58 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Serbia
Timeline

To answer your question:

1. Women do receive Xrays all the time in the United States

2. Almost all facilities will use a lead-jacket. This lead apron is laid over the stomach area to protect your unborn child

( Lead completely blocks xrays, just for your information )

3. Even without a lead apron, your child likely would not have any severe issues from it. Like you may already know though: xray is a form of radiation. And the more exposure to radiation that anyone has = higher risk of health related disease.

I would also like to quote one of the sources below:

MSV = millisievert ( the measurement of a radiation dose )

Xray = typically around 5MsV

Computer tomography scans = about 10-12MsV

The average amount of MsV exposure from breathing air over the course of 1 year: 2.28MsV

SOURCES:

* Types of Background radiation we are exposed to: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Background_radiation

* I'm also a nurse.

*An official medical source: "Guidelines for diagnostic imaging during pregnancy"

http://www.acog.org/Resources-And-Publications/Committee-Opinions/Committee-on-Obstetric-Practice/Guidelines-for-Diagnostic-Imaging-During-Pregnancy

I don't understand how only in america x-rays are safe for unborn baby, but in any another country pregnant woman do not do x-rays.

Timeline

Wrong. Pregnant women can do X-rays in many other countries.

In many yes but not in the most, but if is safe why don't pregnat woman do x-rays in all countries in the world?

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

In many yes but not in the most, but if is safe why don't pregnat woman do x-rays in all countries in the world?

Do you have statistics to back that it's not deemed safe in most? Different countries have different regulations. It could be as simple a reason as the sensitivity or sophistication of the X-ray equipment. That being said, in the western world it's not socially acceptable to drink alcohol during pregnancy wheras in shown European countries it's ok

Edited by Transborderwife

Timeline

Do you have statistics to back that it's not deemed safe in most? Different countries have different regulations. It could be as simple a reason as the sensitivity or sophistication of the X-ray equipment. That being said, in the western world it's not socially acceptable to drink alcohol during pregnancy wheras in shown European countries it's ok

I don't think you can compare alchohol and radiation! And I never heard its okay anywhere in the world to drink alchohol during pregnnacy, but im sure a lot woman still do it. And yes maybe they have better equipment in America or that ''other'' countries but im not doing medical there and most of equipment in my country is very old and offten not working well so even proffesional who work on x-rays told me its not safe for baby. Here in any hospital they don't even let pregnant woman be close to the room where they doing x-rays.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

To answer your question:

1. Women do receive Xrays all the time in the United States

2. Almost all facilities will use a lead-jacket. This lead apron is laid over the stomach area to protect your unborn child

( Lead completely blocks xrays, just for your information )

3. Even without a lead apron, your child likely would not have any severe issues from it. Like you may already know though: xray is a form of radiation. And the more exposure to radiation that anyone has = higher risk of health related disease.

I would also like to quote one of the sources below:

MSV = millisievert ( the measurement of a radiation dose )

Xray = typically around 5MsV

Computer tomography scans = about 10-12MsV

The average amount of MsV exposure from breathing air over the course of 1 year: 2.28MsV

SOURCES:

* Types of Background radiation we are exposed to: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Background_radiation

* I'm also a nurse.

*An official medical source: "Guidelines for diagnostic imaging during pregnancy"

http://www.acog.org/Resources-And-Publications/Committee-Opinions/Committee-on-Obstetric-Practice/Guidelines-for-Diagnostic-Imaging-During-Pregnancy

I am an X-ray Technologist. This post is totally true and correct. I X-ray pregnant woman all the time. Just did a CT Scan on a pregnant woman yesterday. You can ask to be double shielded. (2 lead aprons to cover your abdomen). In a single PA view (and even if they do a second lateral view) the radiation won't even touch the baby.

The main concern about X-ray radiation during pregnancy is during the first trimester when the baby's organs are still developing or repeated X-rays. Your beyond that point now and one or two view chest ray is fairly lose dose radiation. You probably get more radiation standing by the microwave. If they allow you the option of not having the CXR then great but if not....Don't worry your baby will be fine!

Edited by LionessDeon

Timeline

I don't think you can compare alchohol and radiation! And I never heard its okay anywhere in the world to drink alchohol during pregnnacy, but im sure a lot woman still do it. And yes maybe they have better equipment in America or that ''other'' countries but im not doing medical there and most of equipment in my country is very old and offten not working well so even proffesional who work on x-rays told me its not safe for baby. Here in any hospital they don't even let pregnant woman be close to the room where they doing x-rays.

http://m.smh.com.au/national/health/40-per-cent-of-australian-mothers-drink-while-pregnant-study-20150707-gi7ehw.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/10125329/A-glass-of-wine-a-day-while-pregnant-will-not-harm-your-baby.html

But anyway, the point is you need to find out if it will result in refusal from your consulate overall

Timeline

I am an X-ray Technologist. This post is totally true and correct. I X-ray pregnant woman all the time. Just did a CT Scan on a pregnant woman yesterday. You can ask to be double shielded. (2 lead aprons to cover your abdomen). In a single PA view (and even if they do a second lateral view) the radiation won't even touch the baby.

The main concern about X-ray radiation during pregnancy is during the first trimester when the baby's organs are still developing or repeated X-rays. Your beyond that point now and one or two view chest ray is fairly lose dose radiation. You probably get more radiation stand by the microwave. If they allow you the option of not having the CXR then great but if not....Don't worry your baby will be fine!

So if i have double protection then radiation wont touch the baby?

Timeline

Yes so maybe i should call the embassy and ask.

I know that some woman drink or smoke while are pregnant but no doctor would recomend that.

Timeline

Yes so maybe i should call the embassy and ask.

I know that some woman drink or smoke while are pregnant but no doctor would recomend that.

Actually many doctors reccomend weaning off of smoking if heavily addicted and not necessarily going cold turkey. I've had many pregnant friends some who have quit, some who haven't whose doctors didn't say quit right away. Midwives are also known to reccomend a glass of wine to help relax and bring on labor.

Timeline

Maybe they need to update their education. Radiation can only travel a certain distance (6 feet). We have woman X-ray technologists who when they become pregnant still come to work everyday, take X-rays on patients, sit and work near X-ray rooms every single day. Guess what every one of their babies came out just fine and still are completely healthy. In the USA it is required that ALL rooms containing X-ray equipment have lead lined walls. (X-ray cannot penetrate lead and that is what is in the aprons). The X-rays do not escape these rooms, turn corners, or bend. Unless you are in the direct path of an X-ray beam within 6 feet you will NOT be touched by the radiation.

When you have some time Google radiation physics or X-ray beam pathways. I studied radiation biology, radiation physics, anatomy and physiology, and radiation dosing for 2 years. I am state licensed and ARRT registered.

Edited by LionessDeon

Timeline

Actually many doctors reccomend weaning off of smoking if heavily addicted and not necessarily going cold turkey. I've had many pregnant friends some who have quit, some who haven't whose doctors didn't say quit right away. Midwives are also known to reccomend a glass of wine to help relax and bring on labor.

That is weird.

Timeline

Maybe they need to update their education. Radiation can only travel a certain distance (6 feet). We have woman X-ray technologists who when they become pregnant still come to work everyday, take X-rays on patients, sit and work near X-ray rooms every single day. Guess what every one of their babies came out just fine and still are completely healthy. In the USA it is required that ALL rooms containing X-ray equipment have lead lined walls. (X-ray cannot penetrate lead and that is what is in the aprons). The X-rays do not escape these rooms, turn corners, or bend. Unless you are in the direct path of an X-ray beam within 6 feet you will NOT be touched by the radiation.

When you have some time Google radiation physics or X-ray beam pathways. I studied radiation biology, radiation physics, anatomy and physiology, and radiation dosing for 2 years. I am state licensed and ARRT registered.

Im sure everything is ok in America and their equipment is perfect but I can't say the same for my country. That makes me worried even more.

I had the medical done. Didn't do the xray. The doctor wrote down why I didn't have the xray done and that was it. It wasn't mentioned at the interview or poe or anywhere else for that matter.

That didn't work for us. In 2012 in Costa Rica we were given an equivalent of an RFE by our interviewing officer for my wife's visa. (And the officer was pregnant and "understood" our position)

We had 2 options. Deliver the baby in Costa Rica and then get the visa or to get the x rays.

I too did lots of research and found that it seems pretty harmless, seems like repeated xrays would be dangerous, but a one time shot of the chest area with protection didn't seem to be an issue. In fact, it seems as many women have xrays without knowning they are pregnant with no complications.

So, we got the xrays, got the visa and now have a happy healthy 2 year boy (born in the US).

Good luck

Timeline

Im sure everything is ok in America and their equipment is perfect but I can't say the same for my country. That makes me worried even more.

Well I wouldn't say we are perfect but X-ray beam pathways are X-ray beam pathways. No matter what kind of X-ray machine is used. The age of the equipment doesn't change that. I don't know the medical radiation requirements of your country. Either way if they insist you must have the X-ray as to be double shielded and try not to worry. I'm sure you and your baby will be just fine.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.