Jump to content

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

I am on a TN visa and my son is studying in the university with TD visa/I20. I intend to change my current job and obtain a new TN visa soon. Can my son continue to study in the university on I20 alone if I don't apply for his new TD visa? I believe, Canadian citizen do not need a visa to study in the US but only require an approved I20 and pay the SEVIS fees. He does not have any plan to go outside of US during the course of his study. Thanks

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

If there is a break in your TN status (i.e., there is a time period when you are not employed in the US officially in TN status), it also breaks your son's TD status, leaving him with no status in the US. While Canadians do not need an F1 visa to study in the US, they DOneed to be admitted in or change status to F1. Easiest would be for him to return to Canada and re-enter the US with his I-20 and get admitted in F1 status.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.