Alaska2012

Got a ref when applying for my sons passport

30 posts in this topic

Lilsweetie you will still not be able to get your kid a passport without your ex signing the documents. But by filing the N-600 he might change his mind since the kid won't be able to travel back to Canada to see him without a US passport

Children under 16 can travel by land between Canada and the USA with a proof of citizenship, no passport required.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

I did not know that! Then disregard my comment! At least the child can travel to Canada. And once the child turns 16 only one parents signature is needed and they can get the passport!

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

NVC case numbers March 22nd
My sons AOS and IV bill paid March 23rd (status in progress)
My sons AOS and IV bill shows as paid March 26
My IV bill paid March 26
Both packages sent on March 26
My IV bill shows as paid on March 27th
CC on both cases March 30

Current record holder of fastest through the NVC :D

Medical exam in Stockholm April 13th
Interview on May 16th !!!

POE Anchorage July 12th!! 2012

July 2015 n-400 in the mail

September 2015, interview

October 23rd 2015, Oath ceremony!!!!!​​

I did not know that! Then disregard my comment! At least the child can travel to Canada. And once the child turns 16 only one parents signature is needed and they can get the passport!

Not perfect, but better than being stuck in the USA...

Timeline

That's the case!

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

My IV bill paid March 26

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Wow! That's great news! that's one less thing to worry about :)

It's so frustrating to have to rely on the other parent for stuff like this. I am obviously not a flight risk, there is no good reason for NOT signing the US passport other than he is an ###. I'm debating taking it to court or not. I'm pretty sure a judge would agree with me but sucks that I have to have it heard in a court in Canada (they still have jurisdiction since that is where we used to live and our original court case was settled). I'm torn between fighting it out in court or just letting it go and saving the anxiety, $, court battle since I don't "need" the passport for land travel (just air)... ugh...

CR1 / CR2 Visa:

(Day 1) 12/16/11: I-130 Application sent

(Day 283) 09/24/12: Interview at US Consulate – Approved!

(Day 287) 09/28/12: Visa Received & Immediately entered US using Visa

(Day 290) 10/01/12: Social Security Card sent automatically

Removal of Conditions CR1 / CR2
(Day 1) 07/28/14: Application sent.
(Day 135) 12/10/14: ROC Approved!
(Day 143) 12/18/14: 10 year GC received (IR1 / IR2)

Naturalization:
(Day 1) 06/30/15: Application sent.
(Day 210) 01/26/16: Interview and Oath Ceremony. DONE!

***Son and I became US Citizens 01/26/16***

(Day 1) 01/27/16: Applied for my U.S. Passport
(Day 14) 02/10/16: Passport Book & Cert of Naturalization received

(Day 1) 03/16/16: Applied for U.S. Passport for son

(Day 22) 04/07/16: Passport book and original docs received...(Card rec'd 04/16/16)

N-600 for child age 9
(Day 1) 01/27/16: Application sent

(Day 12) 02/08/16: NOA received

(Day 23) 02/19/16: Case received at local office

(Day 88) 04/23/16: In line for oath scheduling *Called USCIS to inquire about why there is an oath required for a child under 14. They sent a service request to the field office.

(Day 95) 04/30/16: Received letter from field office to say no oath necessary and that they would mail the certificate.
(Day 106) 05/11/16: Cert of Citizenship received by registered mail (they never sent tracking. case status was never updated either)

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

Sweet!!!!! The passport people finally came to their senses and accepted the swedish papers I sent in to prove I have sole custody! It sure took them time but today I got a tracking number and the passport is on its way!

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

My IV bill paid March 26

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

That is so great to hear, Alaska2012!

CR1 / CR2 Visa:

(Day 1) 12/16/11: I-130 Application sent

(Day 283) 09/24/12: Interview at US Consulate – Approved!

(Day 287) 09/28/12: Visa Received & Immediately entered US using Visa

(Day 290) 10/01/12: Social Security Card sent automatically

Removal of Conditions CR1 / CR2
(Day 1) 07/28/14: Application sent.
(Day 135) 12/10/14: ROC Approved!
(Day 143) 12/18/14: 10 year GC received (IR1 / IR2)

Naturalization:
(Day 1) 06/30/15: Application sent.
(Day 210) 01/26/16: Interview and Oath Ceremony. DONE!

***Son and I became US Citizens 01/26/16***

(Day 1) 01/27/16: Applied for my U.S. Passport
(Day 14) 02/10/16: Passport Book & Cert of Naturalization received

(Day 1) 03/16/16: Applied for U.S. Passport for son

(Day 22) 04/07/16: Passport book and original docs received...(Card rec'd 04/16/16)

N-600 for child age 9
(Day 1) 01/27/16: Application sent

(Day 12) 02/08/16: NOA received

(Day 23) 02/19/16: Case received at local office

(Day 88) 04/23/16: In line for oath scheduling *Called USCIS to inquire about why there is an oath required for a child under 14. They sent a service request to the field office.

(Day 95) 04/30/16: Received letter from field office to say no oath necessary and that they would mail the certificate.
(Day 106) 05/11/16: Cert of Citizenship received by registered mail (they never sent tracking. case status was never updated either)

• 3 years later...
On 3/17/2016 at 11:14 AM, Alaska2012 said:

Sweet!!!!! The passport people finally came to their senses and accepted the swedish papers I sent in to prove I have sole custody! It sure took them time but today I got a tracking number and the passport is on its way!

Hi OP, I see that this is an old thread so this is a long shot but....

What evidence did you provide to meet the "physical custody" part of the requirement? I believe they honored your son's birth certificate as evidence of "legal/sole custody". For me they are wanting more proofs such as tax records, medical, school, etc. Did you have to send in those or did your explanation for the birth certificate made it suffice to meet the whole "physical and legal custody" criteria? 

Timeline
2 hours ago, Deanne81 said:

Hi OP, I see that this is an old thread so this is a long shot but....

What evidence did you provide to meet the "physical custody" part of the requirement? I believe they honored your son's birth certificate as evidence of "legal/sole custody". For me they are wanting more proofs such as tax records, medical, school, etc. Did you have to send in those or did your explanation for the birth certificate made it suffice to meet the whole "physical and legal custody" criteria? 

They did not honor my son’s Swedish birth certificate but another Swedish document I had gotten translated. They did not want my tax records or medical records or such since they won’t prove anything. 

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

My IV bill paid March 26

3 hours ago, Alaska2012 said:

They did not honor my son’s Swedish birth certificate but another Swedish document I had gotten translated. They did not want my tax records or medical records or such since they won’t prove anything. 

Thanks for the response.

Interesting, in my case they specifically asked for tax records, medical and school records. I have those but only copies which I guess I could get notarized.  The only other document I have is his birth certificate declaring me, and me alone, as parent. 

I'm  desperate for ideas, as I cannot afford a lawyer or a USCIS N600 certificate of citizenship (it is currently around $1200 now!)

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Deanne81 said:

Thanks for the response.

Interesting, in my case they specifically asked for tax records, medical and school records. I have those but only copies which I guess I could get notarized.  The only other document I have is his birth certificate declaring me, and me alone, as parent. 

I'm  desperate for ideas, as I cannot afford a lawyer or a USCIS N600 certificate of citizenship (it is currently around $1200 now!)

That’s strange that you would need those documents because they will not state weather or not you have sole custody. For me I had a hard time because they wanted a court document from Sweden stating sole custody but Sweden don’t use courts for these matters. But I had another document they eventually accepted.

What documentation do you have that prove that you have sole custody?

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

My IV bill paid March 26

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.