jpeach

Preparing to submit my I-130 Package Need Advice

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Ok guys,

I'm preparing all my documents to submit an I-30 for my Canadian spouse to move to the U.S. Here's a rundown of my situation. I'd really apreciate some advice!

I am a U.S. Citizen who is currently a PR of Canada, immigrated to Canada nearly 5 years ago on a family visa. My spouse has no prior history of travel to the U.S. and I have not maintained many ties. I file my U.S. and Canadian tax returns. No U.S. bank account, no driver's lisence. I have no U.S. address to list and no family member that I would be comfortable asking to use their address or sign any support. I currently have a job position until June 2016, at which point I hope to be well along with this process.

I am intending to return to the U.S. to establish a residence, bank account, driver's lisence, what have you - before my husband's interview date. I should not have any issue establishing a job and a residence (& all else) for him to move to within a month or so of my re-entry to the U.S. (say, by July 2016) and at that point will have no issue proving domicile. That being said, how would I go about filling out the forms to be able to even get us to that point? If I put my Canadian address and a U.S. address as "'to be determined', Arizona" or something like that with no U.S. income presently, will I even get an interview with that kind of ap? I have plenty of bona fide relationship evidence all in order. I'm wondering if it would be at all beneficial to write an intro letter stating basically my intentions. That I want my spouse to begin the process of getting a visa at which point I will re-establish my domicile before his interview date? I mean it wouln't hurt to just be up-front would it? It's allowed for me to re-establish the domicile at or before his entry, right? Not having any of that NOW (at application time) won't hold that up?

USCIS

2015-08-22: Sent I-130

2015-09-01: NOA1; USCIS Received and transferred to CSC (e-mail)

2015-09-22: NOA2; USCIS approval & sent to NVC (21 days from NOA1)

NVC

2015-10-14: Case received by NVC (Found out this date on Oct 19th via phone) (22 days after NOA2)

2015-11-15: Received NVC Welcome Letter (Letter dated Oct 30th)

2015-12-11: Received IV and AOS invoices

2016-02-02: Mailed payment for both

2016-03-23: Started re-establishing my US domicile & joint sponsor

2016-05-30: Finally got all my documentation of domicile and sponsor financial information, sent off IV/AOS email

2016-06-14: NVC requested a new copy of applicant's birth certificate - we sent the "short" one instead of the "long" one - my mistake!

2016-07-08: 3 N/A's!!!

2016-07-13: Received the NVC "case complete" e-mail

2016-07-20: Interview appointment letter!

2016-08-24: Immigration medical

2016-08-30: Interview date - APPROVED!!

The issue I see for you is the affidavit of support. If you do not have someone who would be willing to sign as a joint sponsor, you may want to move to the USA sooner than later to be able to establish 3-6 months of working at a particular job that qualifies, unless you guys plan on qualifying via assets.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

but you also need to show re-establishment of domicile before interview, not entry. Montreal is who you need to impress.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Thanks guys. I'd like to delay the seperation for as long (and as short a duration!) as possible, of course. At this point I just want to get through the first steps and try to ensure I have the rest of it "in order" before the end of the process. Seems like it can take about a year from the first submission until the interview date. And yes, I intend to move back and re-establish my domicile before the interview date to show Montreal :)

Edited by jpeach

USCIS

NVC

2015-10-14: Case received by NVC (Found out this date on Oct 19th via phone) (22 days after NOA2)

2016-05-30: Finally got all my documentation of domicile and sponsor financial information, sent off IV/AOS email

2016-06-14: NVC requested a new copy of applicant's birth certificate - we sent the "short" one instead of the "long" one - my mistake!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline

HI jpeach-- I noticed you already got your NOA1 on your timeline, but the date is in the future? Or was that a mistake?

04/30/2014: Married :)
08/11/2015: I-130 mailed to Chicago lockbox via FedEx
08/17/2015: NOA1 - Nebraska Service Center

Timeline

Oh that was just an anticipatory/estimated date so that the website would give me further estimates on my timeline :)

USCIS

NVC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.