squeakyboots111

change of address but "out of status"?

10 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

So here's the deal -- I'm currently "in limbo" or "out ouf status" with my GC having been expired and the one year extension also. I am currently putting together an I-751 in hopes of re-enstating my residency. The issue is I am moving to a new address and the research I've done tells me I need to go to a DMV office in person in order to change my address since I am not a citizen. I don't have any papers to show right now, and my question is: does the DMV require documents showing my status for an address change? Or do I just go in and fill out and sign the form and pay the fee and I'm out?

Please help!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

if your 1 year extension has expired,

and you have a 2 year green card,

and you already applied for a 10 year card via I-751 -

then get into a local USCIS office, get a new I-551 stamp in yer passport, give over the new address there.

If these 3 things not apply to you, please tell us more about your situation?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

My situation is pretty complicated - I didn't get into too much detail because I just needed an answer to my question as I was going to go to the DMV this morning but I wasn't sure about the documentation part, and I wanted to be prepared. The other info is irrelevant to my question because all I wanted to know was does the DMV request documentation for an address change for immigrants? I happen to be "out of status" at the moment so I needed that information.

But here is my situation in a nutshell to give you more info: Arrived in the US on a K-1, married spouse within one month, spouse became abusive. Left spouse 7 months into the marriage, took our infant with me. Received GC about a month before leaving spouse, no interview. About a year went by. Filed an I-751 (without spouse as by then we were divorced), received 1 year extension. During our bitter custody battle, my ex went to the immigration office and stated that I committed fraud and married him just for the papers. Immigration sent me a letter terminating my status based on this (no RFE, no interview, nothing). Got a letter to get my biometrics done. Did biometrics (my attorney strongly recomended I do it). Received notice that my I-751 was denied (no notice of Intent to Deny, no RFE).

Fast forward about 2 years later -- today. Decided to consult different attorneys about my immigration situation (second and third opinions). I was told I'd need to re-submit an I-751 in order to re-enstate my status. Every attorney I spoke with was shocked at the denial of the I-751 considering how much evidence I had. Turns out first attorney did not submit all the information I gave her and the package was poorly assembled. So I am currently putting together a second I-751 package with even more information and evidence with a new attorney. I am out of status, or "in limbo" as I've been told. I was told I'd receive a notice of a court date but I have not received anything to date. I have a valid DL, and a SSN. Need to change my address on my DL but not sure if I need to show papers...

Edited by squeakyboots111

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

ok - thanks for the backgrounder - ignore anything i've written here, as it's wrong for your exact situation.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Welcome to the forum.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Thank you Pitaya and Darnell.

Since I'm already on here and have explained my situation, does anyone have any insight or advice they could share to make my situation any better? Has anyone else been through something similar, and what was the outcome?

Filed: Timeline

What state is this? It seems absurd that if you have a valid DL, and you are not renewing it or anything, you are simply changing information on it, that they should let you change it. (What good would it do the state to have your wrong address on a valid DL?) You don't have a legal presence document right now, at least not until you file I-751 (in which case you may possibly be able to get an I-551 stamp). So if they really require a legal presence document to change address, you won't be able to change it right now (make sure to use USPS mail forwarding so you at least get any mail), or you will have to change to one of those no-legal-presence-document DLs if your state offers one.

newacct I am in Houston, TX.

I called the DMV and told them it was my understanding that as a non-USC I was unable to complete an address change online nor mail in the form, and I asked what documentation I needed to bring in person in order to change my address on my DL and I was told proof of lawful residency and 2 additional peices of proof showing I was receiving mail at the new address.

Yes, I am unable to make any changes now. I have notified USPS of my address change and have aranged to have all mail forwarded.

I wasn't aware I'd possibly get an I-551 stamp after my I-751 has been sent off - does that serve as something to show lawful residency, even if only temporarily? Rememember - I've already had a GC and it has expired. I also have received a notice of termination of status, in addition to a denied I-751. I'm not sure if those factors impact my situation differently.

Edited by squeakyboots111