joaopaulolekuya

What if my case number doesn't make it? (DV Lottery- Africa)

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Angola
Timeline

I am a DV Lottery applicant from Africa with a case number in the 51,000 numbers.

It seems as though for September the cut-off will be 50,000.

I am so, so close-- but I don't think I'll make it by September 30th.

What can I do?

I have spent money on this, lots of money.... am I going to lose all of this money? It is so, so frustrating.

Is there ANYTHING I can do? My number is only 1,000 off!! :(

Please, anyone with ANY advice, I'd really appreciate it..

Thank you!

If you don't make it by September 30th with interview and visa in hand, you're out of luck. Apply again.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

It's highly unlikely that you will be selected for a second letter. It's not because you are off by 1000 but sometimes people with case numbers in 30,000 range will not get the second letter depending upon how many family members do DV lottery winners getting second letter have. Because if a DV lottery winner gets the second letter and includes 4 family members then he is taking 5 quotas out of 50,000 allocated numbers.

Just out of curiosity, how did you end up spending lots of money? DV application is free.

Edited by arken

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

I am a DV Lottery applicant from Africa with a case number in the 51,000 numbers.

What can I do?

I have spent money on this, lots of money.... am I going to lose all of this money? It is so, so frustrating.

Thank you!

Unfortunately, your number is above the final cutoff for the fiscal year so no, you won't be able to be interviewed for a visa.

I'm also curious as to why you have spent so much money. The two big expenses are medical exams (which you don't do without an interview letter, so you won't have done them) and the interview fee itself, which again you won't spend on. I understand you may have spent some money on getting civil documents together but those fees are pretty negligible in most countries?

It's highly unlikely that you will be selected for a second letter. It's not because you are off by 1000 but sometimes people with case numbers in 30,000 range will not get the second letter depending upon how many family members do DV lottery winners getting second letter have. Because if a DV lottery winner gets the second letter and includes 4 family members then he is taking 5 quotas out of 50,000 allocated numbers.

Just out of curiosity, how did you end up spending lots of money? DV application is free.

Your reasoning is confused. (It is exactly because he is above the final cutoff that he won't receive the letter, but all selectees who have submitted DS forms in time below that number will certainly receive 2NLs, contrary to what you say.) May I suggest something like the britsimonsays blog if you need to understand better how the process works?

Helping applicants process free stuff is a thriving business in Nigeria, as an example. Pisses me off.

It appears to be the case in Ghana too, despite the "agents" there seeming to continually make mistakes on the forms that end up with the applicants being disqualified.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

Your reasoning is confused. (It is exactly because he is above the final cutoff that he won't receive the letter, but all selectees who have submitted DS forms in time below that number will certainly receive 2NLs, contrary to what you say.) May I suggest something like the britsimonsays blog if you need to understand better how the process works?

I am saying that after witnessing several people in my country who were initially selected with case numbers in 30k, 35k range but never received the second letter. Worst part was they had already started selling properties, taking children out of school, resigning from the job. They had university level education, good job. Not sure what britismonsays but DV process is complex in itself.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

I am saying that after witnessing several people in my country who were initially selected with case numbers in 30k, 35k range but never received the second letter. Worst part was they had already started selling properties, taking children out of school, resigning from the job. They had university level education, good job. Not sure what britismonsays but DV process is complex in itself.

Then they either did not submit their DS260s, or sat waiting for an email that was in spam without ever going back to check the website for a 2NL. I guarantee you that if they submitted their DS260s, their 2NLs are waiting for them on the website (same website they checked to see if they were selected). Doesn't matter what their education is, the selection process is actually very simple because (other than duplicate entries) no one gets disqualified before interview. If you get selected, if you submit a DS260 (in time for it to be processed), and if your number is current, you WILL get a 2NL. Either that, or they were using "agents" that scammed them.

And quite frankly, the DV website warns people against doing anything irrecovable, even booking non-refundable air tickets, until they have a visa in hand, so why would they do all this, especially if they didn't even see an interview letter ?

I'm also confused by your postings because you say people in your country with numbers in the 30ks, but your country in your profile is Nepal, which is in Asia, and Asian numbers don't go anywhere near that high. Are you saying you know lots of Africans in Nepal? Something doesn't add up here.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

What can I do?

Thank you!

Hi,

Sorry, but you did not make the cutoff for DV2015.

The DV is free, so you should not have incurred any expenses there.

You can apply for the next DV.

Best of luck

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.