minions2

cheapest yet reliable airline

29 posts in this topic

Cathay is an excellent carrier with superb staff that try to cater to your every need regardless of travel class.

Re these questions about 'cheap'. There really is no such thing as a 'cheap' airline. If there were such an animal they wouldn't be around long.

There are 'cheap' or rather 'cheaper' tickets that can be purchased which has no bearing at all to the actual carrier. IE you could choose KAL not in any way a 'Cheap' airlines and can pay anywhere from $800 to $4000, same route, same flight, same everything except when you decided to make your purchase.

I have flown China Eastern out of JFK which I personally would class as a 'cheaper' carrier than JAL. Don't know why because the equipment was the same. Only difference was flying with a bunch of Chinese or a bunch of Japanese. Didn't make a lot of difference one way or another because I never struck up a conversation with either seatmates coming or going. Anyway my ticket on China Eastern the 'cheaper' carrier was more than the JAL ticket.

So the bottom line is not to confuse cheap tickets with cheap airlines.

IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Manila, Philippines
Marriage (if applicable): 2014-05-17
I-130 Sent : 2014-06-23
I-130 NOA1 : 2014-06-25
I-130 RFE : 2014-08-11 (Wanted NSO Marriage Certificate, not LCR)
I-130 RFE Sent : 2014-08-14
I-130 Approved : 2014-08-27
NVC Received : 2014-09-15
Received DS-261 / AOS Bill : 2014-09-17
Pay AOS Bill : 2014-09-17
Submit DS-261 : 2014-09-17
Send AOS Package : 2014-09-19
Receive IV Bill : 2014-10-03
Pay IV Bill : 2014-10-03
Received Interview Letter by E-mail: 2015-03-20 (May 5, 2015)
SLEC completed: 2015-04-22
Visa Approved: 2015-05-05
Visa Issued: 2015-05-15 (221g for no CENOMAR!)

Visa Received: 2015-05-21

POE: Chicago 2015-09-14

GC Received: 2015-11-17

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I will be flying to the Philippines in October and I will likely be buying a ticket through Cathay Pacific. I have no experience with them but have read good reviews online and I can get a round trip ticket for about $800. Anyone have any experience with Cathay Pacific?

Cathay Pacific is a good airline. They lay over is often in HKG and they have flights to Europe too. I have good feedback from our employees who used the airline to Europe.

$800 is a very good rate! I will definitely buy that I were you.

AOS/ AED/ AP:

(California Service Center, Chula Vista, San Diego, CA)

Filed: Aug 29

Receipt Date: Sept 2

NOA 1 Date: Sept 12 (received text/email)

NOA 1 copy rcvd: Sept 16

Biometrics Notice Date: Sept 17, received Sept 24

Biometrics Sched: Oct 5

Successful walk-in: Sept 26

Oct 13- Case ready to be scheduled for interview

EAD/AP approved - Nov. 1/2 / Received EAD/ AP Combo Card- Nov. 15

50days from NOA1/ 64 days from receipt date.

January 30-  USCIS Ap update, Interview sched on March 3, 2017

Jan 31 - received USCIS letter/ Notice for interview 

March 3- Interview, approved on the Spot

March 8 - received GC

Dec 2018 - To file ROC

My Blogs:

I-129F Petition Process

Medical Requirements

Medical Exam Experience

US Embassy Manila K1/K2 Interview Preparation Requirements and Instructions

Interview (K1 with 2 K2s)

CFO Guidance and Counseling (applicable to applicant from Philippines only)

My K1 Visa Journey

8 August 2015 - Sent I-129F Packet thru USPS

17 August 2015 - I -797C Notice date

20 August 2015 - Received printed copy of NOA1 dated Aug 17.

2 September 2015 - APPROVED! (14 working days from receipt date)

Dec. 21-22 - Medical DONE!

Jan 11, 2016 - Interview- APPROVED!

Jan 15 - Visa ISSUED!

Jan 21 - VISA ON HAND! (8 working days from interview)

March 21 - CFO / PDOS for K2s

June 1, 2016 - POE

July 18, 2016 - Married

I am his and he is mine from this day until the end of my days..

I flew one time RT on China Eastern, a sister company. No problems at all. Trans-pac food sucked as compared to JAL but I really wasn't expecting 5 star cuisine. Packed with Chinese (duh!) and enough crying babies to make long periods of sleep impossible.

Also lots of elderly I think first time flyers. At least from actions and lack of ability to follow issued instructions that's what I surmise. Might just be the culture though.

Where is your POE?

IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Manila, Philippines
Marriage (if applicable): 2014-05-17
I-130 Sent : 2014-06-23
I-130 NOA1 : 2014-06-25
I-130 RFE : 2014-08-11 (Wanted NSO Marriage Certificate, not LCR)
I-130 RFE Sent : 2014-08-14
I-130 Approved : 2014-08-27
NVC Received : 2014-09-15
Received DS-261 / AOS Bill : 2014-09-17
Pay AOS Bill : 2014-09-17
Submit DS-261 : 2014-09-17
Send AOS Package : 2014-09-19
Receive IV Bill : 2014-10-03
Pay IV Bill : 2014-10-03
Received Interview Letter by E-mail: 2015-03-20 (May 5, 2015)
SLEC completed: 2015-04-22
Visa Approved: 2015-05-05
Visa Issued: 2015-05-15 (221g for no CENOMAR!)

Visa Received: 2015-05-21

POE: Chicago 2015-09-14

GC Received: 2015-11-17

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Southern China Air is cheap, and much more than reliable! Flights are so cheap right now not sure what your brother is trying to accomplish.

we were able to booked a flight with china southern for 600+.... for the same date PAL price is 1100+

Great plane, good food, lots of space. I would fly with them for any flight, they are partners with Delta I believe.

Timeline

I flew Air China one time, Never again.

I will never use any airline related to China or has a lay over in China.

China Southern was the nicest international flight I've been on. I've flown a lot of international flights. The word China doesn't make something bad. I agree that the Chinese airport isn't great, during the day it looks like every other airport. But I had a layover at like 3 a.m. I saw multiple dog sized rats running around, it was funny to me but I'm sure some might not find it funny. They have birds in Orlando airport, so at the end of the day not a huge deal.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

China Southern was the nicest international flight I've been on. I've flown a lot of international flights. The word China doesn't make something bad. I agree that the Chinese airport isn't great, during the day it looks like every other airport. But I had a layover at like 3 a.m. I saw multiple dog sized rats running around, it was funny to me but I'm sure some might not find it funny. They have birds in Orlando airport, so at the end of the day not a huge deal.

I had a nightmare story in Bejing airport a few years ago. Long story short due to I flew from SFO to Bejing on Air China and was going onto Manila. My luggage got lost and by we only had a 1 hour to catch next plane to Manila. They said (airport police) I didn't have enough time to catch plane and put me back on plane to Los Angeles.

So I will never enter CHina again after that ordeal or fly any China plane........

Timeline

I had a nightmare story in Bejing airport a few years ago. Long story short due to I flew from SFO to Bejing on Air China and was going onto Manila. My luggage got lost and by we only had a 1 hour to catch next plane to Manila. They said (airport police) I didn't have enough time to catch plane and put me back on plane to Los Angeles.

So I will never enter CHina again after that ordeal or fly any China plane........

Yeah I probably wouldn't either. I always do carry on. Manila always gives me trying to make me check my bag. Last time I told them they have to get me a signed letter saying that everything in my bag will be covered in the event they lose it. After speaking with the supervisor they said just take the bag... ha ha. They have a different standard of what can go on an airplane compared to everyone else it kind of sucks. Another side not, the Chinese aren't the best to fly with they seem to always get sick and my wife says they drive her nuts by clearing their throat a lot but I don't even notice it.

I flew Air China one time, Never again.

I will never use any airline related to China or has a lay over in China.

even my chinese co-workers tell me not to fly with air china. delay/cancel flights are very often with no apologies. if you guys want to take your chance, go ahead.

how about asiana guys?? cathay pacifc is my 1st choice but its kinda expensive for a 1 way ticket...

Cathay Pacific and Asiana, I'd give about the same rate, KAL is good too. excellent service, up-to-date equipment, relatively new planes, good food, and cute flight attendants.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Other Timeline

did you get your luggage?

Timeline

I took China Southern Airlines and was shocked it was not a circus. The planes are clean and the staffing was great. I will fly them again next year when i go back.

Met: Filipino Cupid September 2012
Visited Philippines: January 18, 2015
Engaged: January 22, 2015
NOA1: May 28, 2015

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.