Alex Ve

Was it worth after all?

38 posts in this topic

I don't know specifics about your field but certainly they take qualifications and work experience into account. There are many, many immigrants in senior positions here! (Based on foreign diplomas and experience) You may get asked to get an equivalency done on your diploma or the company may do it as part of a background check (as happened with my husband). You'd need to do more research in your field about salaries and where the good cities for jobs are.

I've been wondering if equivalency is required for a UK degree in my case (I'm in the final stages of my UK Master's and I'm wrapping up my dissertation as we speak) since the US,Canada and UK universities function with roughly the same academic standards? I triggered my green card in July and received it mid August but I haven't moved to the US yet but strongly considering either Austin or DFW, Texas next year.

I've been wondering if equivalency is required for a UK degree in my case (I'm in the final stages of my UK Master's and I'm wrapping up my dissertation as we speak) since the US,Canada and UK universities function with roughly the same academic standards? I triggered my green card in July and received it mid August but I haven't moved to the US yet but strongly considering either Austin or DFW, Texas next year.

I've got a UK masters too. The university is very well known so I haven't seemed to need equivalency so far assure people it's a genuine/reliable degree. However, I am considering having it done anyway because the mark scheme is so vastly different and most Americans don't realize that - so it's probably worthwhile having your grade converted to a U.S. GPA.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Greece
Timeline

A degree, really? In most other countries this would not be a "university" course so a diploma rather than degree. But I guess there are so many colleges in the US ...!!!

Anyway here are some jobs in graphic design... Alex if you're not familiar with indeed, look at the left hand side in small type it gives you the estimated salary ranges of all jobs and you can narrow down by what salary range suits you, or location, or both.

http://www.indeed.com/q-Graphic-Design-jobs.htm

Thanks Susie, I'll check it out. :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Other Country: Chile
Timeline

If it's worth it or not depends on you. Three weeks ago I left my country to live here and start a new life. I'm from Chile, so all my friends and relatives are 8000 KM away from me. It's not easy at all, but I think if you make a decision you have to put all your energy and good vibes on it. This is not a game, it's about your life, so you really need to have a good reason to move far away. This country can offer you many great opportunities to succeed in life, but if you are NOT 100% sure and optimistic about it, I'd tell you don't do it, at least until you really make a decision.

It doesn't depend on the country, or how far is your job from home, it only depends on you and what you want for your life.

GOOD LUCK!!

Timeline

If it's worth it or not depends on you. Three weeks ago I left my country to live here and start a new life. I'm from Chile, so all my friends and relatives are 8000 KM away from me. It's not easy at all, but I think if you make a decision you have to put all your energy and good vibes on it. This is not a game, it's about your life, so you really need to have a good reason to move far away. This country can offer you many great opportunities to succeed in life, but if you are NOT 100% sure and optimistic about it, I'd tell you don't do it, at least until you really make a decision.

It doesn't depend on the country, or how far is your job from home, it only depends on you and what you want for your life.

GOOD LUCK!!

It's not easy at all, but I think if you make a decision you have to put all your energy and good vibes on it.

Yeah, you re right especially about the bold part.

Thanks. Good Luck to you too.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

The thing I hate the most is that in my country I was always 5 - 10 minutes away from my job very close where I live. In the US you got to take bus and subway and the distances are very long if you don't have a car in the beginning you return late home and only have a weekend of freedom and that makes me feel somewhat depressed.

I don't know I feel like I am making the worst decision by choosing to leave my current job and relationship and move to the US. If something goes wrong and I don't like it there, there won't be by old job or partner waiting for me here in my country. Sure in the US they pay you more, but is that really worth it?

This should have been something you should have considered prior to moving to US.

I see some people here not very happy with their decision to moving to the US. As any prudent person would do, research everything before you move your residence.

Eh, I don't know about that...From what I know especially for NYC, most office jobs are located in Manhattan and if you live outside Manhattan then you got to take bus and subway for sure.

I live in Manhattan and I live across my office.

So I am not sure who you know in NYC, but most of the people who work in my office live around. It depends upon you.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Yes it is worth it. My husband and I moved in March to Philly and love it. However, I am not going to lie, the work situation is tricky. I have 15 years good work experience with international companies and am still looking for work, at this point any kind of job. My husband is an engineer. He had a temp contract for two months which just ran out. We also have a three month old baby. Our money is going to run out after Christmas. We are super stressed at the moment as it's very expensive to live here, and I mean modestly. The Health Insurance is a killer. It's almost as expensive as rent. We really want to make it work but the employment situation for us is pretty dire.

Have you tried volunteering or interning? Alot of companies prefer candidates with local experience.

Yes living in the US is expensive, and health insurance is definitely an important factor.

This sounds very depressing... :(

Honestly, with the amount of thought that I have done on the subject, I wish I had lied to my family about getting a visa.

I am very terrified and depressed thinking that I will move to a foreign land, leaving behind a steady job (although low paying) and the woman I love, just to be another wage slave, being constantly stressed if I will make it another month and pay the bills...I get a tremendous pressure from my family to move as soon as possible and work my a** of to make money.

But why does rent, health care and insurance cost so much where you re barely surviving every month? That's ridiculous.

America is an overhyped place to immigrate really...Canada, Australia and some European countries are far better options. Less violent crime, better salaries and better quality of life overall. I don't understand why so many immigrants choose the US.

My thoughts exactly...

If you feel so strongly about immigrating to the US, why are you immigrating to the US?

Perhaps you can visit the US and make a decision based on that?

Edited by verneforchat

Timeline

This should have been something you should have considered prior to moving to US.

I see some people here not very happy with their decision to moving to the US. As any prudent person would do, research everything before you move your residence.

I live in Manhattan and I live across my office.

So I am not sure who you know in NYC, but most of the people who work in my office live around. It depends upon you.

The thing is that and this might sound nonsensical and like I am whining, that I don't really like working in offices surrounded with high skyscrapers, where I can't see any sunshine around, I feel I will be depressed most of the time.

Have you tried volunteering or interning? Alot of companies prefer candidates with local experience.

Yes living in the US is expensive, and health insurance is definitely an important factor.

If you feel so strongly about immigrating to the US, why are you immigrating to the US?

Perhaps you can visit the US and make a decision based on that?

Well, I am immigrating cause I was selected for the lottery and I spent so much time and energy for the past couple of years that it would be a shame if it all got wasted. Plus my family thinks that this is the opportunity of my life and that I will be financially independent and be able to create my own family. And unfortunately I don't have any family members in other countries which I would prefer to immigrate over US, like Canada, Australia and Netherlands.

Yes, I will surely visit before my visa expires, but the thing is that I will have already lose the position in my current job. And it is a steady position in a company that has a healthy grow with potential of expanding. Plus I will lose the woman I love...Really sucks. I hope everything goes well, cause I will lose my mind if nothing goes as expected...

Edited by Alex Ve

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.