bettertulip

i am thinking i got scammed by one agency who live in Los Angeles

42 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Wrong in what sense?

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

@boiler do you reason for a sponsor? Being a sponsor and filling out the affidavit of support is legal binding document with the U.S. Government that you are financially responsible for an immigrant . Now who is their right mind would do that for someone they don't know?

Edited by mistyblues

Timeline

somebody who was paid to do so?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Again, I am not aware of any law or regulation that prevents this. Link please.

As to who would do that, well someone who needed cash on hand at the time.

Edited by belinda63

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

No law I have ever seen. A joint sponsor can be anyone that meets the requirement and is willing to do so. For some, I suppose being paid makes them willing.

This is most likely one reason some consulates are more willing to accept co-sponsors from close family members.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Candidly, I think he's fine legally. He's expensive and his language skills are horrible, but that's not against the law.

• He didn't claim to be an attorney or offer any type of legal representation. http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=bpc&group=06001-07000&file=6125-6133
  • Google his phone number and it returns to Fair Price Immigration Service at

3327 San Gabriel Blvd. #D, Rosemead, California.

91770, which is a valid street address. This strip of commercial area is full of businesses like this.

• All he has promised to do is provide a co-sponsor, with no limitation on how long it might take him. He might still be working on it 3 years from now.

• Co-sponsorship is legal and fairly common. There is no law that bars someone from helping you to find a co-sponsor. http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

• This "contract" says, "I will find you a co-sponsor for $2800. If things don't work out, we will solve problems through negotiation."

• He's certainly not committing a crime and I don't think you'd even win a small-claims award unless you first tried and failed to "solve problems through negotiation."

• I don't see any evidence of fraud or deception on his part, unless you know something more than what you've told us.
  • I recommend you start trying to "solve problems through negotiation."

Timeline

Im confused. Is it even legal to hire someone to be a sponsor, I'm assuming this is to cover 125% poverty requirement for K1?

Why not?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I'm not sure Altair17, but that's not what happened here. This guy was hired to help find a co-sponsor.

I spent the afternoon searching for information, but I couldn't find anything to suggest it is unlawful for one person to receive a fee in order to help another person find a co-sponsor.

Maybe he'll find a "Good Samaritan" volunteer.

If finding a co-sponsor (for a fee) is unlawful, then the guy who hired him to do it probably has some legal problems too.

I'm not an expert, of course; just voicing an amateur-forum-commenter opinion.

Timeline

Find or be no difference.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.