seems absolutely futile.

My husband and I have been together a bit over 2 years, and we have an 8 month old son. I knew from the first few months that I wanted to marry him. I should probably plead ignorance, but I never realized how complicated the whole entire process is. I was lead to believe by American politics that once an " illegal" gets married, thats all there is to it. Bam, you're in.

My husband technically qualified for Daca, until we found out about the significant misdemeanor thing. Hes made a few mistakes in his teens / young age. He is a great person, and I wouldnt be with him if I wasnt 100% sure of it.

He has a criminal record, one DUI and a few driving without a license charges. It kills me to know, had he known the information prior, those driving without a license charges wouldnt matter. He could have gotten a license at that point.

We've spoken to a few lawyers, but lately it seems impossible. I planned on filing myself, because after the birth of our son we just do not have the money. However, his case is so complicated, I cant take the chance of doing it myself and making uncorrectable errors.

I am so very fearful of what life in central america would look like for me. I do not mean to come off as snobby or racist when I say this next part, but I grew up living a very sheltered life as a white woman in new england. His house in Honduras doesnt even have running water. The bathroom and shower are outside. There is no Air conditioning or a stove. This is all crazy to me. The idea of living in a little " mud hut" somewhere is terrifying. I know people do it, I know materialistic things arent whats important in life, and I have my family thats all that should count, but I really dont think I could adjust.

Not to mention the fear for my safety, and not wanting that life for my son. The idea that a republican could win office next term and completely change everything, its more than I can handle.

My husband has some tax issues that could result in a lifetime ban. I guess a 3 5 or 10 year I could live with, but lifetime? I dont know what its like to be fearful walking down the street.

I've mentioned possibly moving to Roatan, but either way there are safety concerns, and a giant change in standards of living.

I'm just so burnt out. Please tell me someones been in this boat? Please tell me you've been a spoiled brat and have relocated somewhere like this? Anyone? :(

you seem to be a great women, i liked your honesty.Also, i strongly believe that a illegal immigrant marrying a usc and bam you are in rule is still true to the majority. They say, you just need to hit the US soil once and the uncle sam will take care of ya(lawyers can find ways. the one big flag in your case i would say will be the crime your husband have committed or the tax fraud. this is what the USCIS do not like. On a different note, People from across the world want to come and live here(this includes the rich nations as well). i will suggest you to hire a immigration attorney so they can create/suggest a clean path for your husband , proving that he has changed or doing well (going to a school to be something , working hard on a job) something like that, i hope you get to be with your husband and the son sees the dad. good luck to you.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

How old was he when he entered illegally.

How old is he know..

Just the one entry?

DUI and driving without a license are not unsurmountable. What is his IRS issue.

I 601A seems out, did the LAwyers suggest a straight I 601, of not doable, why not?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

I was a Peace Corps volunteer, met my husband while I served in a small rural village without running water. After I served we lived in the states a bit and then went back down to Peru for a few years and had a baby, it was an adventure. I left Peru when my son was 10 months old to give him the life I knew back in the states. My husband should be here soon. We did what we had to do, it wasn't as horrible or even horrible for that matter living in his country, I enjoyed it. If it wasn't for the tax stuff you can really do everything yourself. But get some good legal advice with the tax stuff. Good luck to you.

Met in and lived in beneficiary's country 2010-2012

Applied 2012-Approved K1 in 2013 (approx 8 months Noa1-approval)- decided to postpone marriage and live together in beneficiary's country before marriage.

Married 11/30/13 -lived together until filing

Filed for K3-04/06/2015

Noa1 04/06/15

Noa2 08/06/15

NVC case # 09/18/2015-case became CR1 (it's true what they say K3 is obsolete-don't even attempt it)

Paid AOS 09/18/2015

Paid 261 09/23/2015

Sent AOS and IV packed 10/07/15

Scan date 10/08/15

DS-260 10/14/2015

11/10/2015 Found out I had a checklist

11/18/2015 Scan date for information they needed after talking to someone over the phone regarding checklist

11/19/2015 FINALLY recieved actual checklist

11/30/2015 Sent one more extra tax transcript to avoid any possible further checklists

12/16/2015 Requested an Expedite

12/29/2015 Expedite approved, case being sent immediately to Embassy/awaiting interview date

12/31/2015- CEAC shows case as IN TRANSIT

1/11/2016- CEAC shows READY

1/14/2016-Received interview date/packet-case became IR1 (married more then 2 years)

Medical Scheduled 1/22/2016

Medical Completed

Interview Scheduled 2/18/2016

VISA APPROVED 2/18/2016

2/19/2016 VISA ISSUED

3/05/2016 ENTERED USA!!!!

3/16/2016-Paid GC fee

4/25/2016-Received GC in mail!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I'm sure others will give you advice on how to solve your immigration issues. I wanted to address your quality of living concern. I think it takes a certain person to be ready to give up all that they have known for love. AC vs love, indoor plumbing vs love...those are decisions only you can make based on your priorities. If it turns out that your husband gets a lifetime ban would you prefer your son live in the luxuries of USA or with his father's daily presence? And granted I know nothing about Honduras, but in JA some people have nice homes others live in one room board houses without plumbing or AC. Wouldn't it be possible to purchase or rent a nicer place to live? Why would you be forced to live in a mud hut? Millions of people live happily without luxurious living. You never know it could open a whole new world for you. I'm not educated on the safety issues in Honduras so that may be a whole other problem, however, I am a firm believer that everything in life happens for a reason.

I hope you get answers to your immigrations problems and that they work out so your husband can join you here. But IF not would it truly be the end of the world? I know it may not be your first choice, but it may be workable. Try not to despair about it too much until you know for sure if he is able to overcome this problem or not. Easier said than done I know.

Best of Luck!

Timeline

How old was he when he entered illegally.

How old is he know..

Just the one entry?

DUI and driving without a license are not unsurmountable. What is his IRS issue.

I 601A seems out, did the LAwyers suggest a straight I 601, of not doable, why not?

He was 15.

He is now 23, well he will be 24 in a few weeks.

Only one entry.

Well, I'm not sure how much I should or shouldnt say on here, but basically his family provided him with a fake id when he was 16? I believe. This was bought off someone who was american. He then used this ID occasionally for different jobs.

When he was stopped for the DUI, he had that ID on him, so it is in the police report.

His family also brought him to a notary inside a travel agents office in 2012, to file 5 years of back taxes. That part never made sense to me, and finally he tracked down copies. He thought he was paying taxes. Blame ignorance and naivety I suppose. He spent 2000 on the " accountant" and paid something like 1500 combined for the taxes.

When I received copies a couple months ago, they are all completely fraudulent. No w2s or 1099s, random amounts claimed, itemized deductions, student credits as well as health insurance etc. It says he owned his own business, just a load of ####### all around. He had no idea of this, and didnt realize just how bad it was. One attorney suggested hiring a tax attorney and revising them, but we dont have any of the correct information, and its all just so confusing. Not to mention we just dont have the money to do all of this unfortunately.

I honestly dont know what the difference between the two listed are, I will go look them up. I just know everytime we've spoken about the waiver for hardship. The first attorney was a criminal defense attorney who I consulted about the DUI, he requires a retainer, and he has limited experience with immigration. The second will take the immigration case for 6,000 however she doesnt have a lot of crimminal background.

We have just enough in saving for filing fees and such, so coming up with either of those amounts has just held me back.

Timeline

I was a Peace Corps volunteer, met my husband while I served in a small rural village without running water. After I served we lived in the states a bit and then went back down to Peru for a few years and had a baby, it was an adventure. I left Peru when my son was 10 months old to give him the life I knew back in the states. My husband should be here soon. We did what we had to do, it wasn't as horrible or even horrible for that matter living in his country, I enjoyed it. If it wasn't for the tax stuff you can really do everything yourself. But get some good legal advice with the tax stuff. Good luck to you.

Thank you, I have a lot of respect for you! I knew a few people who visited different countries on mission trips with their churches. Actually when I was younger I dreamed of working for doctors without boarders. Hopefully Ill pick up some valuable information in research, and see what I can do. Im glad things are going well for you :)

you seem to be a great women, i liked your honesty.Also, i strongly believe that a illegal immigrant marrying a usc and bam you are in rule is still true to the majority. They say, you just need to hit the US soil once and the uncle sam will take care of ya(lawyers can find ways. the one big flag in your case i would say will be the crime your husband have committed or the tax fraud. this is what the USCIS do not like. On a different note, People from across the world want to come and live here(this includes the rich nations as well). i will suggest you to hire a immigration attorney so they can create/suggest a clean path for your husband , proving that he has changed or doing well (going to a school to be something , working hard on a job) something like that, i hope you get to be with your husband and the son sees the dad. good luck to you.

Thank you. He has been incident free for two years. :) Luckily my son does see his father every day. When hes not working hes playing with him.

Timeline

I'm sure others will give you advice on how to solve your immigration issues. I wanted to address your quality of living concern. I think it takes a certain person to be ready to give up all that they have known for love. AC vs love, indoor plumbing vs love...those are decisions only you can make based on your priorities. If it turns out that your husband gets a lifetime ban would you prefer your son live in the luxuries of USA or with his father's daily presence? And granted I know nothing about Honduras, but in JA some people have nice homes others live in one room board houses without plumbing or AC. Wouldn't it be possible to purchase or rent a nicer place to live? Why would you be forced to live in a mud hut? Millions of people live happily without luxurious living. You never know it could open a whole new world for you. I'm not educated on the safety issues in Honduras so that may be a whole other problem, however, I am a firm believer that everything in life happens for a reason.

I hope you get answers to your immigrations problems and that they work out so your husband can join you here. But IF not would it truly be the end of the world? I know it may not be your first choice, but it may be workable. Try not to despair about it too much until you know for sure if he is able to overcome this problem or not. Easier said than done I know.

Best of Luck!

I guess thats the tough question. I suppose until its real, I just truely do not know. I think on some level the idea of living here illegally and in fear the rest of his life is still an option? It would not be idea, no. Id rather find a country we could both go to that I'd feel safe I guess. When it came down to it though I cant see myself happy without him. I dont want my son to grow up having phone calls with his dad once a month the way I did.

There probably are nicer areas to live, I think the main issue is that you have to sort of already have money, and move down there, to live well. They dont have a lot of oppertunity to work and make a good living. I have read mixed reviews on the safety subject.

Thank you, you make a really good point, I know theres no sense in getting worked up before it happens, though its hard not to, I need to try to put it out of my mind.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I guess thats the tough question. I suppose until its real, I just truely do not know. I think on some level the idea of living here illegally and in fear the rest of his life is still an option? It would not be idea, no. Id rather find a country we could both go to that I'd feel safe I guess. When it came down to it though I cant see myself happy without him. I dont want my son to grow up having phone calls with his dad once a month the way I did.

There probably are nicer areas to live, I think the main issue is that you have to sort of already have money, and move down there, to live well. They dont have a lot of oppertunity to work and make a good living. I have read mixed reviews on the safety subject.

Thank you, you make a really good point, I know theres no sense in getting worked up before it happens, though its hard not to, I need to try to put it out of my mind.

I read your other posts too. Sounds like a complicated difficult mess (for lack of a better word). I truly hope you get it all sorted out one way or another. Just leave to God and do the best you can do.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Using the ID of a usc means false claim to citizenship which there is no waiver ever. Pretty bad news maybe the laws will change in the future

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

Using the ID of a usc means false claim to citizenship which there is no waiver ever. Pretty bad news maybe the laws will change in the future

Yea, I have to question the validity of the rule. I mean, he was 16-18, and basically used it to get into clubs, buy cigarettes, and he worked a few construction jobs that needed an id on file. Though it wasnt exactly through fraud, because the companies knew his real identity, so he didnt lie to gain employment, in that sense. But yes, either way, still illegal, and wrong, though I have to wonder if the severity of it matters.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Someone here went to their citizenship interview and passed and then applied for a job where they ticked they were a USC before their oath ceremony. They were denied citizenship based on that. To immigration it is a worse crime than murder. At 18 he was an adult .

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

This mammoth-sized immigration-law firm has extremely reasonable phone/e-mail consultation rates:

http://www.fosterquan.com/services/individuals-and-families/

They should, at very least, be able to clarify the avenues available to you. Let us know.

Disclaimer: I have no connection with the firm except as a satisfied former customer.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Yea, I have to question the validity of the rule. I mean, he was 16-18, and basically used it to get into clubs, buy cigarettes, and he worked a few construction jobs that needed an id on file. Though it wasn't exactly through fraud, because the companies knew his real identity, so he didnt lie to gain employment, in that sense. But yes, either way, still illegal, and wrong, though I have to wonder if the severity of it matters.

Those situations are not likely to be an issue.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Using the ID of a USC is not the same thing as a false claim of US citizenship.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.