5 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi,

I have some questions about completing the AOS requirement.

My husband recently lost his job that should have made him meet the poverty guidelines minimum requirement. Now, he has a new job but his income is not enough to meet the minimum requirement, so we are using his household member's incomes (parent and sisters living with him) to be able to meet the minimum requirement.

His household member's tax information (when summed up with my husband's tax info) still doesnt meet the minimum requirement because these are their old jobs and there were months when his mom and dad were unemployed, however, their current income (as stated in their letter of employment and pay stubs from their current job) meets the minimum requirement when i computed it. But i know nvc makes computation and does not just look at the total annual current income to say that it's met the requirement. I think they still put deductions and all because of tax deductions.

1. What does nvc look at to say that we've met the poverty guidelines?

2. If the tax returns contains tax info about the old jobs, will they still use it as basis for the minimum requirement, Or are they going to look at the current income to check if we're meeting the minimum requirement?

3. Their tax return form says form 1040, where do i look to get the amount that i need to put in form i-864?

4. There is a line that says "total income"

and a line that says "adjusted gross income". Which of the two should i put?

Thank you very much!!!!

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi,

My husband recently lost his job that should have made him meet the poverty guidelines minimum requirement. Now, he has a new job but his income is not enough to meet the minimum requirement, so we are using his household member's incomes (parent and sisters living with him) to be able to meet the minimum requirement.

His household member's tax information (when summed up with my husband's tax info) still doesnt meet the minimum requirement because these are their old jobs and there were months when his mom and dad were unemployed, however, their current income (as stated in their letter of employment and pay stubs from their current job) meets the minimum requirement when i computed it. But i know nvc makes computation and does not just look at the total annual current income to say that it's met the requirement. I think they still put deductions and all because of tax deductions.

2. If the tax returns contains tax info about the old jobs, will they still use it as basis for the minimum requirement, Or are they going to look at the current income to check if we're meeting the minimum requirement?

3. Their tax return form says form 1040, where do i look to get the amount that i need to put in form i-864?

Thank you very much!!!!

Refer to I864P because that is how NVC calculate poverty limit. My best sugestion if everone fall short on sponsoring immigrant then file multiple I864A for parents, sisters each. This way see if combine household income is more than poverty guideline. http://www.uscis.gov/i-864p

11/27/2013 - Priority Date

04/01/2015 - I-130 Approved

04/21/2015 - NVC received Case

04/29/2015 - DS261 filled

05/02/2015 - Case under CSPA review

06/04/2015 - Supervisor review Initiated-Wait 42 days

Hi,

Thank you very much!!!

What they use to determine if you meet the poverty lines is your current income given by you and proven by pay stub and/or employment letter and it is the calculation before taxes. It is fine if they did not make the poverty line last year. You should use the adjusted gross income to write the amount they made in past years according to tax returns.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thank you so much for your reply.

In the i-864 form, there is a part to put the tax income amount, that is for the petitioner/sponsor only, right?

And do i also need to submit copies of the irs tax transcripts of each of the household members helping to meet the income?

Also, is the irs tax transcripts enough or do we still need to give copies of the w2 forms (along with the letter of employment and pay stubs)?

And also, do they need the orginal copies of the tax transcripts or just photocopies?

Thanks thanks thanks a lot!!! Appreciate all your help

Thank you so much for your reply.

In the i-864 form, there is a part to put the tax income amount, that is for the petitioner/sponsor only, right?

And do i also need to submit copies of the irs tax transcripts of each of the household members helping to meet the income?

Also, is the irs tax transcripts enough or do we still need to give copies of the w2 forms (along with the letter of employment and pay stubs)?

And also, do they need the orginal copies of the tax transcripts or just photocopies?

Thanks thanks thanks a lot!!! Appreciate all your help

Yes, the tax income amount is for the petitioner.

If you are using their income then yes you need the tax transcript of the latest year at least.

The tax transcripts are enough.

The tax transcripts can be downloaded through the IRS website, so there really isn't an original.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.