usame

HR is terrible in the US

50 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

I would just like to vent my disappointment at finding suitable employment in the US. I am a highly qualified business professional and I am having a hard time dealing with all the red tape in the US. I recently interviewed with a company for a role I would enjoy but it seems as though the HR department just wants to drag their heels. I have been on both sides of the table when it comes to interviews and I know that there is always 1 or 2 candidates who stand out. That is when you STOP the process and make an offer. What I have experienced thus far (I have only been in the US for a few weeks) has been the most unprofessional hiring process in my entire life.

People are telling me I need to "network" but that is impossible since I only know my spouse and a few friends. I feel like this supposedly great country is anything but great. Interviewers are ill equipped to interview and HR departments are very disconnected from Hiring Managers. I was expecting better.I will not stop my job search but it's getting to the point where I am very disappointed.

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

The hiring process in the US can be frustrating and as of lately there is a lot of talent out there making it hard for the hiring managers to make a decision. Some companies also require that a few candidates be interviewed before they will make an offer to anyone, so it may be that they have a busy hiring schedule and you're on someone's docket somewhere. There is also the fact a lot of companies do speculative interviewing and take in outside candidates to interview for a position they already have an internal candidate picked just because they are mandated by HR to do so.

Don't let your disappointment take the best of you. Just navigate through the maze and keep putting yourself out there and interviewing so you also get used to the interview methods. The more you interview the better you will sound for the more you'll know how the game is played.

Just be patient and good luck!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

The hiring process in the US can be frustrating and as of lately there is a lot of talent out there making it hard for the hiring managers to make a decision. Some companies also require that a few candidates be interviewed before they will make an offer to anyone, so it may be that they have a busy hiring schedule and you're on someone's docket somewhere. There is also the fact a lot of companies do speculative interviewing and take in outside candidates to interview for a position they already have an internal candidate picked just because they are mandated by HR to do so.

Don't let your disappointment take the best of you. Just navigate through the maze and keep putting yourself out there and interviewing so you also get used to the interview methods. The more you interview the better you will sound for the more you'll know how the game is played.

Just be patient and good luck!

Thanks JohnR, I appreciate your insight. I've been through the immigration black hole so I am accustomed to a long wait. I don't expect a job to land on my lap immediately but when I have a good interview and the Hiring Manager seems very interested I expect an offer. As you said, it may be an internal hire but that seems a huge waste of time - both for me and the company.

All I can do is keep my head up and continue submitting applications I suppose.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Sounds pretty normal, what country are you from?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Sounds pretty normal, what country are you from?

I am from South Africa, but I am an Actuary and my exams are accredited world wide and mutually recognized in the US. When I hired talent in South Africa, I looked at every resume myself because HR is ill equipped to understand the job at hand. Putting highly skilled individuals through a HR computer system seems ridiculous to me.

I got a good feeling as well when i had my 2nd interview but it took them a couple weeks before i got a formal offer.

Timeline

I used to have dealing with Actuaries in the UK, I was in the Insurance sector, but never realised they had some sort of world wide accreditation, certainly not the case in Insurance.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

By all means - do keep your head up. One of the my pet peeves is that in many places they won't even give you the courtesy of a call to let you know you weren't chosen or didn't make the cut. If you ask about hiring dates, they are very vague, leave you guessing and never bother to call. That is disrespectful and inconsiderate.

One way to network is to create a profile in sites such as Linked In and Monster, where your resume will be more in evidence.

Whatever you do, don't relent. Keep at it. All you need is that one call back.

Thanks JohnR, I appreciate your insight. I've been through the immigration black hole so I am accustomed to a long wait. I don't expect a job to land on my lap immediately but when I have a good interview and the Hiring Manager seems very interested I expect an offer. As you said, it may be an internal hire but that seems a huge waste of time - both for me and the company.

All I can do is keep my head up and continue submitting applications I suppose.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

I used to have dealing with Actuaries in the UK, I was in the Insurance sector, but never realised they had some sort of world wide accreditation, certainly not the case in Insurance.

Yes, in the last few years the Institute of Actuaries in Oxford has mutual recognition agreements with both the Casualty of Actuaries and the Society of Actuaries in the US. The exams are almost identical. The experience may differ but anyone who passes those exams can hit the ground running easily.

By all means - do keep your head up. One of the my pet peeves is that in many places they won't even give you the courtesy of a call to let you know you weren't chosen or didn't make the cut. If you ask about hiring dates, they are very vague, leave you guessing and never bother to call. That is disrespectful and inconsiderate.

One way to network is to create a profile in sites such as Linked In and Monster, where your resume will be more in evidence.

Whatever you do, don't relent. Keep at it. All you need is that one call back.

Yes, you are right. Nothing worth having comes easily :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Yes, in the last few years the Institute of Actuaries in Oxford has mutual recognition agreements with both the Casualty of Actuaries and the Society of Actuaries in the US. The exams are almost identical. The experience may differ but anyone who passes those exams can hit the ground running easily.

In the U.S. it's not what you know but who you know. There's plenty of people with degrees from top schools working in fast food. I agree with them telling you to network, it is always going to pay off the best knowing someone. Good luck with the job search, the best jobs take the longest time to get and have the most interviews.

I would look to see if there is a society or association for actuaries in your area. I am part of this type of organization for my field of work. Each month at the end of our meeting we talk about opportunities in our area. We have hired a few folks by networking at this meeting. Best of luck.

Timeline

Insurance is a pretty closed society, I had sort of assumed that Actuary was even more so and contacts would be the way to go.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.