The Conqueror

Granted 10yrs Green card- When can I apply for my citizenship?

21 posts in this topic

Good day to all Vj'ers,

Happy New Year to All!!!!! :joy:

August 24, 2013 - POE here in Seattle

September 28, 2013 - Got Married

April 07, 2015 - Applied for AOS (from K1)

December 30,2015 - GC Interview approved (10yrs Green card)

On August 24, 2016 will be my 3rd year here in US, does that means I can apply for my citizenship 90 days before August 24? Or 3 years will start the date of my Green card approval?

I hope anyone who experience this will share their inputs.

I love posting here in Philippines forum, because everyone can relate and give valuable inputs or answers.

All your inputs will be highly appreciated!!!!

God bless you all!

cheers,

Dahlia

N-400 (Online - Seattle Field Office)

(00days) 2018-10-01 Filed ONLINE - received Payment Confirmation the same day - paid by Credit Card

(04days) 2018-10-05 Received NOA by mail

(05days) 2018-10-06 Received email - Biometrics appointment is scheduled

(09days) 2018-10-10 Check my online account and my Biotmetrics Notification is attached and available

(11days) 2018-10-12 Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed - Walk-in no problem; saved 2 weeks (Original appointment date is Oct. 26)

(436days) 2019-12-11 I am US Citizen now!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Good day to all Vj'ers,

On August 24, 2016 will be my 3rd year here in US, does that means I can apply for my citizenship 90 days before August 24? Or 3 years will start the date of my Green card approval?

I love posting here in Philippines forum, because everyone can relate and give valuable inputs or answers.

God bless you all!

cheers,

Dahlia

Hi Just curious, you went from k1 in 2013 to applying a green card after 2 years?

If you're still married to (and living with) a US citizen in a bona fide marital relationship, you are eligible to file for US citizenship +3 years -90 days from the "Resident Since" date on your green card.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Look at your green card, that will show your resident since date. You will be eligible 3 years from the date provided that you are still married to the same person. You may file 90 days before you are eligible.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Good day to all Vj'ers,

God bless you all!

cheers,

Dahlia

You can file your N-400 90 days before the "Resident Since" date on your green card, not the date you entered the USA.

You just completed AOS, you didn't file the I-485 back when you first got married? If so you will have to wait a few more years to file the N-400

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Hi Just curious, you went from k1 in 2013 to applying a green card after 2 years?

I filed it late unintentionally, I filed it last April which was I was married 1 and 7 months. I was really worried at that time however my mother in law had a lot of health issues, in&put of the hospital so I set aside my application. It's sad to say but she died this February and there's a lot of things to take care of, and last April that was the only time we were able to breathe and have a chance to focus on my AOS application again.

(00days) 2018-10-01 Filed ONLINE - received Payment Confirmation the same day - paid by Credit Card

(09days) 2018-10-10 Check my online account and my Biotmetrics Notification is attached and available

(11days) 2018-10-12 Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed - Walk-in no problem; saved 2 weeks (Original appointment date is Oct. 26)

Timeline

I filed it late unintentionally, I filed it last April which was I was married 1 and 7 months. I was really worried at that time however my mother in law had a lot of health issues, in&put of the hospital so I set aside my application. It's sad to say but she died this February and there's a lot of things to take care of, and last April that was the only time we were able to breathe and have a chance to focus on my AOS application again.

Your 3 year date won't be for awhile then. Go by your green card, add 3 years to your Resident Since date, that is the magic date.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Your 3 year date won't be for awhile then. Go by your green card, add 3 years to your Resident Since date, that is the magic date.

Hi Hank!!!

Quick question: Below info is only an example if my Green card date will be January 15,2016 since I don't have my GC on hand yet.

Date difference from Oct 15, 2018 to Jan 15, 2019

The total number of days between Monday, October 15th, 2018 and Tuesday, January 15th, 2019 is 92 days.

This is equal to 3 months.

This does not include the end date, so it's accurate if you're measuring your age in days, or the total days between the start and end date. But if you want the duration of an event that includes both the starting date and the ending date, then it would actually be 93 days.

Base on "Online date calculator", my actual 90 days would start on October 18, 2018. That does mean I can file "WITHIN" October 18, 2018 to January 15, 2015? I read somewhere online that if you file even "A DAY" earlier the application will be rejected. I want to be pro-active this time to avoid some delays in application. =) And also what kind of documentation I need to gather? Is it the same as the AOS requirements?

Thanks Hanks!!!

Happy New Year!

Cheers!

Edited by dahlia0811

Timeline

Hi Hank!!!

Quick question: Below info is only an example if my Green card date will be January 15,2016 since I don't have my GC on hand yet.

Date difference from Oct 15, 2018 to Jan 15, 2019

The total number of days between Monday, October 15th, 2018 and Tuesday, January 15th, 2019 is 92 days.

This is equal to 3 months.

This does not include the end date, so it's accurate if you're measuring your age in days, or the total days between the start and end date. But if you want the duration of an event that includes both the starting date and the ending date, then it would actually be 93 days.

Base on "Online date calculator", my actual 90 days would start on October 18, 2018. That does mean I can file "WITHIN" October 18, 2018 to January 15, 2015? I read somewhere online that if you file even "A DAY" earlier the application will be rejected. I want to be pro-active this time to avoid some delays in application. =) And also what kind of documentation I need to gather? Is it the same as the AOS requirements?

Thanks Hanks!!!

Happy New Year!

Cheers!

Not 3 months, 90 days MAXIMUM before, If October 18, 2018 is the 90 day then from then onward to forever (you have your 10 year green card), there is no requirement to even file for citizenship.

Follow the instructions for the N-400 on the USCIS , it is pretty straight forward in the instructions.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Not 3 months, 90 days MAXIMUM before, If October 18, 2018 is the 90 day then from then onward to forever (you have your 10 year green card), there is no requirement to even file for citizenship.

Follow the instructions for the N-400 on the USCIS , it is pretty straight forward in the instructions.

Thanks Hank!!!!

I still rather have my citizenship card ;), easier to travel around the world :idea: . It is not easy to have Philippine passport and a Green card. I still need to abide with Visa requirements to other country.

Timeline

Thanks Hank!!!!

I still rather have my citizenship card ;), easier to travel around the world :idea: . It is not easy to have Philippine passport and a Green card. I still need to abide with Visa requirements to other country.

I agree it is much easier to travel once you have your U.S. passport. You can travel to other countries without a visa (may depend on the country but most are fine with the green card and your passport), my wife and I just got back from a trip to Canada last month - couldn't go there until my wife had her green card.

I was just pointing out there is only one limitation with citizenship... the 90 days before the eligibility date ... no limitation on the other end. ;)

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm so sorry to hear that, but congratulations on your GC and thank you for responding!

Filed: Timeline

Same case here..got here in US 2011 K-1 got married but just filed my AOS last Sept. of 2015.Had my interview just last Dec. and was approved.I have my 10 year GC now just a week after my interview.The officer that interviewed me explained that I have to wait 3 years before I can apply for citizenship.So start counting by the time you become permanent resident not by the time of the marriage..Happy New Year

Same case here..got here in US 2011 K-1 got married but just filed my AOS last Sept. of 2015.Had my interview just last Dec. and was approved.I have my 10 year GC now just a week after my interview.The officer that interviewed me explained that I have to wait 3 years before I can apply for citizenship.So start counting by the time you become permanent resident not by the time of the marriage..Happy New Year

Hey Congratulations to you too!!!!

Happy New Year!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.