dude9er

Travel abroad while processing

9 posts in this topic

Timeline

I've come across a little dilemma. I am due to submit my 2 year paperwork to lift the conditions on my green card on June 1 2007. My wife and I were planning to travel to Canada on June 23 2007, this would put me in the status of "process pending". Given the fact that border officers have a lot of power these days, if they see this "pending process" on my Passport is there a high chance of them denying my re-entry into the States?

Also, my current green card expires on August 31st 2007 and I'm wanting to visit Canada once again in September for my brother's wedding, is it possible to apply for an Advanced Parole card to enable me to go without the worry of border hassle?

Do people travel while going through this change of status?

In my gut I feel I should not leave the US until I receive my new card, but I wanted to throw this out there to see what Visa Journey members think.

How often do people receive their new green card BEFORE their current conditional GC expires?

BTW, I'm in California.

Thanks in advance!!!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

as long as your green card doesn't expire before you get back from Canada , you should be ok...

about a month or so after you submit your forms you will receive a NOA which extends your conditional Green card for a year from the date your Green card expires... .. if you travel internationally you need to take this NOA and your Green card....

I was just doing some rough calculations and I think that if you submit your form on June 1st that might be cutting it kind of close to the 90 day window... You can file within 90 days of your green card expiry date and not before....

and it is 90 days not 3 months....

Edited by MarilynP
mvSuprise-hug.gif

:thumbs:

I'm in a similar position (Collecting and bringing daughter home from custody visit to the UK after our GC expired) and read the rules every which way. With $3k of flights booked I needed some reassurance so booked an INFOPASS appointment at my local office in Philly. Here's how it works....

SEND in the paperwork as early as possible within the 90days. IMPORTANT - send it such that you get a return receipt

The NOA thingy should arrive in a couple of weeks extending your GC for another 12months. THe NOA and the expired GC TOGETHER will get you back into the US within that year. (Presumably you need a new passport too)

IF the NOA hasn't arrived and you're about to travel with an expired GC (or due to expire before you return) make an INFOPASS appointment at your local office.

Take the PHOTOCOPIES of the paperwork you submitted (everyones does that right?) and the RETURN RECIEPT (IMPORTANT - you need to prove you submitted the paperwork) Take your expired GC and passport and the nice person at immigration will put a stamp in your passport that extends your GC enabling you to get back into the US he said there would be no problems getting this.

If you have kiddies that need extensions on their GC to travel they MUST ATTEND THE INTERVIEW TOO.

I plan to make an appointment for about a week before we travel and cancel it if the NOA shows up.

Hope this helps :)

14Feb05 Married

21Mar05 Court gives permission to remove child to US

15Apr05 I-130 received by Embassy (London)

22Apr05 Got back all 'extra' docs I sent with I-130 saying 'not required'

25Apr05 Received postcard saying I-130 filed with DHS London - Yeh we're DCFing

19Apr05 I-130s filed with DHS London

26Apr05 Send DS-230 Pt1 and DS 2001 to Embassy - why wait for the Pkt3?

27Apr05 DS230 Pt1 and DS2001 received by Embassy

19May05 I-130 Approved by DHS (Form I-171)

26May05 DS-230 Pt1 and DS2001 processed by Consulate

31May05 Reply to email from Consulate telling us to book medical and that Ds230 processed last week

24June05 Medical at London

04Jun05 Pk4 from Embassy

19Jul05 INTERVIEW. PASSED !! BRILLIANT

17August05 On a plane to Newark and on to PA Whoopppeee!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Aswesome post, pumpkinsnook! :energetic:

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Timeline

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Pumpkinsnook, great details, thanks. We decided to wait on the travel as it's too much of a pain to drive two hours to our local office and get my passport stamped (which I'm trying to renew abroad and waiting for anyway). It was a tough decision and all of you feedback is appreciated!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

How long are you planning on staying in Canada? If you will back before the end of August couldn't you just wait to apply until you return?

Imported alien is from Sulawesi, Indonesia

NOA1 -- April 2004

NOA2 -- August 2004

K-1 granted--- October 2004

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I am kind of in the same situation. I have to go India but the green card expires in May 1st. I am getting all the documents ready and applying for I-751 this saturday.

We plan to go to India in march end april end so we can be back before may 1st.

Hope everything goes good.

how long does it take before they send the form so you can travel?

I have

joint tax return

joint saving account

letter from work showing my husband as the benificary on the life insurance.

Our son's live birth certificate.

2 letter from friends attesting to our relationship.

Application and money order.

I have few questions, I would appreciate it if anyone can answer this.

what ever I have above, is that good enough documents?.

can I also send pictures taken with family at various times?

Can family members like father in law and sister write the letter to attest to relationship?

we have joint credit card but the bills are addressed only to me?

Thank you

I am 4 month into systematic rescheduling - no warning letters so far. Planning to continue 4 more months ((

My PAST Timelines:

10/2004 - Conditional GC

08/2006 - 10/2007 - Lifting Conditions timeline

10/2007 - 6/26/2009 Citizenship, Los Angeles DO timeline

auBam7.png

CSC i-130 for my Mom

06/30/09 - delivered

07/06/09 - NOA date (rec'd - 07/10) #WAC 09xxx3, touched.

07/08/09 - check cashed, #WAC 09xxx2 (not online)

08/29/09 - APPROVED!!!

NVC

09/14/09 - NVC case # assigned, emails registered

09/17/09 - email AOS bill received and paid online, ds3032 received and returned

09/21/09 - AOS bill status "PAID", FedExed out AOS, 09/24/09 delivered to NVC

09/28/09 - AVR:AOS acknowledged

10/02/09 - 3032 was acknol. by NVC, paid IV Bill online

10/05/09 - emails: 1 pm -RFE for 3032, 3 pm - IV bill, 5 pm - status PAID

10/09/09 - ds230 delivered to NVC at 9am

10/14/09 - AVR: Checklist response was received

10/20/09 - login failed! - between 5 pm and 9 pm PST, at 5 pm it was still working

10/21/09 - case complete! (AVR updated after 10 pm) = total NVC 37 days

10/28/09 - interview date email came at 6.30 pm, no AVR changes yet

10/30/09 - AVR: "Case sent to embassy on Oct 29" = total 4 months from delivery of i130 to USCIS

11/02/09 - Medical

11/20/09 - Interview - PASSED!!!

11/28 - POE: LAX

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.