hdbueg

how safe is it to travel to Morocco?

42 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

my parents are dead set against this. Please tell me Morocco is a safe country. I Mother says that she has done hours of research on government websites and states that everything she has read says this is big no no.

They are dead set against watching my kids while I go. So the only option I have is to hire someone to watch or bring them with me.

I know she is worried but I am no fool and will take care or myself. She said yeah how can you do that when they have a gun pointed at your head.

Please someone help

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
Moved from General Polls to MENA regional forum.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Having never been there I cannot fully comment; however, I had a very similar situation before I went to Pakistan the first time. My mom told me I was going to come home in a body bag. I found the area where I went to be safe, or seemingly so, and never had any safety concerns. More details might help, like where in Morocco and why are you going there? Whatever you do, be happy with your decision.

Spoiler

Married December 19, 2014

I-130 Petition sent January 14, 2015
NOA1 date January 20, 2015 (NSC)

NOA2 date May 28, 2015 :dance::dance::dance:

Mailed to NVC June 4, 2015

NVC Received June 10, 2015

NVC Case Number Assigned June 23, 2015

NVC AoS Invoice via Mail June 24, 2015

NVC Selected Agent Over Phone June 30, 2015 (Unable to logon to CEAC)

NVC IV Invoice via email received July 1, 2015

NVC AoS/IV Package Mailed July 2, 2015

NVC AoS & IV Fee Paid Online (CEAC is working) July 6. 2015

NVC Document Scan Date July 6, 2015

NCV AoS & IV Fee marked as paid in CEAC July, 7 2015

NVC DS 260 Completed July 8, 2015

NVC CC July 30, 2015 (24 days after scan date, about 2 months post NOA2)

Interview Scheduled on August 26, 2015

Interview P4 Email Received August 27, 2015

Medical in Islamabad September 2, 2015

Interview Date September 22, 2015 CANCELLED (Embassy is Over scheduled) :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Interview Scheduled on September 10, 2015

Interview Date October 14, 2015 APPROVED

Visa Issued October 16, 2015, 9 months start to finish

POE JFK October 26, 2015

GC in Hand Jan 8, 2016

RoC I-751 NOA1 August 31, 2017 (Vermont Service Center)

Biometrics October 2, 2017

I551 Stamp in Passport August 2, 2018

18 Month Extension Letter August 3, 2018

Applied for Naturalization N-400 Online July 30, 2018

Biometrics August 23, 2018

10 year GC is in production September 17, 2018

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hello!

Well your parents must be influenced by what they hear about Arab countries but do not worry Morocco is safe.

My parents are from Morocco, I go there often and married my husband there (he is a US citizen).

There are millions of tourists from all over the world traveling there every year (Americans too!). A lot of Westerners work there too.

Just avoid really poor areas and the "western sahara" (since there are political tensions there).

You should try to talk to Americans who live or have been there, so they can give you more advice.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline

I completely understand what you're going through, my parents made me see a therapist before I traveled to Tunisia to meet my husband for the first time. They were telling me horror stories about all the "what-ifs". You have kids though so that brings a new dimension. I have some questions for you to get a better sense of how your safety will be while you're there:

1) How long have you known the person you're going to meet and whom are they?

2) Does this person live in a metropolitan area or more rural?

3) Do you feel comfortable leaving your kids alone with a stranger while you're gone?

4) You don't have any other family you can leave your kids with?

"A million years if I could live,
A thousand lives if I could give,
I would spend it all again with you,
Don't forget where you belong,
Only with me you are strong,
Not even the gods above can break,
Baby what we have"

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I cannot speak on Morocco since I have never been there, but I can tell you that my family had similar concerns. Help to educate them about the country and city where you will be staying. Give them information on the American Embassy there. Talk to them about your fiance and why you care for and trust him so much. Before my first visit, I left a page of information with my family as to info about my fiance, phone numbers, hotel names and numbers, flight info etc etc. I also assured them that they raised me to be a smart responsible woman and I would not do anything I didn't feel comfortable with. I wanted to get back home safe to my children just as much as they did. I said flat out "I'm a grown woman, if I had any red flags or bad feelings I would not be going!" After that they seemed to chill out some. This is all very new and odd to others not in our situation. Believe me most people here thought I was completely nuts. It just comes from a place of love for you and lack of education and experience of other cultrures on their end. If they are this worried about you going, I can't imagine they would want your children to go also. Its best for everyone involved if they remain home for this first visit. I wish you the best of luck!

This is my personal opinion. Been there as a tourist a few years back. We were told not to leave the hotel campus unless it was on an organised trip but even then we were hassled and harassed. I didn't feel safe even in a group of tourists. They seemed to thrive on using any tactics to extract money from you, legal or otherwise.

Now, before anyone starts to shout me down, I know this goes on in many countries not just Morocco... but as a male I was very nervous there... a lone female? gotta be concerned about that.

You say you "are no fool" but you need to research and then research some more about where you are going to stay and with whom.

The 30 Brits that were murdered on the beach in Tunisia probably thought they'd be safe too. Is anywhere 'safe' in the world today? Probably not but you have to minimize the risk by doing lots of research.

Timeline

This is my personal opinion. Been there as a tourist a few years back. We were told not to leave the hotel campus unless it was on an organised trip but even then we were hassled and harassed. I didn't feel safe even in a group of tourists. They seemed to thrive on using any tactics to extract money from you, legal or otherwise.

Now, before anyone starts to shout me down, I know this goes on in many countries not just Morocco... but as a male I was very nervous there... a lone female? gotta be concerned about that.

You say you "are no fool" but you need to research and then research some more about where you are going to stay and with whom.

The 30 Brits that were murdered on the beach in Tunisia probably thought they'd be safe too. Is anywhere 'safe' in the world today? Probably not but you have to minimize the risk by doing lots of research.

I agree you must research. I read everything I could find on the country, the customs, food....everything. Being a tourist and being with someone native to the country is different though. Yes, please make sure your fiance understand you and your family's concerns and he addresses them. My fiance still never leaves me there alone and I've been there 5x.

Edited by LionessDeon

Timeline

You are not wrong, the problem there is proverty and indeed a lot of people beg in the streets. That's why I specified that it is better to avoid poor areas. A lot of people stay in their hotels thinking it is a jungle outside but when they make the decision to leave the hotel and actually visit the country (cause i guess that's the whole purpose of traveling to another country) they realize it's not that bad.

As I said millions of people travel to Morocco every year (http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/ST.INT.ARVL : more than 10 million in 2013) and the number of homocides does not even reach half the number of homicides in the US.

I am not encouraging you to go @hdbueg since I do not know why you are going there and it is not really of my business. But do some reading and as other people advised you, contact the embassy there, they know better than any one on this forum if it is safe for you to be there.

Good luck!

I would be going to Casablanca. although he did say that he wanted to take me to a tourist location for a few days I don't remember the city. We met in May of this year and I would be going between mid September and mid November.

Unfortunately when I say anything about him to my parents they always say well go do you know what he is telling you is the truth. I have googled him and found him online belonging to a local soccer/football league. I have seen his passport and ID and I tell them this and they say how do you know they are not falsified documents. SO it does not matter what I say to them they think I am being played or much worse. How will I know until I go.

I don't feel comfortable leaving my kids with a stranger and they did say that they would be better if I did not travel alone.

I don't have any other family that is close besides my parents

Timeline

Traveling with children and traveling with an adult are two different things. Personally, I know quite a few women that travel alone. You just have to be sensible and educated on where you are going. If your parents won't believe you print out some material for them to read. Go to the site mentioned above and print some things out. Print out some things from the embassy. Have them talk to your fiance directly. You can get played and taken advantage of in your own hometown too.

If you truly feel this in your heart and go down the visa journey road this will not be your first battle believe me!

Timeline

I would be going to Casablanca. although he did say that he wanted to take me to a tourist location for a few days I don't remember the city. We met in May of this year and I would be going between mid September and mid November.

Unfortunately when I say anything about him to my parents they always say well go do you know what he is telling you is the truth. I have googled him and found him online belonging to a local soccer/football league. I have seen his passport and ID and I tell them this and they say how do you know they are not falsified documents. SO it does not matter what I say to them they think I am being played or much worse. How will I know until I go.

I don't feel comfortable leaving my kids with a stranger and they did say that they would be better if I did not travel alone.

I don't have any other family that is close besides my parents

My parents are actually from Casablanca. Some areas are not for tourists especially if you are not from there. And as any other big city, it is not the safest place. (avoid going out at night)

You are in a difficult position. If you ask me about Morocco and going on vacation there, I can give you advice but since this is a personal matter I cannot really give my opinion... But have you ever met him in person? I am not sure I understood the whole story. If you never met him, whether he lives on the moon or Morocco, I would not go...

Timeline

My parents are actually from Casablanca. Some areas are not for tourists especially if you are not from there. And as any other big city, it is not the safest place. (avoid going out at night)

You are in a difficult position. If you ask me about Morocco and going on vacation there, I can give you advice but since this is a personal matter I cannot really give my opinion... But have you ever met him in person? I am not sure I understood the whole story. If you never met him, whether he lives on the moon or Morocco, I would not go...

Well how would they meet for the K1 requirement then? In another country or city maybe?

my children are 9 and 15.

I have never met him before.

As far as them talking to him I am not sure what they will accomplish. I have skyped him and his family. Which I have mentioned that to them and them and their response is how do you know that actually is his family. There is no winning with them unless I just break it off with him.

Giving them information might help but I am not sure what to give them that would make them feel more comfortable. Because this is about them and me pissing them off not about me and possibility meeting the love of the my life.

Timeline

my children are 9 and 15.

I have never met him before.

As far as them talking to him I am not sure what they will accomplish. I have skyped him and his family. Which I have mentioned that to them and them and their response is how do you know that actually is his family. There is no winning with them unless I just break it off with him.

Giving them information might help but I am not sure what to give them that would make them feel more comfortable. Because this is about them and me pissing them off not about me and possibility meeting the love of the my life.

Sorry to hear that.

Well then I guess that only leaves:

1. take them with you

2. leave them with a stranger

3. don't go

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.