TJandJR

preparing for NVC

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Well, I finally submitted my I-30 petition with a ton of other stuff and I know they have received it in Chicago because the USPS site says it was signed for. I want to get ready for NVC. I've read the flow charts and wiki guides and I do understand that things have to be done in order when certain steps are completed. But there are things I can be doing now, right? Like filling out my I-864 and getting my financial records together. But, what else can I do? The thing I'm concerned about is what do I need from my husband (beneficiary) that has to be mailed to me? And what does he need me to mail to him besides a copy of everything I sent USCIS? Mail takes forever to travel to and from here and Africa and sometimes it doesn't show up at all. I don't want that to delay us.

(There is so much information in the guides I can't take it all in. I think... all the forms that need to be filled out are done online and he can send me a scan of his bio data page from his passport.)

I am so thankful for this site.

Timeline

Based on my own experience (I'm at NVC stage) you can begin collecting original documents that you submitted to USCIS, he will need those at the interview stage. So you will have to mail him ORIGINALS and COPIES of everything. Also, collecting your financial information for AOS isn't a bad idea, but if you plan to submit paystubs just remember to update it with the most recent information. It might be a bit early to start working on any Police Clearance certificates but if he's lived in other countries, have it in the back of your mind to start working on that at around month 4 at USCIS stage (but this too can be tricky if you happen to get a quick approval). Waiting until we were at NVC to start getting the PCC's has slowed our case down. I'm actually trying to figure out the best way to mail documents myself as I have to send all of the originals to my husband for his interview. I hope this helps.

Married in Nigeria: 12/23/2014

I-130 Sent: 1/27/2015

I-130 NOA1: 1/29/2015

I-130 Approved: 6/1/2015

NVC Received: 6/16/2015

Received DS-261 / AOS Bill: 6/29/2015

Submitted DS-261: 6/29/2015

Paid AOS Bill: 7/6/2015

AOS Bill Posted: 7/9/2015

Received IV Bill: 6/29/2015

Paid IV Bill: 7/6/2015

IV Bill Posted: 7/9/2015

Sent AOS Package: 7/20/2015

Sent IV Package: 7/20/2015

NVC Received: 7/21/2015

Received Checklist : 8/10/2015

(Missed P/C - Was told by operator to send package without it and a letter of explanation as to why we didn't have it; also told that case could be forwarded without it - LIE)

Sent Police Certificates (SD): 8/19/2015 & 8/28/2015

Case Completed at NVC: 10/30/2015

Received Instructions and Interview appointment letter: 12/3/2015

Medical Exam: 1/20/2016

Medical Results: Picked up 1/22/2016

Interview Date: 1/28/2016

Interview Result: Administrative Processing

Visa Received: 2/12/2016

US Entry: 2/14/2016

Timeline

Thanks for your helpful advice. When we were doing our (denied) k1 the police report wasn't needed until the interview. But now for the cr-1 I see it goes to NVC. Can it be a photocopy of a scan because him mailing me the original will take a long time. Will he need a police clearance from every state he's lived in Nigeria?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Thanks for your helpful advice. When we were doing our (denied) k1 the police report wasn't needed until the interview. But now for the cr-1 I see it goes to NVC. Can it be a photocopy of a scan because him mailing me the original will take a long time. Will he need a police clearance from every state he's lived in Nigeria?

Yes NVC only requires photocopies now. So all originals you need to be sending to your husband for interview. You can have all his documents now BUT the Police report which you can get once you get case# at NVC no need to get earlier. Like the other poster said if other countries are involved you can get anytime since you won't have to update those. Cuz some of these countries take a while to get them.

So be sure he has the right Birth certificate. I am sure you do have since you have already been through the embassy. But just note it must be the long form for NVC. You can have his bio pages of Passport. All can be scanned to you.

And of course I would now work on I-864 its been updated so be sure to get the newest and feel comfortable it is all correct. That is the big mistake makes and more than the majority get checklist for mistakes on it. So lining things up now on that form is crucial to success.A

Also if you plan on adding more evidence at the NVC level (Side-loading). Very recommend if you have take a trip to him between petitioning and NVC time.

Congratulations on your filing by the way. Welcome to the IR1/CR1 crowd. It will be interesting where they send your petition. Pray for CSC and not NSC. :goofy:

**special note I would also be following the NVC filers thread throughout the process. To stay on any thing happening there and just knowing whats up.**

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Timeline

Copies are accepted at NVC but he will need the original at interview. He does not need certificate for each state. Only if he's lived OUTSIDE of Naija. Hope this helps.

Married in Nigeria: 12/23/2014

I-130 Sent: 1/27/2015

I-130 NOA1: 1/29/2015

I-130 Approved: 6/1/2015

NVC Received: 6/16/2015

Received DS-261 / AOS Bill: 6/29/2015

Submitted DS-261: 6/29/2015

Paid AOS Bill: 7/6/2015

AOS Bill Posted: 7/9/2015

Received IV Bill: 6/29/2015

Paid IV Bill: 7/6/2015

IV Bill Posted: 7/9/2015

Sent AOS Package: 7/20/2015

Sent IV Package: 7/20/2015

NVC Received: 7/21/2015

Received Checklist : 8/10/2015

(Missed P/C - Was told by operator to send package without it and a letter of explanation as to why we didn't have it; also told that case could be forwarded without it - LIE)

Sent Police Certificates (SD): 8/19/2015 & 8/28/2015

Case Completed at NVC: 10/30/2015

Received Instructions and Interview appointment letter: 12/3/2015

Medical Exam: 1/20/2016

Medical Results: Picked up 1/22/2016

Interview Date: 1/28/2016

Interview Result: Administrative Processing

Visa Received: 2/12/2016

US Entry: 2/14/2016

Timeline

So much good advice! On the I 864 there are many sections that don't apply. Do I leave them blank or do I write "NONE" and "N/A" in the spaces? I filled mine out on paper already so I'll have the info at hand when the time comes. It was really easy. I have my tax papers. All I need is to copy my proof of citizenship and a letter from my job. I am wondering what errors people are making.

Yes, I want to make another trip but I want to be there (outside) at the interview so he can take my passport in. I can't afford two trips so close together. I'll have to decide if I should go before I send stuff to NVC or go when the interview happens.

Timeline

Oh... And about his birth certificate. It's some kind of affidavit from the court. Well, he had an age declaration he needed to go get the affidavit (or maybe it's the other way around) and that's what we used with the K1. We didn't have any problems over it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.