IcezMan_IcezLady

Have you considered moving because of immigration hassle?

17 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Has anyone considered relocating to beneficiary's home country due to immigration hassle?

If you have relocated, were you able to obtain job with US government agency or missions abroad? Likelihood of ending up working in that country?

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

Timeline

I thought about that but I've been at Toyota for 17 years I'm gonna do 3 more and see how I feel after that, I would check the DOJ site for jobs at the embassy or maybe open your own business that is what I thought about, but it's gonna be better if you have money saved too cause Ghana is becoming expensive

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I'll tell you our experience: At first, we gathered the papers to start the K1 Visa, I even mailed my documents to my fiance in that time. But his job wasn't working him, he couldn't find another, and the distance was killing us, so he decided to move here to Colombia and we got married. We already did his paper for him to be able to work and stay here longer than three months. I found him a job at the school where I work as an English teacher. He is taking Spanish lessons and playing soccer, something that he loves. At the begging, he was worried because he didn't know any Spanish, but now he can understand and speak some. Life here is not like in the USA, but we are happy because we are together. We are planning on living here for maybe two years and then move to the USA to have and raise our kids there. We hope for when we start the process to get my visa the dollar goes down; right now it is pretty high.

I know this is difficult, but I will keep trying. It will work because, this distance is nothing compared to our love. :wub:

10/2013 we met at church in USA, through some common friends. We became friends.

06/07/2014 we went to our first date. :dancing: Why did we take so long to go out? :ranting:

06/22/2014 I said YES.. I want to be your girlfriend... :luv:

07/16/2014 I had to come back to Colombia because my program was over :cry:

10/10/2014 My love met me in Colombia to spend my birthday weekend with me. We got engaged (L)

02/17/2015 - 03/09/2015 He came back to Colombia to visit me and met my family. :star:

05/12/2015 We couldn't stand the distance, so he decided to move here with me. :wub:

05/28/2015 We got married at the notary. 06/06/2015 We got married at church :D

12/03/2016  Moved back to the USA. 🥰

08/2020 Became a Citizen. 🇱🇷

08/2020 Applied to bring my mom. ❤️

02/28/2022 went to pick my mom to the airport in Florida 🤩

Filed: Timeline

I'll tell you our experience: At first, we gathered the papers to start the K1 Visa, I even mailed my documents to my fiance in that time. But his job wasn't working him, he couldn't find another, and the distance was killing us, so he decided to move here to Colombia and we got married. We already did his paper for him to be able to work and stay here longer than three months. I found him a job at the school where I work as an English teacher. He is taking Spanish lessons and playing soccer, something that he loves. At the begging, he was worried because he didn't know any Spanish, but now he can understand and speak some. Life here is not like in the USA, but we are happy because we are together. We are planning on living here for maybe two years and then move to the USA to have and raise our kids there. We hope for when we start the process to get my visa the dollar goes down; right now it is pretty high.

Unfortunately the visa process might get pricier in the future, like it always has.

Timeline

Has anyone considered relocating to beneficiary's home country due to immigration hassle?

If you have relocated, were you able to obtain job with US government agency or missions abroad? Likelihood of ending up working in that country?

I wouldn't advice anyone to relocate to Ghana because of immigration difficulties. It requires careful planning, critical analyzing, and plenty of money. If not, you are bound to run out of money, get frustrated, and come back to the U.S in a bad situation. It's a very slim to no chance of getting a job with the state department and get stationed in Ghana. Be patient for now. But if you are going to move there, you should start taking steps towards that goal right now, and not make it a sudden decision.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from K-1 Process forum to the General Immigration Discussion forum. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

I would say be patient and wait in the your own country. I spent 8 months in Ghana. It is more expensive than you may think. Petrol is about the same price as here in the States. Food is also expensive, as is housing. I don't know how people survive there. But the Ghanaians I saw and interacted with are very resilient and resourceful. I have a lot of respect for them, as it's not easy to survive, at least in Accra, unless you have a lot of money.

It's also not that easy to find a job that pays well. You may find a job, but you will get the equivalent of 300 dollars a month, even if you are well educated and have a profession. The jobs through the US government and NGOs are usually already filled up with people from that country who send their staff to Ghana (at least that's what I saw while there).

So, all in all, I would think twice about your plan. It's difficult to be apart from your loved one, but in the long run, it may be worth enduring the separation for a better life in the future.

Filed: Timeline

One can do that with careful planning & depending on what country

The USC is not very likely to get a State Dept job just like that , there

are a few embassy jobs available at times for locals in the other country

maybe a USC could get that job if they applied when there is such openings

best would be foreign mate helping & probably gaining a job for USC.

They have to look in location to live that is relatively decent & affordable

find a group of expats there and after settling in they could start the petition

process in the US wherein they would be together & not feel pressured.

Getting a work permit for USC should be the first thing in hand B4 they

relocate.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

I come from Venezuela which is one of the most dangerous places to live! I would never want my husband to move there. Actually all my family relocated in other countries. It's been 4 years since I moved and I haven't go back (not even planning to)

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

YIRsm4.png   Mi1Gm4.pngTh37m4.png    

2013                                                  2014                                                     2015

fNidm5.png NXDpm4.png    VaECm4.png 

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Neither of us wants to live in my country and due to my husband's current situation, the US is the only place for us right now. If we had the option to live somewhere else, I would insist on it. Canada would be our ideal country to live in, it's the best of the US and the best of Europe put into one country. :)

Met online October 2010

Engaged December 31st 2011

heart.gifMarried May 14th 2013 heart.gif

USCIS Stage

September 8th 2014 - Filed I-130 with Nebraska Service Center

September 16th 2014 - NOA1 received

March 2nd 2015 - NOA2 received :dancing:

NVC Stage

March 28th 2015 - Choice of agent complete & AOS fee paid

April 17th 2015 - IV fee paid

May 1st 2015 - Sent in IV application

May 12th 2015 - Sent in AOS and IV documents

May 18th 2015 - Scan Date

June 18th 2015 - Checklist received

June 22nd 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

June 25th 2015 - Put for Supervisor Review

Sept 15th 2015 - Request help from Texas US Senator Cornyn and his team

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Nov 4th 2015 - CASE COMPLETE!!!! :dancing:

Embassy Stage

Dec 16th 2015 - Medical exam

Dec 21st 2015 - Interview

Dec 21st 2015 - 221(g) issued at interview for updated forms

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Jan 20th 2016 - Embassy require more in-depth info on asset for i-864

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

April 5th 2016 - POE Newark. No questions asked.

April 14th 2016 - SSN received

May 10th 2016 - First day at my new job :dancing:

May 27th 2016 - Green Card received

June 7th 2016 - Got my Texas driver's license

Timeline

This process is just frustrating...

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

i thought seriously about it as it took us 6 years but then, i have an income without working and we could have lived good in morocco

but there still would not have been good job oportunities for my husband even though he has 2 years of college and works 6 days a week

the process is frustrating and if wasn't for the support here, most of us couldn't do it.

Can not forget that the election coming up will change embassy staffing as the head of each US embassy is appointed and new President will staff his own people. So, anyone lucky to work there may find themself out of a job in under 2 years

Timeline

i thought seriously about it as it took us 6 years but then, i have an income without working and we could have lived good in morocco

but there still would not have been good job oportunities for my husband even though he has 2 years of college and works 6 days a week

the process is frustrating and if wasn't for the support here, most of us couldn't do it.

Can not forget that the election coming up will change embassy staffing as the head of each US embassy is appointed and new President will staff his own people. So, anyone lucky to work there may find themself out of a job in under 2 years

I hate to think if we get a republican president, we are really gonna be in for rough journey!

Immigration to most countries is hard. On the flip side, we could both move to my country and do the entire process within so there wouldnt be a separation again. But that doesnt mean the process is easy either.

There is no good without bad. No happy without sad. Grin and bear it; the hard makes you stronger.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

This process is just frustrating...

I understand your frustration, but we hope for the best with this petition, i'm praying he joins you soon. when i went to Ghana last year, i told everyone i think Accra is more expensive than New York, rent might be cheaper in Ghana, but everything else is expensive. Will keep you in prayers.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.