monicatony

passport not valid for a year! freaking out!

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I know it's my own fault but I just need to vent and perhaps warn others to make sure their passport is valid for at least one year. My passport is good until this Sep. so I mistakenly thought I could wait for all this big rush and delay at the Canadian passport offices to die down a bit before renewing mine. (You know, the new laws of flying to the US require a passport so all the spring breakers bogging down the system). It wasn't until I actually filled out the packet three forms last night that I realized they actually asked for the passport number and date of expiry. Then....panic!! I thought I could send this all back now and I would get in to get my passport renewed before the typical 4 month wait for an interview in Montreal passed. Not sure if anyone else had this happen. Has anyone had a passport expedited for emergency reasons??? I wonder if the passport office would consider this an emergency. I might be desperate and send back the checklist and forms and hope they don't get rejected. YIKES. Any thoughts?

Monica

Timeline

oops...just read message from am1996 about the passports and PHEW...hope they will be okay with me too. I think I'll just include a note on my Packet 3 ppwk that I will be renewing the passport asap. and send it all off and hope for the best!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

If you take it into an office with your documents from packet 3 I'm pretty sure you can have it expidited. I did it with my daughter. Good luck.

K-1/K-2 Visas

April 20 2006 ~NOA1

July 05 2006 ~IMBRA RFE

Aug 14 2006 ~RFE (further proof of meeting)

Aug 18 2006 ~Approved NOA2 (Day 120)

Oct 10 2006 ~packet 4 received

Nov 14 2006 ~Montreal interview (expedited due to child aging out) SUCCESS :)

Nov 15 2006 ~Pick up visas

Nov 16 2006 ~Fly to San Francisco from Mtl

Nov 18 2006 ~Wedding

AOS/EAD/AP

Dec 18 2006 ~Documents filed

Dec 22 2006 ~NOA1

Jan 10 2007 ~Biometrics appointment

Mar 07 2007 ~AOS interview San Francisco-SUCCESS :)

Mar 19 2007 ~Received Green Cards

I-130 for Daughter

July 28 2007 ~Documents filed

Timeline

I just got my K3 Visa end of January...My Passport expires in September also.

On your packet 3 check list...under Passports: it says

must have at least 6 months validity beyond your issuance date of your visa!

so keep that in mind!

I am not going to try and renew my passport until all the line up hype dies down!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
oops...just read message from am1996 about the passports and PHEW...hope they will be okay with me too. I think I'll just include a note on my Packet 3 ppwk that I will be renewing the passport asap. and send it all off and hope for the best!!

am1996's note only deals with the AOS interivew in the US and the granting of permanent resident status.. it does not apply to a visa given at the consulate. In order to issue the visa, the passport must be valid for the entire period that the visa is valid... meaning that if the visa were issued today (3/9/07) the passport must be valid until at least (9/10/2007)...

So I suggest that you go to a passport office to get it in person, bring your letter for the consulate with the interivew date and request that it be expedited...

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Timeline

I ended up emailing the consulate in Montreal and they just responded today that I do need the info from the NEW PASSPORT in the packet 3 forms. I will go to the passport office in person asap and ask them to expedite it. Wish me luck. Drats.... another senseless delay... another lesson learned. :(

Monica

p.s I mentioned to them I changed my address and they updated that info with no problem and no forms to fill out. At least that part was uncomplicated....

Timeline

If you go to passport office tell them why you need it fast they will do it for immigration i applied and had mine in 2 weeks costs 10.00 extra per passport

wedding 2006-06-03

i130

2006-06-24.......mailed

06-07-18.......noa1

09-19.......touched[li

09-20.......rfe sent

09-25.......rfe mailed back

10-02.......rfe email received uscis

10-03.......touched

12-12.......APPROVED

i129f

06-08-21......mailed

06-08-29.....noa1

06-09-02....touched

06-09-09....touched

06-10-20...touched ...sent to csc

06-10-27...touched

06-11-15...APPROVED 07-03-08 interview and visa approved

1. EAD.... sent may 13
  2. biometrics.....june 13
  3. ead transfer to csc.....july 13

4. EAD card in production

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.