vajaster

How To Expedite NVC (Procedures/Steps)

73 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

They told us in our email back in May that it takes about 6-8 weeks from the time they receive the petition to the time we get the interview letter. The interview letter seems to be sent a month prior to the interview date. My friend; however, waited for the 8 weeks.

I think the "Plan Ahead" tool on http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english.htmlwas saying the average wait time was 43 days in Kabul, but now it's down to 18 days now. This is mostly for tourist visas, but I think it may help gauge how busy the embassy is.

K-1's don't have a case complete stage, so our status said "In Transit" before "Ready", and we started counting the day the status updated to "Ready". I would suggest watching your ceac.gov status really closely after you get the KBL# and after about 3 or 4 weeks in, send the embassy an email to ask. They may come back with something saying, "We don't have your file" or "Your file has not been reviewed", but don't worry - just send them another email two weeks later! :)

The plan ahead tool is usefull I never saw that before. I'd like to think that's the case but according to JKLM2010 the 18 days doesn't really sound too promising.

I know you're asking Amhara, but since we are in the same visa category and I am currently going through this ridiculous stage....

Our case was completed on July 2 and we are still waiting for an interview date...think about that.....this Thursday will complete 8 weeks that we are still waiting.

Thanks for chiming in ... wow really? You got a CC on 07/02/2015 and are still waiting for an interview date?

So if I'm not mistaken your case is currently at NVC right? They haven't shipped yet since you haven't received an interview date.

Gah!!!! This is ridiculous! To wait so long for USCIS than NVC to approve and after finally getting a CC at NVC have to wait 2 months for an interview?

I'm thinking of submitting an expedited request really.

I've already submitted DS-260 and have paid all fee's.

What do you guys think if I submit the expedited request? Do you think it will pull up any troubles for me during the interview they than have with my spouse?

Will my IV/AOS package be sent to the embassy? Will it be reviewed here in NVC or will the embassy review it?

But is that from the Kabul embassy's side or the NVC side? I have a friend I found on here who is waiting in Kenya, and she too has CC'd, but is still waiting. I think she's been waiting about the same time as you, jklm, and Kenya has a fast embassy.

What basically happens for immigrant visas is the embassy sends NVC a timetable of the available interview dates for the following month and NVC schedules them according to those dates and any other slots that become available throughout the month.

So Kabul is extremely busy because everybody is trying to get out of there right now.

The plan ahead tool is usefull I never saw that before. I'd like to think that's the case but according to JKLM2010 the 18 days doesn't really sound too promising.

Thanks for chiming in ... wow really? You got a CC on 07/02/2015 and are still waiting for an interview date?

So if I'm not mistaken your case is currently at NVC right? They haven't shipped yet since you haven't received an interview date.

Gah!!!! This is ridiculous! To wait so long for USCIS than NVC to approve and after finally getting a CC at NVC have to wait 2 months for an interview?

I've already submitted DS-260 and have paid all fee's.

What do you guys think if I submit the expedited request? Do you think it will pull up any troubles for me during the interview they than have with my spouse?

Will my IV/AOS package be sent to the embassy? Will it be reviewed here in NVC or will the embassy review it?

UGH!!! I could rant on and on about this whole stupid process! It's torture and just so cruel, especially for those of us who can't afford a $1700 (or so) plane ticket to visit our loved ones :cry:

And yes my case is gathering dust at NVC. And no immigrant visas aren't shipped out until they have an interview date.

You can try the expedite, but you would have to have a pretty legitimate reason and then pull out evidence to prove it. I'm sure tons of people have tried expediting at Kabul already.

And if you DO get an expedite, then your documents should be sent directly to the embassy instead of being reviewed at NVC.

It seems that the embassy decides on the expedite request, but only based on this thread: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/500693-nvc-expedite/

I would try anyways. There was yet another explosion in Kabul two days ago, so your reason should be legitimate based on at least humanitarian reasons. However, if the embassy is the one that decides, like jklm said, they may not be able to support your request. I think you should go for it anyways. It should not hurt your case!

Signature coming soon...

Timeline

UGH!!! I could rant on and on about this whole stupid process! It's torture and just so cruel, especially for those of us who can't afford a $1700 (or so) plane ticket to visit our loved ones :cry:

And yes my case is gathering dust at NVC. And no immigrant visas aren't shipped out until they have an interview date.

You can try the expedite, but you would have to have a pretty legitimate reason and then pull out evidence to prove it. I'm sure tons of people have tried expediting at Kabul already.

And if you DO get an expedite, then your documents should be sent directly to the embassy instead of being reviewed at NVC.

It seems that the embassy decides on the expedite request, but only based on this thread: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/500693-nvc-expedite/

I would try anyways. There was yet another explosion in Kabul two days ago, so your reason should be legitimate based on at least humanitarian reasons. However, if the embassy is the one that decides, like jklm said, they may not be able to support your request. I think you should go for it anyways. It should not hurt your case!

It's a small chance of it being approved but on the offset that it is I just want to know what I'm getting myself into.

You know how the Afghans are over there, always trying to screw something up. So I want to be sure this wont negatively impact my case.

Will it be Americans who review those documents or Afghans? I don't want them doing something, you know what I mean?

So than IF it is approved I guess the AOS/IV package WILL be sent to the embassy right from NVC correct?

It's a small chance of it being approved but on the offset that it is I just want to know what I'm getting myself into.

You know how the Afghans are over there, always trying to screw something up. So I want to be sure this wont negatively impact my case.

Will it be Americans who review those documents or Afghans? I don't want them doing something, you know what I mean?

So than IF it is approved I guess the AOS/IV package WILL be sent to the embassy right from NVC correct?

Yes I know how Afghans can be like (Vajaster: are you yourself Afghan by the way? I am.)

And I don't know the answer to who will be looking at the documents, but yes NVC will send them directly to the embassy.

.....every time there's a bombing or something over there my stomach twists from worry :(

May all our loved ones be kept safe.

It's Americans that make the decisions in the embassy. There are Afghan nationals working as guards, secretaries, translators, drivers, etc. There was an Afghan that took the documents he had; she did not accept the photos, phone records, our letters and Skype records - but she told him to only give the Facebook messages. (I had copies of these from March in the case file, though.) It was an American that interviewed him. An Afghan called him to drop off his passport, but she was speaking Dari, so I think she called because of language. However, when my fiance asked her a question, she had to call him back because she had to ask. Also, my responses to my emails are in "American English", not "Afghan English".

Signature coming soon...

Timeline

It's Americans that make the decisions in the embassy. There are Afghan nationals working as guards, secretaries, translators, drivers, etc. There was an Afghan that took the documents he had; she did not accept the photos, phone records, our letters and Skype records - but she told him to only give the Facebook messages. (I had copies of these from March in the case file, though.) It was an American that interviewed him. An Afghan called him to drop off his passport, but she was speaking Dari, so I think she called because of language. However, when my fiance asked her a question, she had to call him back because she had to ask. Also, my responses to my emails are in "American English", not "Afghan English".

That's weird, I wonder why they didn't let him submit the photos ... that's part of the evidence.

Do you guys think I have a better chance of requesting an expedite through my congressman/woman or just to email the expedite email address for NVC myself?

I would call NVC first. You want to make sure that you don't need to do something specific. You also want to make sure you have the correct email address and such. I don't think a congressional person would consider your case until you go through them first; they may not be able to help until you submit the request first.

Signature coming soon...

GUESS WHAAAAAAAAAAT!?????

FINALLY got our interview date! :joy: :joy: :joy:

I was browsing through the September interview thread and was noticing that people who were calling today were getting interview dates on the phone but just hadn't gotten the emails yet.

So I decided to give it a try and wasn't expecting anything and it turned out we DID have a date!! 9/30!!! :content: :content: :content: I'm just so happy I can't even express it!

Timeline

GUESS WHAAAAAAAAAAT!?????

FINALLY got our interview date! :joy: :joy: :joy:

I was browsing through the September interview thread and was noticing that people who were calling today were getting interview dates on the phone but just hadn't gotten the emails yet.

So I decided to give it a try and wasn't expecting anything and it turned out we DID have a date!! 9/30!!! :content: :content: :content: I'm just so happy I can't even express it!

WOHOOOOOO!!!!!! CONGRATS!!!!! I'm ELATED for you guys!!! So happy!

Legit. I am happy for you two!!! Good stuff!!!

I wonder when they had assigned the interview date for you, since you decided to call yourself.

Like do you think they had already assigned it say a month ago or a few weeks ago but you just decided to call.

Congrats, jlkm!!!! I know that's such a big relief!!!! Now you can start acting on the next stage and get closer to the end of this process!!!!!

Signature coming soon...

WOHOOOOOO!!!!!! CONGRATS!!!!! I'm ELATED for you guys!!! So happy!

Legit. I am happy for you two!!! Good stuff!!!

I wonder when they had assigned the interview date for you, since you decided to call yourself.

Like do you think they had already assigned it say a month ago or a few weeks ago but you just decided to call.

Congrats, jlkm!!!! I know that's such a big relief!!!! Now you can start acting on the next stage and get closer to the end of this process!!!!!

Thank you to both you guys for the support! I'm just so SO happy that we at least have a date to look forward to now!

And I'm actually not sure when it was scheduled but I just received the email for it like 25 minutes ago and it was dated today's date :)

Oh well, knowing about it 4 hours early was totally worth it lol!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.