having makeup and hair done as part of the celebration

the milk and date first meal served on silver and gold platters

the colorful gowns with matching cumberbun, jewelry and crown

I had 3

first was blue with white and long cape

next was rose, orange and gold

the 3rd was Rose and green

colors i would never put together but were so beautiful

I did just a one day celebration as time was limitied but my gf had the 5 day long event

This is the beauiful part of the marriage as the actual marriage is signing court documents / no wedding

In the US you must first obtain a marriage license from the loal courts then any mosque would be able to preform the ceremony and singn the marriage license. My fiance and I will be doing this. Please check with the local court in your home county/city for specific requirements. We will have two ceremonies a christian and a muslim and we will incorporate aspects and traditions of both cultures.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

No offence but I don't think this is true. They cannot refuse marry couple (w/o license) because what mosque does has priority over anything else. In other words religion first the rest second

You are right however to be valid from a legal standpoint you need to plan to follow the local laws in effect at the time and place of the marriage.

If you want the marriage recognized by the US government (allowing you to adjust status from K1 to green card) then you will be needing to obtain a license to marry from the local county which the Imam will sign so that the marriage can be legally registered.

This is in addition to the contract, mahr, etc, that would normally be a part of an Islamic ceremony.

As advised, please contact your local Imam.

Edited by Expat1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Libya
Timeline

In New York you just make sure the Imam is register with the city clerk as an officiant which usually they are, then you can cover both marriage types at the same time. Very easy.

19-Sept-14: I-129F Delivered

23-Sept-14: NOA1 (I-797C ~ Texas Lockbox accepted I-129F)

24-Sept-14: NOA1 (E-mail & Text)

Sent to California Service Center

3-Nov-14: Requested expedite by mailed letter with UN Human Rights Reports (Humanitarian Situation)

14-Nov-14: NOA2 (I-129F Petition Approved ~ E-mail & Text)

1-Dec-14: NVC Received Case

2-Dec-14: NVC Case Number Assigned

9-Dec-14: Embassy Received

3-Feb-15: "Package 3" Received/Turned In

25-Feb-15: "Package 4" - Received Interview Date

19-Mar-15: Interview ~ Approved

27-Mar-15: Visa Issued

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline

Sorry you all marry in the US

YOu miss the best part of the marriage celebration in the spouse's home country

the Henna

having makeup and hair done as part of the celebration

the milk and date first meal served on silver and gold platters

the colorful gowns with matching cumberbun, jewelry and crown

I had 3

first was blue with white and long cape

next was rose, orange and gold

the 3rd was Rose and green

colors i would never put together but were so beautiful

I did just a one day celebration as time was limitied but my gf had the 5 day long event

This is the beauiful part of the marriage as the actual marriage is signing court documents / no wedding

It's not always possible for various reasons. We couldn't have a wedding because of a family tragedy that occurred very soon before our marriage. Please do not judge others just because they didn't do things the same as you. And how superficial of you, the beautiful part of the marriage is coming together with your soulmate, symbolizing your undying love and spending the rest of your lives together.

"A million years if I could live,
A thousand lives if I could give,
I would spend it all again with you,
Don't forget where you belong,
Only with me you are strong,
Not even the gods above can break,
Baby what we have"

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

As stated by AM Khan you first have to go to Masjid and Ask Imam to read your nikkah then u can register your marriage in court because registering of marriage in the court is mandatory in terms of US Law of marriage but but proper Islamic marriage u have to go to masjid and do nikkah first to be consider proper married couple as per Sharia Laws.

Service Center : Nebraska Service Center

Consulate : Islamabad, Pakistan

Marriage (if applicable): 2013-08-24

I-130 Sent : 2014-08-28

I-130 NOA1 : 2014-09-02

I-130 RFE : 2015-02-06

I-130 RFE Sent : 2015-02-20

I-130 Approved : 2015-03-03

NVC Received : 2015-03-28

Received DS-261 / AOS Bill : 2015-06-01

Pay AOS Bill : 2015-06-01

Send AOS Package : 2015-06-04

Submit DS-261 : 2015-06-04

Receive IV Bill : 2015-07-01

Pay IV Bill : 2015-07-05

Send IV Package : 2015-07-24

Checklist : 2015-10-06

Case Completed : 2015-11-11

Interview Date (IR-1/CR-1 Visa): 2016.01.21

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Lebanon
Timeline

I think it's 2 separate things. I think you might still have to apply for a marriage license from the city/county.

I was thinking of getting married the Iranian way, and I was told you can but you still have to do it through the county or city.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hello!

I didn't really know how it worked in the US since I am from France. Therefore, we emailed a mosque in Miami who said we had to apply for a marriage license first. I thought it was the same system as France so we had the civil wedding performed at the clerk's office.

Then we went to the mosque with the paper and the imam was suprized that we had it signed by the clerk already as he was planning on signing it. However, he performed the religious wedding anyway and gave us a paper proving we did the nikah.

By doing so, we did not have to return the marriage act to the clerk's office. However, if you want the imam to sign the paper, then you will have to give it back to the clerk's office and wait for them to send it back to you.

congratulations :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.