PolarBearCBB

Household Sponsor and Poverty Level Questions (merged)

39 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

1. Okay so I live in a 2 person household. (Poverty Level required: $15,930) Which is gross income, thats after taxes.

2. I have a full-time job, and I've only been working almost 3 months. I make 7.25 an hour and I get attendance bonus of 8.00 an hour if I do not miss any days each week. Taxes is -$59.00 so thats $1044.00 a month and $12,528.00 a year. (I don't meet the poverty level for 2 person household)

My mother gets disabilty benefits to cover her ownself of about $720.00 a month something like that.

3. I don't own a house or car. But I have like TV, bedroom suite, and you know some nice small items. But nothing like a house or car. The car I drive is a nice car but we're paying on it for 5 years, don't own it, and its a $32,000.00 car.

4. This would be the first time I ever filed taxes.

So for the past 3 years, I haven't had a job or paid taxes. (So I need to get something called a "non-filing verification transcript for last 3 year") ? Where would I go get this done at?

5. In 2013-2014 I was attending trade school to learn office certifications and office skills. I also won a disabilty case that had been going on for about 7 years and they paid me for 1 year which was about $12,500.00 So does this help me to report this in my case?

6. Applying for K-1 visa for Thailand Fiancee

7. Also since I don't meet povery level, can I use a Joint Sponsor like say my Cousin or my Sister to help me meet 100%?

So I was hoping someone could explain what I need to do, and what documents i might need to get.

Many thanks!

Edited by PolarBearCBB

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

You cannot use anyone else's income to supplement your own. They must make enough to be over the poverty guidelines for themselves, any dependants they have, as well as the beneficiary.

You'll have to find a sponsor that can meet the 125%, as that will be required for adjustment of status after you're married. The 100% is only for active duty military. I've also not read where the amount has to be after taxes.

If you've not read the K1 guide here on VJ, I suggest that be your next step. You'll find all the information you need and we're always here to help clarify anything.

Good luck!

Our Journey:
04/19/2014- Met online
10/2014- Visited Nigeria and he proposed!!!! 
02/28/2015- Sent I-129F petition
03/05/2015- NOA1
09/2015- Visited Nigeria again!!!
10/28/2015- NOA2 (237 day wait at TSC)
11/13/2015- Sent to NVC
11/27/2015- Arrived at Embassy
06/2016- Third visit to Nigeria!
06/15/2016- Interview, given option to file I-601 waiver.
08/16/2016- Waiver submitted (no lawyer).
11/21/2016- Waiver approved with expedite.
01/2017- Embassy requested interview. 
04/2017- Fourth visit to Nigeria.  K1 officially denied. 
04/25/2017- NOA1 for 2nd K1.
07/27/2017- Case transferred to TSC.
11/17/2017- Case transferred back to CSC.
01/16/2018- NOA2!! (266 day wait)
03/08/2018- Interview (AP)
05/03/2018- VISA APPROVAL!!!
05/14/2018- Visa issued
05/18/2018- Visa picked up
05/25/2018- HE'S HOME!!! 💙💙💙

God has given me a great knowledgebase through research and other members here on VJ.  Please do not hesitate to reach out if I can be of any assistance to you! 

You cannot use anyone else's income to supplement your own. They must make enough to be over the poverty guidelines for themselves, any dependants they have, as well as the beneficiary.

You'll have to find a sponsor that can meet the 125%, as that will be required for adjustment of status after you're married. The 100% is only for active duty military. I've also not read where the amount has to be after taxes.

If you've not read the K1 guide here on VJ, I suggest that be your next step. You'll find all the information you need and we're always here to help clarify anything.

Good luck!

Okay, I am the petitioner, but I don't meet the poverty level, I make 15,360.00 a year, if you don't put taxes with it. Thats not enough for 2 person household, its slightly under it. So, since I don't meet it, I need a co-sponsor/joint sponsor for the interview, or will I be denied, or what should I do?

Edited by PolarBearCBB

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

Yes, you will need a co-sponsor for this who makes more than $19,912 a year based on their tax records (or more based on how many individuals are listed as dependencies on their 1040 tax return). So you and your cosponsor will both need to fill out an i-134 eventually with tax reports as supporting evidence (either a tax summary or a 1040+w2s for the past year). Even if you don't meet the poverty level, you still are required to submit an i-134 with supporting documentation as the petitioner. If you don't find a cosponsor you probably will be denied at the interview level and asked to return with a cosponsor.

Unless you have a substantial reason for not filing taxes, I would use the time now (while preparing your documents to submit with the i-129f and waiting for it to be processed) to file your taxes at least for 2015.

Edited by vanityfair

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Okay, I am the petitioner, but I don't meet the poverty level, I make 15,360.00 a year, if you don't put taxes with it. Thats not enough for 2 person household, its slightly under it. So, since I don't meet it, I need a co-sponsor/joint sponsor for the interview, or will I be denied, or what should I do?

Find a cosponsor, any USC will do....or wait until you make enough money.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

In your current situation you will be denied. Even if you meet the poverty guidelines with a co- sponsor which can be placing an unk own burden on someone else if your relationship with your fiancee after your married. They will be responsible to payback any monies paid to her by state or federal agencies, Just from reading what you wrote it makes one wonder how you will support your foreign fiancee. It also makes one wonder how you will afford the K-1 process and the required visits to be able to prove a bo bonified relationship, have you met in person yet? The disability money I'm assuming is already spent and not continual so this will not be considered. Maybe you think I'm being critical but the facts you described about you current situation will raise red flags even if you did meet poverty guidelines. Another think to check out is if your fiancee embassy will even allow you to have a co- sponsor. My suggestion is to work on becoming financially prepared to support a wife before you get married. Then build the evidence through visits showing proof of bonified relationship. Don't waste your time and effort and what little money you have to be denied and then get discouraged.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

In your current situation you will be denied. Even if you meet the poverty guidelines with a co- sponsor which can be placing an unk own burden on someone else if your relationship with your fiancee after your married. They will be responsible to payback any monies paid to her by state or federal agencies, Just from reading what you wrote it makes one wonder how you will support your foreign fiancee. It also makes one wonder how you will afford the K-1 process and the required visits to be able to prove a bo bonified relationship, have you met in person yet? The disability money I'm assuming is already spent and not continual so this will not be considered. Maybe you think I'm being critical but the facts you described about you current situation will raise red flags even if you did meet poverty guidelines. Another think to check out is if your fiancee embassy will even allow you to have a co- sponsor. My suggestion is to work on becoming financially prepared to support a wife before you get married. Then build the evidence through visits showing proof of bonified relationship. Don't waste your time and effort and what little money you have to be denied and then get discouraged.

I'm not sure of your credentials to approve or deny visas but I can say that many people are approved without issue having a co-sponsor for K1 visas. With him making his money as well as his mother's disability check (if they will still be living there), they will have around $2000 a month. That is doable if they live within their means. Will it be the most comfortable life? Maybe, maybe not- but it will give them the chance to grow together.

OP, visit if you haven't already, get your stuff together, find a sponsor, and file when you feel comfortable. There is no reason they should deny you if your relationship is legit and you've documented your relationship well and there are no other circumstances.

I'm not saying that money is not a concern because this is an expensive process. Research this process well and everything that it entails because that is an important factor. Your fiance will be unable to work until you're married and AOS is approved (as long as you file AOS/EAD/AP together).

Good luck to you!

Edited by FN&KO

Our Journey:
04/19/2014- Met online
10/2014- Visited Nigeria and he proposed!!!! 
02/28/2015- Sent I-129F petition
03/05/2015- NOA1
09/2015- Visited Nigeria again!!!
10/28/2015- NOA2 (237 day wait at TSC)
11/13/2015- Sent to NVC
11/27/2015- Arrived at Embassy
06/2016- Third visit to Nigeria!
06/15/2016- Interview, given option to file I-601 waiver.
08/16/2016- Waiver submitted (no lawyer).
11/21/2016- Waiver approved with expedite.
01/2017- Embassy requested interview. 
04/2017- Fourth visit to Nigeria.  K1 officially denied. 
04/25/2017- NOA1 for 2nd K1.
07/27/2017- Case transferred to TSC.
11/17/2017- Case transferred back to CSC.
01/16/2018- NOA2!! (266 day wait)
03/08/2018- Interview (AP)
05/03/2018- VISA APPROVAL!!!
05/14/2018- Visa issued
05/18/2018- Visa picked up
05/25/2018- HE'S HOME!!! 💙💙💙

God has given me a great knowledgebase through research and other members here on VJ.  Please do not hesitate to reach out if I can be of any assistance to you! 

The income requirement is GROSS income. It is not your take home income, it is the income BEFORE your taxes are taken out. AT 7.25 an hour, 40 hours a week, your gross income is actually only 15,080. This would be your current gross income. Not sure where you are getting the 15360 from.

The best advice would be to either increase your current salary, get a 2nd job, or get a cosponsor.

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- Filed N-400 online

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

08/11/2020 -- NOA1 received in the mail

12/30/2020 -- Received notice online that an interview was scheduled

02/11/2021 -- Interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

1. Okay so I live in a 2 person household. (Poverty Level required: $15,930) Which is gross income, thats after taxes. Do you currently live in two person household? or are you already considering your fiancee as one of the members?

2. I have a full-time job, and I've only been working almost 3 months. I make 7.25 an hour and I get attendance bonus of 8.00 an hour if I do not miss any days each week. Taxes is -$59.00 so thats $1044.00 a month and $12,528.00 a year. (I don't meet the poverty level for 2 person household)

My mother gets disabilty benefits to cover her ownself of about $720.00 a month something like that. VJ members please correct me if I'm wrong, It's my understanding if a co-sponsor is allowed in Thailand the co-sponsor would have to meet the poverty level requirement?

3. I don't own a house or car. But I have like TV, bedroom suite, and you know some nice small items. But nothing like a house or car. The car I drive is a nice car but we're paying on it for 5 years, don't own it, and its a $32,000.00 car.

4. This would be the first time I ever filed taxes. So for the past 3 years, I haven't had a job or paid taxes. (So I need to get something called a "non-filing verification transcript for last 3 year") ? Where would I go get this done at? You need to shed more light on what you mean by this is the first time you have filed taxes. Does this mean you have only worked 3 months in your lifetime?

5. In 2013-2014 I was attending trade school to learn office certifications and office skills. I also won a disabilty case that had been going on for about 7 years and they paid me for 1 year which was about $12,500.00 So does this help me to report this in my case?

6. Applying for K-1 visa for Thailand Fiancee Have you ever visited Thailand to help prove a bonified relationship?

7. Also since I don't meet povery level, can I use a Joint Sponsor like say my Cousin or my Sister to help me meet 100%? Again, I might be wrong but it's my understanding they won't be helping you meet the guildline, they will have to meet the guideline.

So I was hoping someone could explain what I need to do, and what documents i might need to get. First you need to have the question answered whether or not you are allowed to use a co-sponsor in Thailand. I've seen post's here saying they don't allow it, but I would call the embassy there to find out. There is also a requirement that you meet in person one time in past two years from time you file, you didn't mention if you have or not.

Please forgive me if I sound critical, but I'm just being honest with you to help you make right choices in being successful with bringing your fiancee to US to Marry you and live with you. I watched a friend of mine who tried to unsuccessfully get it his fiancee to the US, and watched his relationship fail when he wasn't able too. If this person really loves you they will wait for you. My suggestion is to develop a income history of one year, and in the meantime start meeting the requirement of meeting in person and collecting the evidence of the relationship.

Many thanks!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Yes the cosponsor must meet the minimum poverty levels on their own; one can not comingle the incomes.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Hello,

I earn $15,360.00 per year. So I am under the poverty level for a household of 2. But including my fiancee the Poverty Level would be $20,090.00 per year. That's 125% I suppose.

So, my mother gets disabilty benefit income from the government can she be a household sponsor to try and make up for the difference?

Also could I claim her as a dependent on my taxes this year?

Many thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

So, you already have a household of 2? Do you have a minor child or someone else you claim on your taxes? If not, then the household size of 2 is you and your fiance(e).

The I-134 for the K-1 does not allow for using income from a household member. You need to find a co-sponsor that makes enough for their own household size plus your fiance(e).

Who are you asking about claiming on your taxes?

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

you cannot combine income on a fiancé visa, so you will need to find a joint sponsor that will qualify on his or her own

So, you already have a household of 2? Do you have a minor child or someone else you claim on your taxes? If not, then the household size of 2 is you and your fiance(e).

The I-134 for the K-1 does not allow for using income from a household member. You need to find a co-sponsor that makes enough for their own household size plus your fiance(e).

Who are you asking about claiming on your taxes?

Yeah, could I claim my mother who is on disabilty benefits as a dependant on my taxes for this year? Would this be a bad idea for the K-1 case?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.