3 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone!

I (USC) have sponsored my wife (Japanese) for an IR-1 visa with the London DCF service. We are still early into the process (waiting for I-130 to process), but I'm looking ahead to the I-864 to plan ahead.

My wife and I both have resided in the UK for several years now and have been gainfully employed here, but I've recently learned that our UK income won't count towards meeting 125% of the poverty line, since this income will not continue in the USA. We don't have enough assets to qualify on them alone, and my family members have been hesitant to sign on as joint sponsors due to the open-ended legal commitment it entails.

So I am considering returning to the USA in advance of my wife's interview to find work so that I can prove US-based income and sponsor her on the I-864. I am planning on providing letters from my future employers in the USA as well as pay slips, to estimate my expected annual income.

My questions are:

1. Do you think this be sufficient evidence? (my previous tax returns will only show foreign income)

2. How many months of pay slips should I be providing realistically? (ie. is one-two pay periods sufficient or should I go for a couple months?)

3. Do they factor in the exact nature of my job? I will be potentially working anywhere I can start quickly (ie. Starbucks, Walmart, etc.) but am assuming I should avoid places like temp agencies or restaurants, where income could fluctuate based on tips or work availability.

Any advice in these areas? I'm really hoping to minimise the separation time for us but still provide enough evidence for a strong affidavit of support. Thanks in advance for your advice and time!

My husband and I were in that position. I actually applied for jobs while in the UK and completed the interviewing while here. I received an offer and am due to start on August 31. My husband had his interview on August 10th and was approved. At the embassy, the consular officer asked if I was going to be transferring with my existing company or working somewhere else and I explained that I had a job offer. I brought a copy of the offer letter with me and she looked for the salary and said "Ah, OK. That's fine." Kyle has received his visa on the 18th and he is flying out to join me in Denver tomorrow (yay!) as I had to fly out a week earlier since the kids needed to start school.

I work in banking and my new position is with a well known company, so I'm not sure if that helped to factor into her decision. My question is what do you do and where are you planning on working? Is it possible for you to start applying now while you're in the UK as it would cut down on the time that you're apart? If you need any help or advice let me know.

Just so you know my timeline for things, we made the decision to move back to the states in October. I didn't start applying for other jobs with other companies until February as I was initially going to be looking for a transfer. We submitted the DCF forms in March and I had my first interview with a company I applied for at the end of March. I interviewed with a couple of different companies but had my offer letter in May which is what we took to the embassy.

• 2 months later...

Yes, you need to move to the states before your case is forwarded to the NVC. You need to re-established domcile in the States, meaning you need to prove you are living and devoted to the US. (opening bank accounts, voting, residental address, working)

1. Your foreing tax returns do not mean anything to the US government.
2. However many months you are working you will fill out on one of the forms, and sign. Of course they check by your SSN. Ask your employer for a letter stating your income, how long you have worked.
3. No, does not matter where you work just has to be legal haha

Good Luck

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.