IcezMan_IcezLady

Getting married in Ghana

13 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

My fiance and I are getting ready to marry soon in Ghana. I understand the church issues marriage certificates and has it's own traditions for wedding ceremonies.

My question is do we have to go go to marriage registry to register this marriage and obtain another certificate in addition to the church's own?

I guess what I am trying to find out is, do we need the two or the church's certificate is good?

FYI, it is important we get the correct document for CR-1 purpose.

Thank you!

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

Timeline

The church marriage certificate is valid enough to process your cr-1 petition. No need to visit marriage registry nor need another marriage certificate from anywhere. Marriage certificates are only issued in church or at the district registry office.

Yes most couples in Ghana do the traditional marriage ceremony before either church or court to get the certificate. The embassy defines both as being married either traditional or church/court proceedings but the difference is the traditional marriage has no certificate to give as it is mainly the two families and friends. Therefore the embassy/USCIS view the certificate from church/court as the validation to the marriage. Going through the traditional marriage supports your case in many ways as you get to meet friends and take pictures for interview.

Follow the Ghanaian forum for more info and read about stories others have shared.

God bless and good luck :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Timeline

With this Emabssy make sure, because this is a tough embassy and they could say your marriage isn't valid so I would get both just in case, this Emabssy has become the worst one to be interviewed at!

Timeline

Thank you, guys...My fiance has checked with the Reverend and looks like we are good with the church certificate.

Anyone going to Ghana soon?

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

Timeline

Thank you, guys...My fiance has checked with the Reverend and looks like we are good with the church certificate.

Anyone going to Ghana soon?

How soon are you talking about, I will go in December if he's not here

Timeline

How soon are you talking about, I will go in December if he's not here

October...

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Timeline

With this Emabssy make sure, because this is a tough embassy and they could say your marriage isn't valid so I would get both just in case, this Emabssy has become the worst one to be interviewed at!

I agree it's the worst. This CO with initials KM has become somewhat of a god there and she's just deniying ppl by the minute,and yet Ghanainans in authority (Ministry Of Foreign Affairs) cannot do nothing to about or aren't doing something, I'm also on Administrative Processing since my second interview on March.19th. I suggest we have once voice and write to the various Ministries and Ambassadors,Don't give up !!

Timeline

I agree it's the worst. This CO with initials KM has become somewhat of a god there and she's just deniying ppl by the minute,and yet Ghanainans in authority (Ministry Of Foreign Affairs) cannot do nothing to about or aren't doing something, I'm also on Administrative Processing since my second interview on March.19th. I suggest we have once voice and write to the various Ministries and Ambassadors,Don't give up !!

The Ambassador has no authority over the embassy's operation.

If everyone that went there has reported or complained to https://oig.state.gov/foia ,something would have been done. As for KM, i don't know whether is that heartless or she is just a guinea pig for the embassy. Like when they know they won't approve anymore visas but makeup stupid excuses to justify that decision while ripping us off.

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Timeline

The Ambassador has no authority over the embassy's operation.

If everyone that went there has reported or complained to https://oig.state.gov/foia ,something would have been done. As for KM, i don't know whether is that heartless or she is just a guinea pig for the embassy. Like when they know they won't approve anymore visas but makeup stupid excuses to justify that decision while ripping us off.

Hi thanks for that piece of information. And yes i'm willing to do whatever it takes to get rid of that KM CO bcos clearly she's got a problem with us ghanaians. I went on the link but can't find where to mail my complains,can you help me with that? Thanks ans best of luck to you.

Timeline

Hi thanks for that piece of information. And yes i'm willing to do whatever it takes to get rid of that KM CO bcos clearly she's got a problem with us ghanaians. I went on the link but can't find where to mail my complains,can you help me with that? Thanks ans best of luck to you.

Sorry for the other link...

This is the actual form for filing a complaint. Good luck!

https://oig.state.gov/hotline-form

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.