Tinypumpkins

I-751 horrible experience while (attempting) to travel abroad

34 posts in this topic

"a green card expired or not, extension letter or not does not allow you to travel to other countries without a visa".

False. I've traveled to other countries without a visa even though my citizenship would have required it, all because I have a GC . I've been to Bahamas and Aruba both waive the visa requirements for US GC holders regardless of the country of your passport. Your husband needs a visa because there is no treaty between his country and China not between GC doesn't matter.

The fact that so many people agree with you tells me that this site isn't the best place to get accurate information.

Edited by Morningmist

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

"a green card expired or not, extension letter or not does not allow you to travel to other countries without a visa".

False. I've traveled to other countries without a visa even though my citizenship would have required it, all because I have a GC . I've been to Bahamas and Aruba both waive the visa requirements for US GC holders regardless of the country of your passport. Your husband needs a visa because there is no treaty between his country and China not between GC doesn't matter.

The fact that so many people agree with you tells me that this site isn't the best place to get accurate information.

A green card alone opens up travel to many countries visa free...

https://mexico.visahq.com/requirements/Philippines/resident-United_States/

• 2 years later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
On 8/18/2015 at 11:33 AM, Tinypumpkins said:

Yes I had my passport--valid until 2022. I didn't mention it because I assumed everyone knew that I would require a passport to travel anywhere. I showed the Costa Rican immigration officer my US visa (also unfortunately expired) and my drivers license in desperation but it didn't help, because they were all US docs. I also don't think it helped that I have an Indian passport--one flight attendant questioned me about having a "yellow card." Apparently when you're from certain countries you need to show proof that you don't have yellow fever. I later checked about this on their website, and India isn't even one of the countries on the list. I had no idea what she was talking about and simply responded that I've lived in the U.S. for 13 years. She just said ok and let me board.

CR seems to have updated their site

3. If the foreigner has permanent residence, a student visa, a work visa in the United States or Canada, he/she does not need a visa to enter Costa Rica. In addition, he/she must have a passport valid for at least six months from the date of entry into the country and a round trip ticket. Note 1: This type of visa must be stamped in the passport, and must be valid for at least six months. Note 2: Permanent residents must submit their residency card (i.e. green card), which must be  valid for at least six months. Note 3: The residence proof stamped on a passport, refugee status, parole or work cards are not accepted. If this is what you have, you need to find out if you need a tourist visa at the Consulate of your jurisdiction.

15 hours ago, NYCruiser said:

CR seems to have updated their site

3. If the foreigner has permanent residence, a student visa, a work visa in the United States or Canada, he/she does not need a visa to enter Costa Rica. In addition, he/she must have a passport valid for at least six months from the date of entry into the country and a round trip ticket. Note 1: This type of visa must be stamped in the passport, and must be valid for at least six months. Note 2: Permanent residents must submit their residency card (i.e. green card), which must be  valid for at least six months. Note 3: The residence proof stamped on a passport, refugee status, parole or work cards are not accepted. If this is what you have, you need to find out if you need a tourist visa at the Consulate of your jurisdiction.

Yup, it’s not that uncommon for countries waiving visas for LPRs to accept only valid green cards.  Stamps and letters that can get you back in the US aren’t always accepted in lieu and someone traveling to a country like this should always check in advance...and it does vary, for example the UK accepts expired GC+letter in lieu of a transit visa but not an I551 stamp.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.