Argo

Applying for visiting visa(B1) after filing CR-1

28 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi,

I do not have B1 visa yet. I have initiated with CR1 process 2 weeks before. I am waiting for NOA1 to apply for visiting visa. Will this work. I can cring letter from my employee and NOA1 for the B1 visa interview. But my colleagues say that on stating my purpose itself (to visit my husband), I will rejected. Is this true. Can somebody share their opinion here.

Also how do we find out which service centre does our CR application goes to?

Thanks

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

***Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to Tourist Visas forum; topic is primarily about obtaining a tourist visa.***

**Moderator hat off**

Hi,

I do not have B1 visa yet. I have initiated with CR1 process 2 weeks before. I am waiting for NOA1 to apply for visiting visa. Will this work. I can cring letter from my employee and NOA1 for the B1 visa interview. But my colleagues say that on stating my purpose itself (to visit my husband), I will rejected. Is this true. Can somebody share their opinion here.

Also how do we find out which service centre does our CR application goes to?

Thanks

Having a US Citizen spouse essentially supersedes any ties you may have to your own country which makes the chances of having a tourist visa application approved less than 50%.

The service center that the petition your spouse filed (the actual visa application comes later) can be determined by the first 3 letters on the NOA1 once you receive it (WAC is California, EAC is Vermont, LIN is Nebraska, SRC is Texas)

Edited by Ryan H

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Unless you are applying to travel for business it will be a B2 visitor visa, I guess they are combined.

You will have to show very strong social and economic ties to your country, otherwise your chances are slim.

21 Aug 2013: I-129F Sent

11 Feb 2014: Visa APPROVED!

20 May 2014: Wedding!

--

31 Jul 2014: Mailed AOS Packet

12 Feb 2015: AOS Interview - Approved

--

22 Feb 2017: Mailed ROC Packet

08 Aug 2018: ROC Approved

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

argo

Honestly they will deny you any non immigrant visa as you are in system. Even when you show the strongest ties to home country because your partner is american national.

Seen many cases here. Few months back a fellow VJer whose husband (US Citizen) died in motorbike accident. She tried so much to get visitor visa to be present at funeral but they denied her too. That was so heart breaking incident.

You can try your luck .. But dont be hopeful.

Filed: Timeline

The challenge will be to convince the CO that you have MORE reasons to return to India than remain in the US with your USC spouse....and unless you are, say, the Prime Minister of that country, it would be hard to imagine what other professional reasons you might have...far too many people, not only from India, have decided to stay put in the US and finish the AOS process with their USC spouse, no matter what they told the CO were the alleged reasons that would motivate them to do otherwise. It will not do any good to try and use the 'oh, but my elderly parents need my care' excuse - because sooner or later, you would be abandoning them anyway, and if they can survive during your Xmas vacation (or if another relative would be caring for them), then why would you need to return? Same for 'I need to go back to pack my bags' or 'attend this or that meeting'....if you put your reasons for staying alongside your reasons for returning, having a USC spouse represents about a 99% strong tie to the US, while whatever job or educational reasons for returning typically add up to about 3%....how will you attempt to balance this out?

While you may think it 'unfair' that your application be denied, thanks to the thousands of people who have changed their minds (a process that occurs about 30 seconds after claiming their luggage!), the CO's job is to determine your credibility and assess the reasons for staying or returning (and they cannot help but be influenced to a large degree by those who have gone [and not returned!] before you)....why? Because it's very likely that they gave similar reasons for returning that you will, and since those reasons were not sufficiently strong enough to have brought them back, why will you do anything different? BTW, notarized letters from your boss proclaiming that your presence at some future meeting or training is 'critical' following your Xmas vacation are worth absolutely nothing because whatever might be written in such a letter is totally non-enforceable....of course, you might be fortunate...and the cost of trying is around $160.

Edited by HFM181818

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Thank you so much for all your response. It has been very informative. Probably my last question around this would be - Doesn't the fact that I am already under CR1 process increase my chances than decrease. Because I am following this process, I will have to return to India anyway to further proceed(interview and medical). Also AoS will not be possible for me as I have anyway initiated CR1, isn't it?

Thank you so much for all your response. It has been very informative. Probably my last question around this would be - Doesn't the fact that I am already under CR1 process increase my chances than decrease. No; how so? Because I am following this process, I will have to return to India anyway to further proceed(interview and medical). Anyone can do that in the US too Also AoS will not be possible for me as I have anyway initiated CR1, isn't it? Are you asking whether or not AOS on a CR1 is possible in a roundabout way? If so, I'll take the bait and say plenty of folks have AOS-ed from all types of visa.

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

Trust us. Many of us tried and got denied because, as stated before, there is a very strong reason why you would just stay. They will see you in the system and you will get denied. I was told I could not have both. Sorry to crush your hopes but no. The chances of getting a tourist while waiting on a spousal one are none.

India.

I was just hoping if we could have our first xmas together :(

Don't mind me saying, but a lot of India visitors change minds at baggage claim; next thing, they're adjusting. You can spend the $160 and find out.

A lot of newly-married couples have had to spend xmas, diwali, bdays, anniversaries, baby births away from their spouses for about a year.

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.