Jump to content

Marriage in the U.S., Live Abroad

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

I submitted the i129f petition for my fiancé to marry here in the U.S., but I'm considering taking a job in another country. I would like him to live with me there.

I can't marry him in his country because it's illegal (gay), so we need to get married in the U.S..

So my options are:

1. Continue with the process, marry here, and then go abroad abandoning change of status.

2. Switch to a tourist visa application, get married, go live abroad together.

3. Continue with the process, marry here, get an advance parole. Does anyone know about this one?

What is best? John

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Advance parole doesn't sound like it will matter if you are planning on living abroad for a while.

Get him to the US so you can marry. K or tourist visa will do. K visa may be the wiser to seek if you are not 100% about working abroad. K visa leads to the GC if you stay. If you don't adjust at that time and go abroad you just apply for a spouse visa when you are ready to live in the US.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318


PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.