begood

Very tired , no job yet!

54 posts in this topic

Lower your expectations. Green card opened the door here but nobody will wait for you on red carpet with 100k paid job. People do everything to survive. I do have masters degree but I worked on gas station, in restaurant and in bakery store night shift. Bills have to be paid. You always can work in Walmart, Mc Donalds, drive uber or lyft, be babysitter...There are plenty of opportunities in this beautiful country............

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Sometimes you have to just take what you can get at first, if you want to work right away.

My wife had a masters degree in education from the Philippines. She was a school teacher, and then became the principal of a 1000 student elementary school before coming here. But the first job she took here was in housekeeping at a nursing home, doing laundry. Then she got a second job part time working in housekeeping at a hospital cleaning rooms. She got a 3rd job part time working in food services at an elementary school cafeteria. So she had 3 jobs at that point at the same time. So she was well educated, but worked at jobs that were available, and poured her heart into it.

She still works as a resident assistant at an assisted living, and is an airman in the U.S. Air Force Air National Guard, but is finishing up a degree to become a registered nurse now. She opted for a complete career change at her own choosing. But the point is she worked hard at what jobs were immediately available to her and did not consider any job beneath her. All things work out in time.

I'm happy to post this post to be able to see what others they do, i see myself in your wife , you should be proud of what she did , happy for her , i wish her good luck

Lower your expectations and look outside your field and you'll find a job.

This is what i have to do to find a job,

You live in san marcos? I grew up in that area and I pass by there on my way going to school in San Diego. The professional job market is tough going down south. What I suggest is what others have been saying, take any job that's not in your field for now and use that as a starting point. You can make new friends and it will be a new experience. As soon as you have something on your resume from American soil your job opportunities will begin to grow. Also, driving is a very needed skill here and I suggest you hone your skills. If you look for work up north the jobs will be easier to get (because of course people want to work near their homes). It's reverse for me because we live up North but we drive down south for work lol. My brother has to drive to escondido from menifee and its like a 30-40 minute drive on a good day. I drive down to san diego and its an hour plus. Sometimes you just have to sacrifice initially until you can get more experience that will enable you to work in your desired field and location. Good luck to you :)

Service Center : Nebraska Service Center

Marriage : July 2, 2014

March 7, 2015: I-130 Sent

March 17, 2015: I-130 NOA1 received in mail

March 17, 2015: I-129F Sent

March 28, 2015: I-129F NOA1 received in mail

April 3, 2015: I-130 updated on USCIS website to approved! awaiting hardcopy of NOA2

April 14, 2015: Case was sent to NVC

April 18, 2015: I-130 NOA2 hardcopy received in mail

April 22, 2015: Case was received by NVC

May 1, 2015: Case number assigned

May 4, 2015 : I-129F NOA2 received in mail

June 2, 2015 : Selected Agent Via Phone

June 16, 2015 : Paid AOS and IV Fees Via Mail

June 22, 2015 : Wife receives Appointment letter from Manila Embassy (I-129F)

*proceeding with K-3 Visa instead. Cannot wait for the NVC problems to resolve

June 23, 2015: Interview scheduled for July 30

July 9, 2015 : Medical Completed

July 30, 2015 : Interview Complete APPROVED!!

August 16, 2015 : Received Letter from NVC that I-130 is being expedited to Manila Embassy.

August 26, 2015 : Manila Embassy closes K3. Proceeding with CR1 again. New interview date September 16, 2015

September 16, 2015 : Interview Complete APPROVED!! ISSUED on same day. :dance:

September 23, 2015 : Visa in hand
September 29, 2015 : POE

Timeline

My wife received her EAD 3-27-2015. She started working at 7-Eleven in April. She has worked her butt off in that position, even thought it's not close to being on par with her field of training in Germany. She was in hotel apprenticeship. In about 2 weeks, she will start as a nanny. Though that may not sound prestigious, it will very much help with our current situation. My wife is due to give birth to our 1st child in late Oct. Being a nanny allows her to receive more pay than she does currently, as well as being able to have our child with her at work. This will negate the need to pay for childcare. The family has already told her that they want her for 2-3 years, so that really gives us a good opportunity to continue to build our family foundation while reassessing the direction we'll go from there.

I wish a good health to your wife , thanks to share your family experience

Hi,

I landed a job before my 3rd month anniversary and got lucky to be on the same industry I was looking for. I wasn't choosy when I started looking. I pretty much apply for whatever I can get even not within my industry.

I guess you have two options.

1. Wait patiently until you land to your dream job.

2. Get whatever job you can.

So the question is, are you willing to wait longer than you've waited for your dream job or is it more important to get a job?

Timeline

Have you tried going to a temp/staffing agency? They can help with your resume and equip you with skills to get an interview and nail it. Since they do a lot of hiring they can tell you where you're falling short. Also they may be able to find you some short term stuff to get your feet wet.

I'm not trying to be judgmental but it doesn't really sound as if you're trying really hard. Trying to find a job is more than just applying online. Have you tried to take some short training courses? Gotten out of you house with a stack of resumes and looked for places that hire people in the roll you want and spoken to them in person? Started networking and going to social work events in your areas? Looked up job fairs at colleges near you?

When I first moved here i spent the first week applying online. After that I took a stack of resumes and Monday morning I put on my only professional suit. I walked business to business, asked for the manager and told them I was interested in applying for a job at their company. Half way through the first week I landed an interview on the spot and started the next week. Treat your job search like a job- do it Monday to Friday. Do your research, find out how you can better yourself, research positions you would like and see what requirements you don't need. If you're bent on not working an inferior job you will have to work you're butt off for it.

Good Luck- You're hard work will pay off.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions . i appreciate your help

Timeline

I know you said you are a new driver, but have you considered applying for a job with either San Diego County or Riverside County? The pay is decent and they both have many opportunities.

Riverside County http://www.rc-hr.com/

San Diego County http://www.sandiegocounty.gov/hr/

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your help

Timeline

My husband is an engineer and he got a job at Walmart until he found a job in his field. Many employers will not hire a foreigner with no US job experience. Get yourself at least a part time job somewhere, anywhere...even if it's minimum wage

Hi mimolicious , i need to start working any job just to get myself out of the house, i feel sick just sitting and wasting time, i'm not having a healthy life , i don't sleep well because i do nothing in day time just thinking about a job, thanks wish a good luck to you and to your husband

Timeline

The part time job my wife took as a food service worker at a school cafeteria was through the county government, so she got good benefits. She only had her 10 year green card at that time. And also when she joined the Air National Guard she only had her 10 year green card as well. And she got all the government benefits associated with that as well. And when she applied for naturalization it was expedited since she applied as a member of the military, and it cost us nothing. So there is also another option that has worked out good for us.

I'm happy for your wife

Timeline

From my own experience, I did not find something until I did not go door to door to leave resumes. Please do not get upset, but your English does not seem good enough for the type of job you want, you said you have a language degree, you can try Interpreters Unlimited if you want to work from home. They are a legit company working with the Gov. Third, you just need to start somewhere( store, restaurant, DMV, banks,insurance, selling houses, tutoring, volunteering, summer job...) and go from there. Opportunity will come, your driving skills will improve. I have a master degree in my country and started in a call center, two jobs later ended up doing quality control, pays a lot better and I actually like it. Good luck!!

Thanks for your advice,

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

I went to one of India's top business schools, have an undergraduate degree in business administration and finance. Most of my friends from school are working for Fortune 500 companies, traveling abroad for leisure on a quarterly basis, buying homes and buying their 2nd or 3rd cars (larger, nicer ones) Some of them are even working in the U.S. for Wall Street and other financial firms after being moved here by their companies.

I have been in the U.S. for 2.5 years now,I live in the NYC metropolitan area and I have even applied to jobs in Philly. Here are the list of jobs I have done so far.

1) Dishwasher at a very high-volume buffet that couldn't pay more than $7.25/hr because they had very low margins. They had to hire illegals to do the job at times as the turnover rate was very high. It's incredibly hot and damp inside and some days you worked 16 hours straight because one or more of the guys wouldn't show up. I would come home with a raging fever and I'd get up and go to work again the next day. I had to quit after 5 months because I developed arthritis in my fingers and wrist. They shut down a few months after I quit because even the managers decided to stop the madness.

2) Admin work for the State of NJ. I was able to get a break and work for the state for about 9 months in a rather easy admin job that paid $15 an hour. It was a job that even an 18 year old could do but boy, was I glad I wasn't destroying my body. I ate well, took the train to work in style, every day seemed like a blessing. But once the project ended I was out on the streets, again driving to every employment agency in a 60 mile radius with my new resume that had American experience. After 3 months of relentless 16 hours-a-day job search (This was right after the sequestration and spending cuts) I realized I had to go to school.

3) Cold calling people for the CDC about vaccinations. I would have to say this job was worse than the dishwashing job. We would make maybe 500 or 600 calls a day and 95% of them would hand up on you after cursing at you after you read from the script.

As someone who is not used to failure, a 95% failure rate (which was the average) was incredibly emotionally damaging. Some anti-vaccine people would curse you out in the foulest language. Some would curse you out cause they hate the govt. Some of them would get personal and say I am a loser for not getting a real job. Some of the other workers who had different accents have had to put up with racial slurs.

4) I then found an Indian couple in construction that now employ me for $12 an hour for admin related work but really what I mostly do is send mails, bring coffee and food, open and close the office after everyone leaves etc. I am happy for this job because it's not stressful and pays for the basics while I am in school.

I have been in school now for a year getting my master's in information systems. I reckon it's going to take me another year.

My advise to you is do not stay at home. It gets very depressing and takes you down. Go out there and do whatever you can because that's the only way to meet potential employers. You seem to have a great background in education and I know it's hard to settle for jobs that can be done by 15 year olds but I highly recommend going to school for a master's. If there are no schools near you, you can always do an online program. You will be watching the same lectures and writing the same exams as the in-class students so there is absolutely no compromise in the quality of education.

It's possible that you may get a good job that pays well and is emotionally satisfying but in this economy you really need the best education you can get to have a safe job that you can rely on. Especially, when you are very particular about where you want work. If you were ready to relocate there are far more opportunities that open up for you but for most of us who are married, that is not an option at least when you are starting off.

I have done months of research on schools around the country and various graduate programs they offer. Feel free to drop in a message if you need any help deciding.

Timeline

I agree with the other posters who said that experience AND education are important in the US for professional positions. While you may have had lots of great, relevant internships, the amount of time you spent at them are generally not considered equivalent to the same amount of time as full employment. 1 year is fairly limited, and for social work, many people here have both experience and post graduate degrees. You should map out a realistic timeline in which to build the career you want, including potentially "stepping-stone" positions initially. Working or volunteering for related non-profit organizations is a great idea (make sure you build a network and get good references), or consider working with perhaps special after-school programs with children, joining community organizations that have a social focus... Be creative, you may not get a 100% match to what you want in the beginning, but you can always learn new skills, build strong relationships and sometimes other jobs will be referred to you.

Your help is appreciated

Edited by begood

Timeline

Like many others have stated....You may have to start looking outside of your field initially. When I moved here from Canada, I left behind a very nice job working regulation in the energy industry for the province. I waited for 15 months for my green card to be processed and when I was finally able to I flooded the area I live in with resumes. That was in August... I didn't hear anything until November 2013... I've been here ever since and I work part time as an administrative assistant at a bank. While this is not a "money making" job or near as challenging as my last position I like the people I work with, like the job and I have amazing hours that allow me to take my stepdaughter to and from school, as well as her jazz, ballet, tap and gymnastics activities.

You might surprise yourself by taking a job in a field you've not been in or that you feel isn't good enough.

Good luck in your search :)

This is what i'm thinking about now, i need to start looking outside of my field

Good luck to you too

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline

Get experience at whatever job you can get. My husband currently just found a job after nine months :D he works his tail off, and most of the time the jobs arent glamorous or what your degree is in... experience means everything!!!! Please try to find anything to give you a starting point. Good luck !

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.