jens_prodigy

Advice for sister denied US entry yesterday

25 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Agree not an issue.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

she should go to the US Embassy and ask how to get this cleared from her record and what she should do. They should be able to advise her what to do to clear it so she can enter the us without issues. She should also ask the Australian Embassy/ Passport service to help her to clear this flag from her record. good luck

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

she should go to the US Embassy and ask how to get this cleared from her record and what she should do. They should be able to advise her what to do to clear it so she can enter the us without issues. She should also ask the Australian Embassy/ Passport service to help her to clear this flag from her record. good luck

Flags do not get cleared nor do overstays. I believe that canadianwife on this forum mentioned being questioned about flags even after getting a greencard.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

True! 7 years after being denied entry and having my green card I was recently pulled into Secondary inspection and questioned about my denial.

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

hi everybody…talking about that…i have a overstayed of 3 years and i want to go to europe next week with my advance parole…anyone has experienced to use advance parole after a overstay?

thank you

please refer to your own split topic for further advice

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/557737-ok-to-use-ap-considering-3-year-overstay-split-topic/

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Timeline

Hi everyone, hoping I can get some advice for my devastated sister.

Yesterday, she was denied entry to the U.S.. She was coming, with her boyfriend, to spend a week on vacation.(they're both mid-twenties) It would be her boyfriend's first ever time in the U.S. and they were both so excited, they'd planned for months and saved all their money to come.They planned to stay with me (I'm a legal permanent resident) for the entire trip.

After she was pulled into secondary, the officers explained that she had an overstay on her record (30days) and that they were denying her but her boyfriend could go if he wanted to. He didn't want to leave her but she basically forced him to come so that he could still TRY to enjoy the vacation that they both planned for and so at least some of their money would not go to waste. But she is DEVASTATED and is wondering if she should try to apply for a tourist visa tomorrow and maybe, if she's approved she can try to catch some of the last days of the vacation with him.

Some background:

My sister was in college in the US a few years ago but in her sophomore year, our family experienced some financial difficulties after my father died and we could no longer pay her tuition so the school let her go. It so happened that during that same time my other sister was about to give birth in a few weeks (here in atlanta) so when my sister (the sister in question) decided to stay here until the baby was born and then go home. She ended up overstaying for thirty days.

It's been two years since the overstay and all this time my sister has been home (in the Bahamas), working and applying for scholarships in order to get back into school. Last year, she decided to apply for a tourist visa in order to attend our brother's football game (he plays college football) . She was denied the visa not because of the overstay but because they said, due to her age, and the fact that she lived with my mom, she didn't have enough ties to her home country so she couldn't go. Then, earlier this year, that same brother (who is her twin by the way) was graduating and she really wanted to come so she decided that since she was denied the visa months before, she would just try to travel on her police record (Bahamains don't really need visas, we can travel on a clean police record in most cases). When she got to the border, there were NO problems, no talk of her overstay nothing, she was allowed to come through. She was able to attend the graduation and stayed for a little over a week before returning home.

So, it's months later and after having that positive experience at the border she was feeling great and thinking that she could travel with her boyfriend and enjoy a vacation together but this time she was stopped at the border. The officers told her that the last time she travelled, whoever processed her just didn't catch it and that's why she was allowed through. They told her she was no longer able to travel on her police record but try to get a visa before travelling next time. So like I said, she's devastated, her boyfriend is now here with me but he can't enjoy himself because he's devastated and I am devastated.

My question is, is it advisable for her to try again at the visa office? She has a job (although it is for my family's company), she has a bank account, she does live with my mom though so she owns no property (I mean she's 23!) Most of her family is in the Bahamas except for me and our brother who is about to start grad school. She is a good person and only wanted a week with her boyfriend since they are both on vacation. She begged and pleaded with the officers, showed them her itinerary...all that.

What can she do to show further ties to the Bahamas? Should she even try for the visa? What are her options? Does it look bad that she just tried to enter the US yesterday and is now applying for a visa so soon? Or that she just applied for a visa last year and was denied?

Any help would be appreciated.

Bahamians usually don't get a hard time to come to the US because in the past they all went home unlike many from Caribbean islands,

however that has been changing in recent yrs. She can apply again, but not only is her over-stay against her but giving birth in ATL If medica;

bills are outstanding she should pay it.

Since Bahamians clear US CBP at home maybe she could try again, it will be up to the officer that day, if asked about any refusals she must

be honest about it...CBP got the power to allowed or deny entry....Was she leaving from New Providence?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

hi everybody…talking about that…i have a overstayed of 3 years and i want to go to europe next week with my advance parole…anyone has experienced to use advance parole after a overstay?

thank you

you need to start your own thread, do not hijack someone else's please

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Bahamians usually don't get a hard time to come to the US because in the past they all went home unlike many from Caribbean islands,

however that has been changing in recent yrs. She can apply again, but not only is her over-stay against her but giving birth in ATL If medica;

bills are outstanding she should pay it.

Since Bahamians clear US CBP at home maybe she could try again, it will be up to the officer that day, if asked about any refusals she must

be honest about it...CBP got the power to allowed or deny entry....Was she leaving from New Providence?

The sister in question wasn't the one that had the baby- it was Sister1 that had the baby and Sister2 in question stayed until after Sister1's baby was born.

Edited by FN&KO

Our Journey:
04/19/2014- Met online
10/2014- Visited Nigeria and he proposed!!!! 
02/28/2015- Sent I-129F petition
03/05/2015- NOA1
09/2015- Visited Nigeria again!!!
10/28/2015- NOA2 (237 day wait at TSC)
11/13/2015- Sent to NVC
11/27/2015- Arrived at Embassy
06/2016- Third visit to Nigeria!
06/15/2016- Interview, given option to file I-601 waiver.
08/16/2016- Waiver submitted (no lawyer).
11/21/2016- Waiver approved with expedite.
01/2017- Embassy requested interview. 
04/2017- Fourth visit to Nigeria.  K1 officially denied. 
04/25/2017- NOA1 for 2nd K1.
07/27/2017- Case transferred to TSC.
11/17/2017- Case transferred back to CSC.
01/16/2018- NOA2!! (266 day wait)
03/08/2018- Interview (AP)
05/03/2018- VISA APPROVAL!!!
05/14/2018- Visa issued
05/18/2018- Visa picked up
05/25/2018- HE'S HOME!!! 💙💙💙

God has given me a great knowledgebase through research and other members here on VJ.  Please do not hesitate to reach out if I can be of any assistance to you! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I would do as the Officer who would not admit you, said, "apply for a visa" as it cannot hurt, and you are taking his advice.

Good luck, maybe you will get it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.