Mirela764

K-1 Fiance(e) help

17 posts in this topic

This is my first time posting about filing the K-1 application.

I met my fiancee' online in 2013 and after our connection sparked, I had flown out to meet him in July of 2014. We had became more fond of each other and by the time November came he had proposed to me and I had gone to see him in Montenegro again in December. He has applied for the B1/B2 (tourist) visa by himself but he had gotten denied multiple times due to him being in the US before and had left after 5 months to go back home. We are hoping that with this F-1 visa he will be able to come to the US.

In the States I work in retail so I don't make as much money as other people and I am also in college. This was the first year I had filled taxes due to me being unemployed.

I was wondering if it was a good idea to get a lawyer to help us with this process or would it be a waste of money? We wanted to hear what other people have done in the past that have gotten their loved ones to the states. I hope that the denial with the tourist visa will not effect the fiancee visa. If you guys could give your advice on what we should do that would be much appreciated.

Thank You!

I met my fiancee' online in 2013 and after our connection sparked, I had flown out to meet him in July of 2014. We had became more fond of each other and by the time November came he had proposed to me and I had gone to see him in Montenegro again in December. He has applied for the B1/B2 (tourist) visa by himself but he had gotten denied multiple times due to him being in the US before and had left after 5 months to go back home. We are hoping that with this F-1 visa he will be able to come to the US.

In the States I work in retail so I don't make as much money as other people and I am also in college. This was the first year I had filled taxes due to me being unemployed.

I was wondering if it was a good idea to get a lawyer to help us with this process or would it be a waste of money? We wanted to hear what other people have done in the past that have gotten their loved ones to the states. I hope that the denial with the tourist visa will not effect the fiancee visa. If you guys could give your advice on what we should do that would be much appreciated.

Thank You!

Hi, you say you are applying for a K-1 visa. This is not the same as an F-1 visa. So which do you want to apply for?

If you are applying for a K-1, I'd encourage you to check out the guides on this site, they are really helpful in telling you what you need to do to file.

You'll find most people here don't use lawyers and have no use for one. Filing for a fiancé visa is fairly straightforward, as long as you read everything carefully, fill out the forms carefully, make sure you send everything that is requested, and that you have good evidence to supply.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

This is a DIY site, so most people have done it themselves (with the help of this site). Unless you have difficult circumstances (overstays/waivers/etc), they won't be much help. Read carefully and quadruple check everything and you should be fine. Especially if finances are an issue, a lawyer will just be a drain when you have some hefty immigration fees ahead of you.

K1 Visa Process AOS Process

Mar 18 2013: I-129F mailed to CSC Nov 15 2013: I-485 with EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox

Sept 19 2013: Interview - Approved!! Jan 25 2014: EAD/AP Card Received

Oct 6 2013: POE - Chicago O'Hare June 2 2014: Permanent Resident Card Received!

Oct 27 2013: Wedding!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Lawyer-waste of money

waste of time

i paid several thousand for one

he asked me to get all the eveidence together for the RFE. i did and he mailed it in

I could have mailed it myself

I did pay a different attorney $300 to do the support agreement when NVC kept making me do it over and over

He filled out the exact same way as i did but with his name on it, they accepted it

Go Figure

but all in all

DIY

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

If you mean an F1 student visa, those are relatively easy to get as long as he can show the funds for the course and living expenses, which together is quite a lot of money as he would not be able to work while here!

For the K1 fiance visa, how much are you making now? As long as you have a stable job and make over the 125% poverty line, you should be fine. Otherwise, at a minimum you will need a co-sponsor. Check out our Guide here: http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

Agree with the others that a lawyer is not generally needed, and can slow things down.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

I met my fiancee' online in 2013 and after our connection sparked, I had flown out to meet him in July of 2014. We had became more fond of each other and by the time November came he had proposed to me and I had gone to see him in Montenegro again in December. He has applied for the B1/B2 (tourist) visa by himself but he had gotten denied multiple times due to him being in the US before and had left after 5 months to go back home. We are hoping that with this K-1 visa he will be able to come to the US.

Thank You!

This is the edited version. I meant K-1 not F-1

Hi, you say you are applying for a K-1 visa. This is not the same as an F-1 visa. So which do you want to apply for?

If you are applying for a K-1, I'd encourage you to check out the guides on this site, they are really helpful in telling you what you need to do to file.

You'll find most people here don't use lawyers and have no use for one. Filing for a fiancé visa is fairly straightforward, as long as you read everything carefully, fill out the forms carefully, make sure you send everything that is requested, and that you have good evidence to supply.

This is a DIY site, so most people have done it themselves (with the help of this site). Unless you have difficult circumstances (overstays/waivers/etc), they won't be much help. Read carefully and quadruple check everything and you should be fine. Especially if finances are an issue, a lawyer will just be a drain when you have some hefty immigration fees ahead of you.

If you mean an F1 student visa, those are relatively easy to get as long as he can show the funds for the course and living expenses, which together is quite a lot of money as he would not be able to work while here!

For the K1 fiance visa, how much are you making now? As long as you have a stable job and make over the 125% poverty line, you should be fine. Otherwise, at a minimum you will need a co-sponsor. Check out our Guide here: http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

Agree with the others that a lawyer is not generally needed, and can slow things down.

I meant K-1 everyone. I make $10 an hour so will I need a co-sponsor?

Edited by Mirela764

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

If you make $10/ hour and work full time then you make 10x40x52= $20800.

That is just over the 125% poverty line for a two person houehold: http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864p.pdf so you should be ok, but if you can show some savings or maybe get a raise by the time the interview comes around (which will take 6+ months), it would help.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mauritius
Timeline

I hired a lawyer cause we thought our case was complicated but it was such a waste of money. Follow the guides here and you will be good.

The lawyer filled out some of the forms for me but with lots of typos that I had to fix and now he won't respond to my emails. So I wasted $900 :wacko:

Good luck!

9/01/13- Met online 7/10/15- NVC case # assigned **22 days from NOA2**

11/9/13- Met 1st time in person (L) 7/27/15- Case left NVC to South Africa!!!

2/01/14- Met 2nd time in person (L) 7/28/15- Case "ready"

9/01/14- Met 3rd time in person (L) 7/31/15- Consulate received

5/11/15- Mailed I-129F 8/4/15- Packet 3 received by email

5/19/15- NOA1--- Got routed to CSC!!! :dancing: 8/7/15- Sent Packet 3

5/22/15- File "touched" 8/7/15- Packet 4 received by email!

5/27/15- Our baby was born (L) 9/7- 9/8- Medical

6/18/15- NOA2!!!! Email notification at 21:30 Central Time **30 days from NOA1** 9/17/15- Interview!!! APPROVED :luv:

9/28/15- Visa in hand

9/29/15- US Entry---- Finally!!

I hired a lawyer cause we thought our case was complicated but it was such a waste of money. Follow the guides here and you will be good.

The lawyer filled out some of the forms for me but with lots of typos that I had to fix and now he won't respond to my emails. So I wasted $900 :wacko:

Good luck!

Thank you for the tip! Do you know how much the whole process costs without the lawyer?

Thank you for the tip! Do you know how much the whole process costs without the lawyer?

$340 filing fee for the initial application.

Rest of the costs will be incurred by the foreign fiancé, such as paying for the visa, paying for medical and or vaccinations, paying for any police certificate they need.

Once here in the US, to adjust status will be the larger filing fee of $1070.

Edited by yuna628

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

If you make $10/ hour and work full time then you make 10x40x52= $20800.

That is just over the 125% poverty line for a two person houehold: http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864p.pdf so you should be ok, but if you can show some savings or maybe get a raise by the time the interview comes around (which will take 6+ months), it would help.

I'm actually working part-time not full-time so I work about 20 hrs a week

Edited by Mirela764

$340 filing fee for the initial application.

Rest of the costs will be incurred by the foreign fiancé, such as paying for the visa, paying for medical and or vaccinations, paying for any police certificate they need.

Once here in the US, to adjust status will be the larger filing fee of $1070.

Ok thank you so much for the information!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Right now our expected estimate is around $1.300 including everything (this is just up until getting the VISA in hand) but we also had to hire a translator for some documents.

Our Visa Journey (L) (See our Immigration timeline for a very detailed K-1 and AOS process)

08/17/2015 - I-129F petition/packet sent off
12/17/2015 - Visa Interview in Sweden. We're APPROVED!!!
01/14/2016 - P.O.E. @ Newark International Airport
03/21/2016 - Got married @ town hall
03/22/2016 - AOS, EAD, AP packet sent off
08/03/2016 - Became a Conditional Permanent Resident
05/07/2018 - ROC packet sent off

06/12/2019 - ROC approved (no RFE, no transfer, no interview)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.