Oli&Marie

What happens when you mail unsolicited information after NOA1?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

Hi all.

We submitted our I-129f in february 2015 and got our NOA1 on Feb 18. we have not heard a word from TCS since.

The reason for my question: A couple of months ago, I realized that we had accidentally left out a few important pieces of information in our petition (we did not received an RFE). We mailed this information in a letter to TCS (they told us what address to send it to over the phone), and we made sure, that they had to sign for it upon delivery.

Since it's now been over 6 months from our NOA1 date, I'm starting to get extra-super impatient, and I'm imagining all kinds of things that could have possibly gone wrong in this process (I know a 6 month wait is pretty standart at TSC but still).

Do you think there is a chance that when they physically added our letter to our original petition (if they ever did that), our entire case could have been put in a different pile/box, or however they organizie it, and this way pushed us back in the line? What do you think they do with these pieces of information?

In the letter, we asked them to confirm that they had received our letter, but we never heard anything.

Does anyone have experience mailing unsolicited information (to TCS), and what is your experience?

Thanks a lot.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hi all.

We submitted our I-129f in february 2015 and got our NOA1 on Feb 18. we have not heard a word from TCS since.

The reason for my question: A couple of months ago, I realized that we had accidentally left out a few important pieces of information in our petition (we did not received an RFE). We mailed this information in a letter to TCS (they told us what address to send it to over the phone), and we made sure, that they had to sign for it upon delivery.

Since it's now been over 6 months from our NOA1 date, I'm starting to get extra-super impatient, and I'm imagining all kinds of things that could have possibly gone wrong in this process (I know a 6 month wait is pretty standart at TSC but still).

Do you think there is a chance that when they physically added our letter to our original petition (if they ever did that), our entire case could have been put in a different pile/box, or however they organizie it, and this way pushed us back in the line? What do you think they do with these pieces of information?

In the letter, we asked them to confirm that they had received our letter, but we never heard anything.

Does anyone have experience mailing unsolicited information (to TCS), and what is your experience?

Thanks a lot.

Have you checked your status on the uscis.gov site? Every time they touch or update your case it would be noted there. That's how you can tell. Besides calling and asking. But check your status. That's if you registered.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Timeline

Have you checked your status on the uscis.gov site? Every time they touch or update your case it would be noted there. That's how you can tell. Besides calling and asking. But check your status. That's if you registered.

Thanks for your reply.

we've registered on uscis.gov website twice using two different email adresses, but it always says "access denied". we just gave up using that function. we've called and asked multiple times, but the say that they can't give us any information about our specific case, it's very frustrating...

Timeline

So now I've created a new account using a different eamil address. finally, I have access, but it doesn't appear that there has been made any changes in our case at all. should i be worried?

Timeline

So now I've created a new account using a different eamil address. finally, I have access, but it doesn't appear that there has been made any changes in our case at all. should i be worried?

That's normal. They don't update your case until you either get an RFE or approval..

And the reason why your account gets locked is because every 3 months they reset the password. So you have to make a new password.

Edited by Camillasofie

Oct 21, 2014 : I-129F sent

Oct 24, 2014 : I-129F received at TCS

Oct 28, 2014 : NOA1 date

May 21, 2015 : RFE text/email

May 29, 2015 : RFE hard copy

June 1, 2015 : RFE response sent

June 3, 2015 : RFE received at TCS

June 11, 2015 : NOA2 text/email

June 18, 2015 : NOA2 hard copy

June 22, 2015 : Medical

June 22, 2015 : Case send to NVC

July 1, 2015 : Case received NVC

July 6, 2015 : New case number assigned

July 6, 2015 : DS-160

July 6, 2015 : Visa fee payed

July 10, 2015 : Case sent from NVC to embassy in Sweden

July 13, 2015 : Embassy received

July 17, 2015 : Packet 3 received

Aug 6, 2015 : INTERVIEW :D result: APPROVED ????????

Aug 14, 2015 : Visa received ?

Aug 25, 2015 : POE ❤️ After being apart for 185 days we can finally start our lifes together ❤️ 6 months and 4 days..

Hi all.

Thanks a lot.

I don't know what they do with mail once they receive it (or if they actually try to link it up with files). I also applied in February and got my NOA1 on Feb 17 (Feb 19 is the date *on* the NOA1). I too realized I skipped something and mailed it in. But I didn't do that until about a month ago, and I was approved maybe 2 or 3 weeks later. I didn't make them sign for it so I have no idea if they actually received it or not. But I didn't get an RFE and I got approved on 8/11.

For you--I doubt your file is lost or anything because of this. Worst case scenario, they didn't link up your mail with your original file and you'll get an RFE. I think it's mostly likely that they just haven't gotten to your file yet. There's still just under half of February filers waiting for either approval or RFE (proof that the file has been read), and there seems to be little rhyme or reason for the order they're doing the files in. Based on my ongoing and close monitoring of TSC's February processing, I am pretty sure that you'll hear something in the next 2 weeks. Now, depending on the evidence you left out, and if they liked up your mail with the file that "hearing something" may be an RFE, but those are easy to handle and they're quick to process.

Just out of curiosity, has your fiance been to the US before? I'm starting to wonder if that makes a difference in the processing times or not...

Marriage/ AOS Timeline:

23 Dec 2015: Legal marriage

23 Jan 2016: Wedding!

23 Jan 2016: "Blizzard of the Century", wedding canceled/rescheduled (thank goodness we were legally married first or we'd have had a big problem!) :sleepy:

24 Jan 2016: Small "civil ceremony" with friends and family who were snowed in with us. December was a bit of a secret and people had traveled internationally and knew we *had* to get married that weekend, and our December legal marriage was nothing but signing a piece of paper at our priest's kitchen table, without any sort of vows etc so this was actually a very special (if not legally significant) day. (L)

16 Apr 2016: Filed for AOS and EAD/AP (We delayed a bit-- no big rush, enjoying the USCIS break)

23 Apr 2016: Wedding! Finally! :luv:

27 Apr 2016: Electronic NOA1 for all 3 :dancing:
29 Apr 2016: NOA1 Hardcopy for all 3
29 Jul 2016: Online service request for late EAD (Day 104)
29 Jul 2016: EAD/AP Approved ~3 hours after online service request
04 Aug 2016: RFE for Green Card (requested medicals/ vaccination record. They already have it). :ranting:
05 Aug 2016: EAD/AP Combo Card arrived! (Day 111)
08 Aug 2016: Congressional constituent request to get guidance on the RFE. Hoping they see they have the form and approve!

K-1 Visa Timeline:

PLEASE NOTE. This timeline was during the period of time when TSC was working on I-129fs and had a huge backlog. The average processing time was 210+ days. This is in no way predictive of your own timeline if you filed during or after April 2015, unless CSC develops a backlog. A backlog is anything above the 5-month goal time listed on USCIS's site

14 Feb 2015: Mailed I-129f to Dallas Lockbox. (L) (Most expensive Valentine's card I've ever sent!)

17 Feb 2015: NOA1 "Received Date"
19 Feb 2015: NOA1 Notice Date
08 Aug 2015: NOA2 email! :luv: (173 days from NOA1)

17 Aug 2015: Sent to NVC

?? Aug 2015: Arrived at NVC

25 Aug 2015: NVC Case # Assigned

31 Aug 2015: Left NVC for Consulate in San Jose

09 Sep 2015: Consulate received :dancing: (32 days from NOA2)

11 Sep 2015: Packet 3 emailed from embassy to me, the petitioner (34 days from NOA2).

18 Sep 2015: Medicals complete

21 Sep 2015: Packet 3 complete, my boss puts a temporary moratorium on all time off due to work emergency :clock:

02 Oct 2015: Work emergency clears up, interview scheduled (soonest available was 5 business days away--Columbus Day was in there)

13 Oct 2015: Interview

13 Oct 2015: VISA APPROVED :thumbs: (236 days from NOA1)

19 Oct 2015: Visa-in-hand

24 Oct 2015: POE !

15 Dec 2015: Fiance's mother's B-2 visa interview: APPROVED! So happy she will be at the wedding! :thumbs:

!

Timeline

I don't know what they do with mail once they receive it (or if they actually try to link it up with files). I also applied in February and got my NOA1 on Feb 17 (Feb 19 is the date *on* the NOA1). I too realized I skipped something and mailed it in. But I didn't do that until about a month ago, and I was approved maybe 2 or 3 weeks later. I didn't make them sign for it so I have no idea if they actually received it or not. But I didn't get an RFE and I got approved on 8/11.

For you--I doubt your file is lost or anything because of this. Worst case scenario, they didn't link up your mail with your original file and you'll get an RFE. I think it's mostly likely that they just haven't gotten to your file yet. There's still just under half of February filers waiting for either approval or RFE (proof that the file has been read), and there seems to be little rhyme or reason for the order they're doing the files in. Based on my ongoing and close monitoring of TSC's February processing, I am pretty sure that you'll hear something in the next 2 weeks. Now, depending on the evidence you left out, and if they liked up your mail with the file that "hearing something" may be an RFE, but those are easy to handle and they're quick to process.

Just out of curiosity, has your fiance been to the US before? I'm starting to wonder if that makes a difference in the processing times or not...

Thanks for you message. It makes me feel a bit more reassured that everything is ok. Actually, I'm the benificiary. I've been to the states many times now. Why would you think it might make a difference and how?

Timeline

That's normal. They don't update your case until you either get an RFE or approval..

And the reason why your account gets locked is because every 3 months they reset the password. So you have to make a new password.

Thanks for clarifying, Camilla. I actually thought they had informed you about updates while you were waiting :-)

Unfortuantely, changing the password never solved the problem for me. so I just created a new account using a different password.

Thanks for you message. It makes me feel a bit more reassured that everything is ok. Actually, I'm the benificiary. I've been to the states many times now. Why would you think it might make a difference and how?

Nothing bad or you have to worry about and seriously this is really only a theory and I could just be looking for patterns in the clouds, you know? But anecdotally, some of the people I've corresponded with the most over the past 8+ months here....for the most part the ones where the beneficiary has traveled to the US before, they seem to be the ones who come in "over average" for their month at their service center, and the ones where they haven't come in a bit under (and I really mean the difference of a week or two here. Nothing dramatic like the differences between service centers).

Quick recap on how people are pretty sure this all happens: you send files to the Lockbox, the Lockbox routes to your service center. That means that they probably bundle them up in boxes before shipping, and so people with the same filing date will be in the same box, but also split between boxes. Then imagine the service centers like any other office. (I'm quoting myself from a different post)...

" I think, is this: each worker picks up a pile of petitions to work on that day/week/month/whatever. So Sally grabbed January 1-7, Tom took January 8- through half of January 11, Joe has the other half of 11 through 25. So they all start working at the same time, so Sally will get Jan 1 done on the same day that Tom gets Jan 8 done, and Joe gets part of Jan 11 done.

Now imagine that some days have more petitions than others, each worker will be a little faster or slower than the next, and some petitions are more complicated/have more attachments/have worse handwriting than the others. Tom might have a dentist appointment on Wednesday, keeping him out of the office in the afternoon, Joe might have to stay home two days because his kid has pinkeye and isn't allowed in daycare, Sally might be on an "alternate work schedule" in which she works 9 hour days for two weeks and then gets ever/other Friday off (making her faster than the others for 9 work days and then nothing from her for the 10th day in a two week cycle)."

So you can see how easy it is for there to be a descent degree of differences in timeframes even within a service center (comparing yourself to other filers in other service centers means nothing and will only get you upset). My recent thought on why it would be different if the beneficiary has been to the US is that now imagine that one adjudicator has opened a box that has petitions filed all right around the same date. Half will have have answered "yes" to question 15 ("has your fiance been to the US before"), half don't. For the half who have been here....maybe then they have to get in contact with the Customs and Border Control to check on the beneficiary's comings and goings. And my hunch is that that does not happen overnight. Or it gets assigned to a junior person to make the request, or, or, or...lots of possibilities. If it's "no", then that's a step that they can skip.

So even if you file on the same date, are routed to the same service center, the dates will immediately get jumbled a bit (see my first quote ) and even if you get the same adjudicator on the same date as someone else, maybe your case needs more/less checks than others. Not a referendum on you or your relationship or how likely it is you're going to get the visa. Just an extra step for them to take. Maybe. Again, there's always exceptions and I could have made this up out of thin air in a desperate attempt to explain the unexplainable. But it is something that occurred to me recently.

Bottom line: you being at 6 months is normal for TSC, and it does seem like they've picked up a bit and I really don't think you'll be waiting to hear something much longer.

Marriage/ AOS Timeline:

23 Dec 2015: Legal marriage

23 Jan 2016: Wedding!

23 Jan 2016: "Blizzard of the Century", wedding canceled/rescheduled (thank goodness we were legally married first or we'd have had a big problem!) :sleepy:

24 Jan 2016: Small "civil ceremony" with friends and family who were snowed in with us. December was a bit of a secret and people had traveled internationally and knew we *had* to get married that weekend, and our December legal marriage was nothing but signing a piece of paper at our priest's kitchen table, without any sort of vows etc so this was actually a very special (if not legally significant) day. (L)

16 Apr 2016: Filed for AOS and EAD/AP (We delayed a bit-- no big rush, enjoying the USCIS break)

23 Apr 2016: Wedding! Finally! :luv:

27 Apr 2016: Electronic NOA1 for all 3 :dancing:
29 Apr 2016: NOA1 Hardcopy for all 3
29 Jul 2016: Online service request for late EAD (Day 104)
29 Jul 2016: EAD/AP Approved ~3 hours after online service request
04 Aug 2016: RFE for Green Card (requested medicals/ vaccination record. They already have it). :ranting:
05 Aug 2016: EAD/AP Combo Card arrived! (Day 111)
08 Aug 2016: Congressional constituent request to get guidance on the RFE. Hoping they see they have the form and approve!

K-1 Visa Timeline:

PLEASE NOTE. This timeline was during the period of time when TSC was working on I-129fs and had a huge backlog. The average processing time was 210+ days. This is in no way predictive of your own timeline if you filed during or after April 2015, unless CSC develops a backlog. A backlog is anything above the 5-month goal time listed on USCIS's site

14 Feb 2015: Mailed I-129f to Dallas Lockbox. (L) (Most expensive Valentine's card I've ever sent!)

17 Feb 2015: NOA1 "Received Date"
19 Feb 2015: NOA1 Notice Date
08 Aug 2015: NOA2 email! :luv: (173 days from NOA1)

17 Aug 2015: Sent to NVC

?? Aug 2015: Arrived at NVC

25 Aug 2015: NVC Case # Assigned

31 Aug 2015: Left NVC for Consulate in San Jose

09 Sep 2015: Consulate received :dancing: (32 days from NOA2)

11 Sep 2015: Packet 3 emailed from embassy to me, the petitioner (34 days from NOA2).

18 Sep 2015: Medicals complete

21 Sep 2015: Packet 3 complete, my boss puts a temporary moratorium on all time off due to work emergency :clock:

02 Oct 2015: Work emergency clears up, interview scheduled (soonest available was 5 business days away--Columbus Day was in there)

13 Oct 2015: Interview

13 Oct 2015: VISA APPROVED :thumbs: (236 days from NOA1)

19 Oct 2015: Visa-in-hand

24 Oct 2015: POE !

15 Dec 2015: Fiance's mother's B-2 visa interview: APPROVED! So happy she will be at the wedding! :thumbs:

!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.