Janelle2002

Chasing fair skin, Ivorians ignore whitening cream ban

144 posts in this topic

We must be using different googles.

https://www.google.com/search?q=beauty&biw=1347&bih=994&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAmoVChMImpvV-8ehxwIVhYuSCh0kAgAc&dpr=0.95

There is one Asian woman and one woman who may be considered black. Can't tell.

for me, this was the first foto that popped up.

9581b6af2dc6cb367f3aeb375442f984.jpg

https://www.google.com/search?q=beauty&biw=1347&bih=994&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAmoVChMImpvV-8ehxwIVhYuSCh0kAgAc&dpr=0.95

Edited by Janelle2002

No, but the results were:

1. Blondes

2. Mrs. T-B.

3. You.

You are really starting to be my number one friend! :wub:

He said black men. Ivorian men are black and they're men so.......

But an Ivorian wouldn't considered themselves black because this is a term that is used to describe black Americans. However, we can use black when referring to the skin tone.

But an Ivorian wouldn't considered themselves black because this is a term that is used to describe black Americans.

If you think black is only used in America to describe black Americans, you are mistaken.

Filed: Timeline

This reminds me of my trip to SE Asia to visit relatives. They are some folks there that do crazy things to look white, beside the cream. It's hot as heck and they cover up their skins to avoid getting tan. I asked my cousins, and they say white is more attractive.

If you think black is only used in America to describe black Americans, you are mistaken.

Well, lets change this to pertain to certain situations. When you are talking to a black person in America, this is what we think, you are talking about a black American.

This reminds me of my trip to SE Asia to visit relatives. They are some folks there that do crazy things to look white, beside the cream. It's hot as heck and they cover up their skins to avoid getting tan. I asked my cousins, and they say white is more attractive.

Yes, I've traveled to Sri Lanka on several occasions and this is the case. They think I am most beautiful when I come during the winter time in America because I haven't had much sun light so my skin looks paler.

When you are talking to a black person in America, this is what we think, you are talking about a black American.

Your ignorance is not for me to deal with it, it's for you to address and resolve.

Your ignorance is not for me to deal with it, it's for you to address and resolve.

Am I ignorant or are you ignorant? There are plenty of topics on this subject about who is considered black, African American and so on. Many Africans who come to America do not call themselves black. Try calling a person from the Dominican Republic black and see what kind of response you receive.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

The problem is, how do you change your skin color to make it lighter, safer? It is the same with lightening your hair color. It requires bleach.

I would be against it regardless just because women should learn to be comfortable and ok with their beauty just the way they are. But you do propose a good question. Will the people of Ivory Coast be ok with whitening cream if they found a safer cream to use?

And even though both genders are looking for a "catch," men do not have to go through the extremities that women have to go through to be considered beautiful.

Fair enough, that is where the debate is then..

For me.. Before getting skin cancer I would go to tanning salons for a month before I traveled to tropical areas. I would tell myself it was because I did not want to burn easily being near the equator but the real reason is I look better with a darker complexion and I was going to be hitting the beaches and the clubs. These days I do not have that option so before we go on our trips I have a darkening cream I use for three days before and then every third day while we are there to maintain the color. My wife is already olive skinned but she also uses darkening cream (they make them for people going dark to darker as well) before we go on trips.

If someone was to try and push to make this illegal because I should be happy with my skin color I would be very upset at the control.. I would be bringing up teeth whitening and hair coloring and hair straightening and breast augmentation and botox and laser hair removal and plastic surgery and plain everyday makeup and everything else people do to change their appearance that has no direct positive effect on health.

I understand the issue with the whitening cream seams to go beyond that of the darkening cream (even if we assume it is safe) but is it really? The women in this article don't appear to be trying to look like a white person - they appear to be trying to look a different skin shade because the men find it more attractive (the "glow" the advertisements talk about). The women doing it are getting attention so the others emulate - it does not appear to go any deeper than that.

on the second subject..

Women do a lot more than men on the beauty front sure.. They do not *have* to do more - they chose to do more. Women do more because the reward for beauty is greater for them. No matter how good a male looks the chances that someone will economically support him or romantically pursue him because he is physically pleasing to the eye is still low.

I don't believe it.. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. -Ford Prefect

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The problem with the crèmes produced in the less regulated parts is they tend to contain large amounts of mercury. Not something that is good to slather on your body for any reason.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Fair enough, that is where the debate is then..

For me.. Before getting skin cancer I would go to tanning salons for a month before I traveled to tropical areas. I would tell myself it was because I did not want to burn easily being near the equator but the real reason is I look better with a darker complexion and I was going to be hitting the beaches and the clubs. These days I do not have that option so before we go on our trips I have a darkening cream I use for three days before and then every third day while we are there to maintain the color. My wife is already olive skinned but she also uses darkening cream (they make them for people going dark to darker as well) before we go on trips.

If someone was to try and push to make this illegal because I should be happy with my skin color I would be very upset at the control.. I would be bringing up teeth whitening and hair coloring and hair straightening and breast augmentation and botox and laser hair removal and plastic surgery and plain everyday makeup and everything else people do to change their appearance that has no direct positive effect on health.

I understand the issue with the whitening cream seams to go beyond that of the darkening cream (even if we assume it is safe) but is it really? The women in this article don't appear to be trying to look like a white person - they appear to be trying to look a different skin shade because the men find it more attractive (the "glow" the advertisements talk about). The women doing it are getting attention so the others emulate - it does not appear to go any deeper than that.

on the second subject..

Women do a lot more than men on the beauty front sure.. They do not *have* to do more - they chose to do more. Women do more because the reward for beauty is greater for them. No matter how good a male looks the chances that someone will economically support him or romantically pursue him because he is physically pleasing to the eye is still low.

Yes, it should be banned because it is a risk to health, not because of someone's personal opinion. I totally agree with this.

Well of course they aren't trying to look like a white person, they are just trying to conform to the European standards of beauty. Straightening their hair and trying to lighten their skin. They could never be white because they are not.

Should women be rewarded for altering almost everything about themselves? Is getting a rich man really that rewarding if he will only love you for what you surgically or chemically altered?

The problem with the crèmes produced in the less regulated parts is they tend to contain large amounts of mercury. Not something that is good to slather on your body for any reason.

Agreed

Because they all want white men like you. Most black/indian/etc women married to white men are of the light-skinned variety. So they play the odds. Whitening cream is a no-lose proposition. Either you stay as dark as you are or you get prettier and the white man likes you.

Most of my friends like the darker skinned women from the Philippines. Even have a name for it. EXOTIC beauty

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

[Moderator hat on]

Two participants in this thread are badgering other participants. Lighten up (no pun intended) on this now, please.

[Moderator hat off]

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Dunno, I use a hydroquinone/tretinoin solution prescribed by my dermo to deal with some minor discoloration. It works, but I have to be extremely careful to limit sun exposure, and I can only use it for two months at a time. I did a lot of research before consenting to use hydroquinone because my experience in the UK was that it was banned. It has been banned in the EU because of poor production and high mercury content in some products. However, the stuff I use is made by a major pharmaceutical lab without any mercury. There is a place for hydroquinone and it can be safe. The problem is using poor quality formulations without regard for sun safety.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que