colombianmainer

father will not sign a permission for child to leave country letter

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Asked my immigration attorney if the USCIS also had some kind of an expedient fee, was told only for large corporations, bringing some kind of talented employees here. For us poor slobs, just sit and wait.

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline

Im the colombian fiancee speaking..... so, the father finally gave in and signed the normal permission issued by migracion and we are going to the nothary on tuesday to sign the escritura publica (permanent permission for my child to leave). We dont want to continue with our process until we have that sacred paper in my hands hence we're eager for next week to come already.

Now, i have been reading stuff about the medical exams and seems like Dr. Dennis is the best one to go to, no?

And i have also found a thread that says they are on a delay to schedule the visa interviews at the embassy.... im not sure if they STILL are, but ive read people waiting since July, then Aug, so idk if we will have to wait for open slots. Does anyone have any idea? We are planning to schedule all the appointments this next week, i really hope we dont have to wait any more ugh.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Colombiana al habla!............ El papa de mi hijo por fin se digno a firmar el permiso de salida que da migracion y este martes vamos a ir a la notaria a firmar la escritura publica (permiso permanente). No queremos hacer nada todavia hasta no tener ese bendito papel en mis manos, por eso estamos tan ansiosos de que llegue esta semana.

Ahora, encontre un tema en un foro que dicen que desde Julio la gente ha estado esperando para programar su cita de la entrevista y hasta ahora no han habido cupos. No se, no estoy segura si todavia no se ha arreglado, asi que no se si nos tocara esperar mas por un cupo. ALGUIEN DE USTEDES SABE? Mi prometido y yo planeamos programar todo esta semana y ojala, ojalaaaaaaaa no nos toque esperar mas. ALGUIEN TIENE INFORMACION?

Ojala puedan guiarme... gracias!

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

I-693, has to be done by a USCIS approved doctor and not covered by my health insurance policy. Not afraid to ask for quotes by going to that site of approved doctors. Can you believe anywhere from 350 to 5000 bucks per person? The 350 one was 140 miles away, well worth the drive and a very friendly doctor. Told me I can have all of those communicable diseases tested by my local county health department.

Most expensive was the Aids test at 25 bucks per person, other shots they needed was only like five bucks a piece. To make life easy for our doctor, downloaded the I-693 forms and filled in the top half for each person and printed out several copies. Wife also brought along all of her and her daugthers medical records and translated them into English.

Ha, the doctor said this was the easiest I-693 he ever had to fill out, but the price was stil $700.00, thought he was going to lower that, but happily wrote out the check. We were in and out of there in about twenty minutes.

Im the colombian fiancee speaking..... so, the father finally gave in and signed the normal permission issued by migracion and we are going to the nothary on tuesday to sign the escritura publica (permanent permission for my child to leave). We dont want to continue with our process until we have that sacred paper in my hands hence we're eager for next week to come already.

Now, i have been reading stuff about the medical exams and seems like Dr. Dennis is the best one to go to, no?

And i have also found a thread that says they are on a delay to schedule the visa interviews at the embassy.... im not sure if they STILL are, but ive read people waiting since July, then Aug, so idk if we will have to wait for open slots. Does anyone have any idea? We are planning to schedule all the appointments this next week, i really hope we dont have to wait any more ugh.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Colombiana al habla!............ El papa de mi hijo por fin se digno a firmar el permiso de salida que da migracion y este martes vamos a ir a la notaria a firmar la escritura publica (permiso permanente). No queremos hacer nada todavia hasta no tener ese bendito papel en mis manos, por eso estamos tan ansiosos de que llegue esta semana.

Ahora, encontre un tema en un foro que dicen que desde Julio la gente ha estado esperando para programar su cita de la entrevista y hasta ahora no han habido cupos. No se, no estoy segura si todavia no se ha arreglado, asi que no se si nos tocara esperar mas por un cupo. ALGUIEN DE USTEDES SABE? Mi prometido y yo planeamos programar todo esta semana y ojala, ojalaaaaaaaa no nos toque esperar mas. ALGUIEN TIENE INFORMACION?

Ojala puedan guiarme... gracias!

I'm glad to hear you finally got your a55hole ex to sign your kid's permission to leave the country, I went by the very same situation, fortunately I hired a good immigration attorney who finally got him to sign, following the attorney's advice we went straight for the permanent permission as you said (escritura pública). Even though you have the signed Escritura Pública, you need to be aware that he can change his mind at any point and revoke his permission (of course I hope it does not happen to any of us!) PLEASE note that every time you and your child want to leave the country you have to go to the same Notary where your permission was originally filed and ask for the validity certificate it's good for 30 days only so be careful it's not expired by the time you intend to leave. You only have to show up to the notary and Show the original document, they will process it right away and it's like 4.000 Colombian Pesos. it's good to prove the permission has not been revoked.

Good luck!!!

Timeline

Thank you! Yeah, im very aware of this, thing is he isnt lol, but yeah hopefully he will not change his goddamn mind when we have everything ready (toco madera!). Here is like 7,000 pesos for the copy of the escritura and 12,500 more for the validity certificate. I scheduled the interview just a bit earlier ago today for October 13th, we are very excited.

Timeline

Wife had that court order signed with the fathers permission to bring her daughter to the US, but this was not enough. Also needed a second letter, not as formal, from the father for her daughter to board the plane with the exact flight number and the name of the airline. Without this, her daughter could not board the plane.

This was a few years ago, but you better check with the airlines first to learn if you still need this letter.

Didn't end there, as the Colombian Consolate, even with that court order in Chicago, they would not issue her daughter a Colombian passport without permission from her father. We even brough along the divorce papers showing my wife had full custody of her daughter, still no go, they wanted that biological fathers permission first before they would issue it. For whatever reason, this guy was nuts, refused to sign it, but complained vehemently that he couldn't see his daughter. We had no choice but to wait until she was 18 years old.

Wife could travel back and forth with her Colombian passport and her green card, but when both my wife and stepdaughter received their US Citizenship and US Passports, still needed their Colombian passport to enter that country before they would let them in. Because their place of birth on their US passport was in Bogota. Just have to show that to enter, but when leaving, also have to show their US passport as well, because they don't have a visa to come here.

They were told at the oath ceremony that they are now US citizens exactly like if they were born here. Could be true with the USCIS, but not true when dealing with the DOS.

US passport opened many doors to visit differenent countries without a visa, all except for their home country. Need a Colombian passport for this, plus your US passport.

Timeline

I contacted the DOS on this issuse, not very friendly people, said they needed place of birth on the US passport for identification purposes. When did this start? Don't know, always been this way. You already have a three inch thick file regarding their identities! Doesn't matter, has to be this way.

So then I contacted my senator and congressman on this issue, both said they have no say on this matter, strictly under the executive branch. Contact the president. So I did, several times, but never received a response, both from Bush and Obama.

Its my understanding that these agreements are made at embassy parties, more then likely when these ambassadors are drunk and apparently our amabassadors can't hold their liquor. And apparently the only requirement to become an ambassador is one that helped the president become elected.

One thing you don't dare say to the DOS, this is dual citizenship, don't like this word, call it dual naturalization. But it is dual citizenship, because you cannot get a passport from that country unless you are a citizen of that country.

And my wife's first comment on this issue, she if going against the oath she made at the USCIS oath ceremony that she took very seriously. But has no choice, except never to see her family again.

Never realized how screwed up MY country is that I was literally forced to fight for, until I got involved with immigration.

Timeline

Wow, thats nuts. I will ask my fiancé to check that out with the airline we plan to travel with. I have the normal permission that states when we're leaving and with what purpose, signed and notarized, and the permanent permission (escritura publica) also, signed and notarized as well. I even took both of these documents to the migration people and they said i could use either of them and there would be no issue. But i didnt know about the airline. Thanks for your input.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.