19 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

Thanks KierenHby, Sara and Divs. I have better clarity now.

KierenHby, I was confused with Single Status Certificate, No Objection Certificate and Notarized Affidavit.

http://newdelhi.usembassy.gov/service/other-citizen-services/marriage.html ( Here the No Objection Certificate seems to be No problem)

http://chennai.usconsulate.gov/marriageinindia.html ( The 1st para here was confusing)

I am new to to the process, so kindly excuse my ignorance. But I could need all your help as we are only at the start of the journey.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

The best way to explain what the US issues is a notified letter kind of the same way you would get something notified in India. I want to the embassy with a letter that I printed out from their website and meet with a consular who notify my letter. They did not search any of my records and just took my word that I was single which I pledged under oath. That why the embassy says they dont issue these documents because state department does not keep record of people marriage status but they will issue a certified letter saying that this person under oath pledged that they were single. This letter is acceptable to the India register office so you will be able to get married if you get one of these documents.

06/14/2015: Engaged!!!

07/07/2015: Left India for the USA...

08/13/2015: Priority mailed in I-129F to Texas LockBox.

08/13/2015: Started process on PCC for Guwahati, India.

08/17/2015: USCIS received I-129F petition.

08/19/2015: NOAI off to California Service Center!!

08/24/2015: NOAI receipt received.

08/25/2015: PCC received from Guwahati, India.

09/03/2015: NOAII Approval!!

09/04/2015: NOAII approval updated on website.

09/09/2015: NOAII received in mail.

09/24/2015: NVC received our case!

10/01/2015: Embassy receives case

10/15/2015: Sent out PCC for Thailand.

10/17/2015: Medical Exam.

...................: Received PCC from Thailand??

...................: Bio-metrics??

...................: Interview??

...................: POE somewhere on the east coast....

01/15/2016: Getting Married!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

It is early morning here and instead of writing notarized I wrote notified. I hope that my mistake does not lead to no more confusion and kind of embarrassed that I confused the words.

Here is the USCIS New Delhi contact information: ins.ndi@dhs.gov, or by calling 2419-8506. They will be able to answer your questions if the address on the marriage affects the visa but from previous posts its seems to not matter.

Also a great help for me when I was looking into getting married there was IndiaMike because I dont know if you just want to pay a lawyer to do it or do it yourself but that was a great resource for me. Also that site will provide experiences for maybe the area that you live in.

I hope this helps because I understand the confusion of what required to get married in India and its annoying.

Cheers,

Sara

06/14/2015: Engaged!!!

07/07/2015: Left India for the USA...

08/13/2015: Priority mailed in I-129F to Texas LockBox.

08/13/2015: Started process on PCC for Guwahati, India.

08/17/2015: USCIS received I-129F petition.

08/19/2015: NOAI off to California Service Center!!

08/24/2015: NOAI receipt received.

08/25/2015: PCC received from Guwahati, India.

09/03/2015: NOAII Approval!!

09/04/2015: NOAII approval updated on website.

09/09/2015: NOAII received in mail.

09/24/2015: NVC received our case!

10/01/2015: Embassy receives case

10/15/2015: Sent out PCC for Thailand.

10/17/2015: Medical Exam.

...................: Received PCC from Thailand??

...................: Bio-metrics??

...................: Interview??

...................: POE somewhere on the east coast....

01/15/2016: Getting Married!!!

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

Thanks Sara for the quick correction though I had I actually read notified as notarized. :) Perceptual set!

Plan to check with Registers office if affidavit is OK. Will check out IndiaMike. Thanks!

I have one more doubt.

Does my fiance taking OCI help in any way with Civil marriage registration?

As I understand it... Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) can't buy Agriculture land or vote. Except for these two,an OCI can do what ever a Indian citizen can do.

Good day folks!

Thanks Sara for the quick correction though I had I actually read notified as notarized. :) Perceptual set!

Plan to check with Registers office if affidavit is OK. Will check out IndiaMike. Thanks!

I have one more doubt.

Does my fiance taking OCI help in any way with Civil marriage registration?

As I understand it... Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) can't buy Agriculture land or vote. Except for these two,an OCI can do what ever a Indian citizen can do.

Good day folks!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.