Janelle2002

Authorities: Off-duty trooper fired at car with 3 men inside

20 posts in this topic

Authorities: Off-duty trooper fired at car with 3 men inside
94e89b90-e7b0-11e4-9ea9-23e8763fec68_Ass
By JOSH CORNFIELD2 hours ago

TRENTON, N.J. (AP) — An off-duty state trooper fired shots at a car with three young men inside as they were trying to drive away from his house after knocking on his door by mistake at night while looking for the house of a friend who lives next door, officials said.

The trooper told investigators he suspected the three men were trying to enter his Sparta home, 50 miles northwest of New York City, between 1:30 a.m. and 2 a.m. Sunday, the attorney general's office said.

The trooper remains on active duty, office spokesman Peter Aseltine said. No criminal charges have been filed, and the shooting remains under investigation. No one was injured in the shooting.

Jesse Barkhorn, 18, was in the car that night and said on Wednesday that they attended a party earlier and were dropping off one of them at a friend's house. He said they mistakenly knocked on the door at the house next to their friend's house. He said they heard a man screaming from inside and they ran back to the car.

They turned around in the cul-de-sac where the home is located and saw the man standing with his weapon pointed at them, Barkhorn said.

"At this point we're freaking out, 'It's a gun. It's a gun,'" Barkhorn said. "I was like, 'Dude, get out of here.'"

He said the driver accelerated and the man then fired at them. One of the bullets struck the car's front tire and the driver stopped the car a short distance away.

According to officials, who didn't release the names of those involved, two 18-year-olds and a 19-year-old went to the wrong house, knocked on the door and fled after a verbal exchange. They got in their car and drove away, and the trooper fired three shots with his personal weapon when the car did not stop, officials said.

Investigators said the officer, who joined the forced in 2009, identified himself as a police officer when he began chasing after them. Barkhorn said the windows of the car were closed and he did not hear that.

The attorney general's use-of-force policy says that "firearms are not generally effective in bringing moving vehicles to a rapid halt" and that officers should not fire at a car unless they reasonably believe that "there exists an imminent danger of death or serious bodily harm to the officer or another person" and that there's no other way to eliminate the danger.

Barkhorn said that after they stopped the car, one of the men fled. The man was found by officers hours later.

Barkhorn said all three were taken to the Sparta police department and then to state police barracks in Netcong. He said he remained in custody for more than nine hours before being released without being charged.

"It was traumatic. I really have never been in a situation like that," Barkhorn said. "You don't really appreciate things until you have a gun pointed at your head. It was really scary."

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

all three were taken to the Sparta police department and then to state police barracks in Netcong. He said he remained in custody for more than nine hours before being released without being charged.

I wonder how many of them said -- and how soon and how often -- "Officer, I wish to leave now. Am I free to go?"

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

My Dad always told me that nothing good happens to teenagers out driving around after midnight, I've told my kids the same thing. When I was 18/19 80% of my time was spent UTNG.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Or, even more succinctly, "Nothing good happens after midnight." Good reminder of good advice.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

The trooper told investigators he suspected the three men were trying to enter his Sparta home, 50 miles northwest of New York City, between 1:30 a.m. and 2 a.m. Sunday, the attorney general's office said.

140169202321552149231-cautionthisisspart

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

They were not inside of his home. What intruder knocks on the door to tell you they are going to intrude?

They were in the car driving away and he was shooting at them. He should be discharged and not allowed to have a weapon.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Bull! Everything good happens after midnight! When in my early 20s never set out until 1am.

there is nothing going on in NYC before 9 PM

The content available on a site dedicated to bringing folks to America should not be promoting racial discord, euro-supremacy, discrimination based on religion , exclusion of groups from immigration based on where they were born, disenfranchisement of voters rights based on how they might vote.

horsey-change.jpg?w=336&h=265

Bull! Everything good happens after midnight! When in my early 20s never set out until 1am.

And look where that got you, posting on VJ with a bunch of losers!

And look where that got you, posting on VJ with a bunch of losers!

Late-night drunken posting on VJ has its charms. It lends itself to posting Skynyrd and Molly Hatchet videos with one-line comments about 0bummer and crybaby libruls.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Late-night drunken posting on VJ has its charms. It lends itself to posting Skynyrd and Molly Hatchet videos with one-line comments about 0bummer and crybaby libruls.

And one handed typing! :energy: