TMDM

Selective Service registration - 26 years old

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Here's the basic deal: Non-immigrant = don't have to register. Immigrant (i.e. green card) = have to register. I think your question, though, is during the time when you were adjusting status but had not yet become a green card recipient, did you have to register? I've read on this in the past and if I had to bet my life on it I would say no, because I don't think you're an official immigrant until the green card is approved, though possibly there are guidelines elsewhere that say what the adjusting status interim is defined as.

According to immigrantion law, an immigrant is anyone who is not a non-immigrant, and non-immigrant is someone who falls under one of a list of non-immigrant statuses. According to your definition, "illegal immigrants" wouldn't be "immigrants".

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline
Here's the basic deal: Non-immigrant = don't have to register. Immigrant (i.e. green card) = have to register. I think your question, though, is during the time when you were adjusting status but had not yet become a green card recipient, did you have to register? I've read on this in the past and if I had to bet my life on it I would say no, because I don't think you're an official immigrant until the green card is approved, though possibly there are guidelines elsewhere that say what the adjusting status interim is defined as.

According to immigrantion law, an immigrant is anyone who is not a non-immigrant, and non-immigrant is someone who falls under one of a list of non-immigrant statuses. According to your definition, "illegal immigrants" wouldn't be "immigrants".

Yeah, illegal aliens do also have to register :)

https://www.sss.gov/Registration-Info/Who-Registration

Good luck!

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

I googled a bunch. This is 10 years old, but:

http://www.laborlawtalk.com/showthread.php?t=76335

I emailed the Selective Service for more information pertaining to my

situation and I got a reply back stating the following:

"If there is a lapse of 30 days between the time your J-1 VISA status
expires and when you turn 26 years old and you are still residing in the
United States, you are required to register with Selective Service
System. It will be to your advantage to register with Selective Service
if this will be your case. A man must be registered to stay eligible for
student loans and grants for college, most Federal employment, all
background security clearances, many state jobs, job training under the
Workforce Investment Act, and citizenship (if he is not yet a U.S.
citizen)."

If true, the reading of the rules are basically not "Here are the people who need to register", but rather "you must register unless", and that would mean that you must register unless you are in one of the specific categories you mustn't; basically, if the visa has expired--as it would during adjustment--then you would be included in a group who should register.

I still maintain the OP is not going to be in a huge world of hurt because of this, though. It is not the end of the world, and is somewhat common without holding the catastrophe other immigration mistakes can such as falsely claiming citizenship.

Edited by ExPatty

Good luck!

I wondered the same thing myself.

OP, you should obtain a status information letter from the SSS which will clarify whether you have been registered, but it would seem that you haven't.

As I said above, I believe you were likely required to register since your nonimmigrant status expired prior to your 26th birthday, and your green card was approved after your 26th birthday.

Worst case scenario: you may need to wait until you turn 31 before you can apply for citizenship under the five year rule (or 29 under the three year rule).

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Right, but USCIS will usually consider it a failure of the "good conduct" check to be required to register for SSS but fail to do so. This can be overcome with a preponderance of evidence attesting to that. I recall a few months ago someone here overcame a failure to register for SSS by showing he did a lot of volunteer charity work, obtained letters from friends, family, and I think his pastor; stuff like that. In the end it worked, and he successfully naturalised before 29/31 despite not registering for SSS.

While it happens, it doesn't happen often. The average person would have to wait until they were 29/31 if they were required to register for SSS but failed to do so.

AoS

77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview

Naturalisation

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Some schools, register children automatically, just check the website given above, if not since you are over the age there's nothing to worry about.

You have past the age to register, there's nothing

You have past the age to register, there's nothing

Edited by Beginning777

Filed: Timeline

Right, but USCIS will usually consider it a failure of the "good conduct" check to be required to register for SSS but fail to do so. This can be overcome with a preponderance of evidence attesting to that. I recall a few months ago someone here overcame a failure to register for SSS by showing he did a lot of volunteer charity work, obtained letters from friends, family, and I think his pastor; stuff like that. In the end it worked, and he successfully naturalised before 29/31 despite not registering for SSS.

While it happens, it doesn't happen often. The average person would have to wait until they were 29/31 if they were required to register for SSS but failed to do so.

How is it a "failure to do" so if USCIS promised to register him and didn't?

Because it's his obligation to register, not USCIS' to do it for him.

AoS

77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview

Naturalisation

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Thanks all for your informative responses! it is very interesting to see the multitude of different answers and variations with regards to this matter. I have spoken with my Lawyer who has advised me, apply now for SSS and await the denial letter. At which point this can be presented come nearer the time along with additional evidence to show good character. This coupled with the statement on the signed i485 about it being registered for me and the two officers that i spoke with at USCIS that have confirmed I didn't have to register as i'm not considered an immigrant until i was approved my petition and this happened after my 26th birthday, should atleast go somewhat towards helping my case. In hindsight, i'd have definitely registered. But was un aware that I infact needed to given the statement on the USCIS i485 form and my immigration status during my AOS.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.