Debmm

K1 Visa South Africa filers 2015

41 posts in this topic

I have searched for a similar group but have not managed to find one for 2015. If there is one apologies for the duplicate. I was just wondering if there are other South Africans currently under going the process so we can share our experiences from filing, to police clearance, birth certificates and so forth.

Looking forward to hearing from you :)

ROC

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Process & Procedures to Progress Reports.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

There are a few people that have gone through the process recently. You can do the search function and find some people.

We did DCF. If you have any questions just shout! I am try and answer!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mauritius
Timeline

Hi!

My fiancee is from Mauritius but he has to go to South Africa for the medical and interview since the US embassy in Mauritius doesn't handle K1 visas :(

Hopefully this month or next he will go for the medical/interview :)

9/01/13- Met online 7/10/15- NVC case # assigned **22 days from NOA2**

11/9/13- Met 1st time in person (L) 7/27/15- Case left NVC to South Africa!!!

2/01/14- Met 2nd time in person (L) 7/28/15- Case "ready"

9/01/14- Met 3rd time in person (L) 7/31/15- Consulate received

5/11/15- Mailed I-129F 8/4/15- Packet 3 received by email

5/19/15- NOA1--- Got routed to CSC!!! :dancing: 8/7/15- Sent Packet 3

5/22/15- File "touched" 8/7/15- Packet 4 received by email!

5/27/15- Our baby was born (L) 9/7- 9/8- Medical

6/18/15- NOA2!!!! Email notification at 21:30 Central Time **30 days from NOA1** 9/17/15- Interview!!! APPROVED :luv:

9/28/15- Visa in hand

9/29/15- US Entry---- Finally!!

There are a few people that have gone through the process recently. You can do the search function and find some people.

We did DCF. If you have any questions just shout! I am try and answer!

Yes i have done a lot of searching, i just thought there might be some people in the same step in the process as me as people are at different stages of the application.

My biggest question is when to apply for my police clearance as i'm not too sure how long it will take. i don't want to receive it too soon that it expires before my interview or too late that i have reschedule my interview. The same goes for my korean one as i lived in korea for 3 years. I applied for my birth certificate mid july, apparently that takes about 3 months. It's tough working with some many different timelines and trying to coordinate them.

ROC

Hi!

My fiancee is from Mauritius but he has to go to South Africa for the medical and interview since the US embassy in Mauritius doesn't handle K1 visas :(

Hopefully this month or next he will go for the medical/interview :)

Good luck. I was complaining that i had to go to Johannesburg (I live in Cape Town), but then i saw how many people have to travel from a different country to get to the embassy and/or for their medical.

ROC

Yes i have done a lot of searching, i just thought there might be some people in the same step in the process as me as people are at different stages of the application.

My biggest question is when to apply for my police clearance as i'm not too sure how long it will take. i don't want to receive it too soon that it expires before my interview or too late that i have reschedule my interview. The same goes for my korean one as i lived in korea for 3 years. I applied for my birth certificate mid july, apparently that takes about 3 months. It's tough working with some many different timelines and trying to coordinate them.

That's really tough to say. It seems that backlog has maybe cleared a little bit with the PCC. It took a VERY long time for us to receive ours. I am talking about months. Other people received theirs faster.

It looks like it is taking 6 weeks. But it could take a lot longer. I apply as soon as you schedule your medical.

Another thing I was told that the PCC was good for 6 months, but someone else said they got confirmation it was 12 months. If you can get e-mail confirmation that it is good for 12 months then you could start applying for it.

Did you apply through Home Affairs for your Birth Certificate?

That's really tough to say. It seems that backlog has maybe cleared a little bit with the PCC. It took a VERY long time for us to receive ours. I am talking about months. Other people received theirs faster.

It looks like it is taking 6 weeks. But it could take a lot longer. I apply as soon as you schedule your medical.

Another thing I was told that the PCC was good for 6 months, but someone else said they got confirmation it was 12 months. If you can get e-mail confirmation that it is good for 12 months then you could start applying for it.

Did you apply through Home Affairs for your Birth Certificate?

Ok thanks. I asked them at the police station and they said it was valid for 6 months :(

Yes i applied through Home Affairs, is this a bad thing? I thought that if it takes 3 months it should all line up pretty well. However it may take longer.

How about you?

ROC

Ok thanks. I asked them at the police station and they said it was valid for 6 months :(

Yes i applied through Home Affairs, is this a bad thing? I thought that if it takes 3 months it should all line up pretty well. However it may take longer.

How about you?

Hi,

I would contact the US Consulate and ask them. They really are the ones that would say how long it's valid for. I was told 6 months.

Home Affairs is taking forever for Birth Certificates. It took us almost a year.

You might get lucky and it might arrive faster, but it could take a long time.

If you are needing it sooner then I would look at using a service.

Bunnyhop or DocAssist

Hi,

I would contact the US Consulate and ask them. They really are the ones that would say how long it's valid for. I was told 6 months.

Home Affairs is taking forever for Birth Certificates. It took us almost a year.

You might get lucky and it might arrive faster, but it could take a long time.

If you are needing it sooner then I would look at using a service.

Bunnyhop or DocAssist

Thanks, i guess it depends on when i get my NOA2 whether or not i'll use Bunnyhop or DocAssist. It's good to know there is a backup and that we're not totally at the mercy of home affairs.

ROC

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

Me and my Fiance used Doc Assist and we got the BC in 2-2.5 weeks. We have been pretty lucky so far and have our interview Sept 15th. Was supposed to be on Sept 22, but we emailed them and asked for a quicker date and they came back with the 15th. Now its just a waiting game!

Me and my Fiance used Doc Assist and we got the BC in 2-2.5 weeks. We have been pretty lucky so far and have our interview Sept 15th. Was supposed to be on Sept 22, but we emailed them and asked for a quicker date and they came back with the 15th. Now its just a waiting game!

Wow! That's really quick! Perhaps i should have done that. I'm still waiting for the NOA2 so hopefully i won't need to use them. But it's good to know there is a back up if all else fails.

ROC

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

Yeah it took a lot of time off the wait! looks like you're not too far behind us, let us know if you have any questions, we would be happy to help!

Yeah it took a lot of time off the wait! looks like you're not too far behind us, let us know if you have any questions, we would be happy to help!

Yeah thanks very much, i'm sure i will have loads more questions, lol. Good luck with your interview you must be so excited, it's like you can finally see the finish line :D

ROC

• 2 weeks later...

I just got an sms from Home Affairs, my unabridged birth certificate is ready for collection!!!!! It took 5 weeks :D

Just wish we could get our NOA2 soon.

Edited by Debmm

ROC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.