Bjorn&lyne

Conditional 2-year Green Card or 10-year Green Card for K1

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have read online that being on K1 status means getting a conditional 2-year Green Card. As conflicting information, I have also read that some K1 visa holders instead get a 10-year Green Card. To me, it makes sense if all K1 approvals lead to a conditional 2-year Green Card. However, a close friend of mine arriving on a K1 and thus married significantly less than 2 years when she applied for AoS recently received a 10-year Green Card instead of a conditional Green Card. Is there any consistency within the USCIS who receives a conditional 2-year Green Card or a 10-year Green Card for individuals on K1 status? We were just today notified electronically that our I-485 is approved so we still awaiting the actual physical card in the mail at the time of this writing. Thus, I am curious how the USCIS decides who receives a 2-year conditional vs a 10-year Green card when on K1 and married less than 2 years at the time of filing for AoS.

Edited by Bjorn&lyne

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

it depends on length of marriage at the time of interview, if it is over 2 years, then a 10 year GC is received. some people wait, maybe due to financial situations to adjust status a year after marriage, and probably at the time of interview have over 2 years of marriage

how long was your friend married at the time of the interview? and also it can be a mistake, some receive a 10 year GC incorrectly

immigration makes mistakes all the time

it all depends on the situation

Timeline

From the time my friend got married until the Green Card Interview, it was about one year. She claims that she was told specifically during the USCIS Green Card interview that she would get a 10-year card instead of a conditional 2-year card. The couple had been together for a few years prior to getting married as they dated, got engaged and even lived together in Dubai before moving to America. She received her K1 while still in Dubai. Maybe that played a part as well, meaning her previous circumstances in Dubai proved to the USCIS that the relationship was genuine well before the AoS interview, in other words like you are stating, it depends on the cirsumstances.

Edited by Bjorn&lyne

I think her 10 year card was a mistake.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

I told her to call the USCIS and check on her Green Card to verify if it is a mistake or not so it does not cause problems for a future Naturalization application.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

I told her to call the USCIS and check on her Green Card to verify if it is a mistake or not so it does not cause problems for a future Naturalization application.

Good advice and I hope she takes it. I have to wonder what morons work there to tell her specifically that she will be issued a 10 yr GC.

I am sure it was a mistake that could carry bad consequences if she doesn't get a tier2 on the line.

Happened to a friend of mine and they had to return it, big hassle but necessary.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Not just naturalization, but also if she doesnt remove conditions then she can be deported! This is a big deal to get right.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

It's not about how long they've been married at their interview, it's how long someone has been married on the day of their I-485 approval that determines whether or not they receive a 2 year conditional green card or a ten year unconditional green card. This is not always the same day as the interview, if their case has to be continued for supervisor review, or perhaps issue an RFE.

If, on the day of approval they have been married for less than two years then they will receive a two year conditional green card that they will then have to remove conditions from in almost two years time.

If, on the day of approval they have been married for two years or more then they will receive a ten year unconditional green card for which no RoC is required.

If someone should have received a two year green card but instead received a ten year green card then this can cause them serious issues down the line, despite it being a USCIS error. They will need to file for RoC, and by not doing so will go out of status once it all gets straightened out. Theoretically, they could wind up being deported over it.

Edited by Hypnos

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

A lot of people trying to scare you here, but we went through this, and I know several others. We talked with USCIS and even attempted to remove conditions, which was rejected. There were no issues at naturalization. None of the other people I know that got an early 10 year green card had problems later.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

The law is very clear. Just because you got lucky does not mean everyone in your situation will be.

USCIS can seek to remove any immigration benefit - including naturalisation - if it was based on erroneous information, and even if it was USCIS' fault.

AoS

77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview

Naturalisation

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

The law is very clear. Just because you got lucky does not mean everyone in your situation will be.

USCIS can seek to remove any immigration benefit - including naturalisation - if it was based on erroneous information, and even if it was USCIS' fault.

I know the law, and I know what I did to ensure we would not have a problem.

Your actual experience with this issue is???

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

I have a brain and I know how to use it.

AoS

77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview

Naturalisation

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

• 1 year later...
On 11/25/2015 at 5:58 AM, Neonred said:

A lot of people trying to scare you here, but we went through this, and I know several others. We talked with USCIS and even attempted to remove conditions, which was rejected. There were no issues at naturalization. None of the other people I know that got an early 10 year green card had problems later.

@Neonred, was there anything specific you had to do? We just started getting everything together to remove conditions for my husband, and just then realized he had been issued a 10 year card despite us not having been married 2 years at the time of issue. I've called and spoken to the USCIS helpline people, and one told me that if he had a 10 year card we would be fine and didn't need to do anything. I was nervous so I called again and another person advised we schedule a meeting with our closest field office to be sure, but I'm curious what exactly you went through to verify that you didn't have to remove any conditions if you don't mind sharing.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to resurrect a post that's been inactive for a while, but just thought I'd update in case anyone else is scrolling through looking for answers...

We ended up scheduling an appointment with our field office almost a year ago (when I originally posted looking for advice) and spoke to someone in person who pulled up our case in the system and told us that we didn't need to do anything. The key was, when we went in we had been married for more than 2 years, so the officer told us that seeing as we would qualify for the 10-year card at that point they would not require us to get a new card or go through the removal of conditions process. We figure it's more hassle/potential expense in wages for them than it's worth to get us to go back and file for a corrected green card and then removal of conditions that then have to be processed, despite the fact that we also didn't have to pay the $600 fee for removal of conditions.

So, my advice is, if you notice that you have mistakenly gotten a 10-year card and you feel that you need to speak to someone official to make sure you'll be alright, wait until you're past the point that you would qualify for the 10-year card as they're unlikely to make you change it at that point. We just filed my husband's N400 online on 04/17/2018 and have already received NOA and the biometrics appointment (though we can't see the biometrics date/time yet), so hopefully it all goes smoothly!

Edited by Alexjaco

• 5 months later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 11/24/2015 at 6:18 AM, Bjorn&lyne said:

hello, my friend also got a 10yr GC but they have been married 1yr 1 month at the time of interview. she said that it is not a mistake bec. the interviewer told them that they will get the 10yr. GC. i wonder what happened to your friend's case? is there any problem caused by the 10yr. GC?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.