begood

Very tired , no job yet!

54 posts in this topic

My wife received her EAD 3-27-2015. She started working at 7-Eleven in April. She has worked her butt off in that position, even thought it's not close to being on par with her field of training in Germany. She was in hotel apprenticeship. In about 2 weeks, she will start as a nanny. Though that may not sound prestigious, it will very much help with our current situation. My wife is due to give birth to our 1st child in late Oct. Being a nanny allows her to receive more pay than she does currently, as well as being able to have our child with her at work. This will negate the need to pay for childcare. The family has already told her that they want her for 2-3 years, so that really gives us a good opportunity to continue to build our family foundation while reassessing the direction we'll go from there.

ROC Timeline!

Service Center : California Service Center

NOA2017-09-01

Biometrics : 2017-09-28

ROC Approved 2019-01-17

AOS Timeline!

Marriage : 2015-01-10

AOS/EAD/AP NOA : 2015-01-20

Biometrics : 2015-02-17

EAD/AP Approved : 2015-03-17

NPIW : 2015-06-11

AOS Approved : 2015-11-24

K-1 Visa Timeline!

Service Center : Texas Service Center

Transferred? No

Consulate : Frankfurt, Germany

I-129F NOA1 : 2014-03-11

I-129F NOA2 : 2014-08-12

Consulate Received : 2014-09-15

Interview Date : 2014-11-13

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 2014-11-15

US Entry : 2014-12-31

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Have you tried going to a temp/staffing agency? They can help with your resume and equip you with skills to get an interview and nail it. Since they do a lot of hiring they can tell you where you're falling short. Also they may be able to find you some short term stuff to get your feet wet.

I'm not trying to be judgmental but it doesn't really sound as if you're trying really hard. Trying to find a job is more than just applying online. Have you tried to take some short training courses? Gotten out of you house with a stack of resumes and looked for places that hire people in the roll you want and spoken to them in person? Started networking and going to social work events in your areas? Looked up job fairs at colleges near you?

When I first moved here i spent the first week applying online. After that I took a stack of resumes and Monday morning I put on my only professional suit. I walked business to business, asked for the manager and told them I was interested in applying for a job at their company. Half way through the first week I landed an interview on the spot and started the next week. Treat your job search like a job- do it Monday to Friday. Do your research, find out how you can better yourself, research positions you would like and see what requirements you don't need. If you're bent on not working an inferior job you will have to work you're butt off for it.

Good Luck- You're hard work will pay off.

09/27/14 Married :content:

12/03/14 Became a US citizen :star:

. .

02/25/15 130 Petition sent

02/27/15 NOA1 date :clock:

07/23/15 NOA2 date

08/03/15 Mailed to NVC

08/07/15 NVC Received

08/19/15 Case number assigned, submitted DS-261

08/20/15 Paid AOS bill

08/25/15 Received welcome letter

08/25/15 Sent AOS & IV package

08/31/15 DS-261 reviewed

08/31/15 AOS & IV scan date confirmed by Sup.

09/02/15 Received IV bill by email

09/03/15 Paid IV bill

09/09/15 Submitted DS-260

09/17/15 Case Completed @ NVC

10/06/15 Expedite Request sent to NVC

11/12/15 Contacted Sen. Marco Rubio for assistance with expedite by email

11/19/15 Expedite Approved

12/9/15 Medical

12/11/15 Interview (Approved)

12/14/15 CEAC Status changed to AP

12/15/15 CEAC Status Changed to Issued

12/18/15 Picked up Passport & booked hubby's ticket.

12/31/15 Ring in the New Years together after 4 years!!!! :dancing:

event.png

I know you said you are a new driver, but have you considered applying for a job with either San Diego County or Riverside County? The pay is decent and they both have many opportunities.

Riverside County http://www.rc-hr.com/

San Diego County http://www.sandiegocounty.gov/hr/

Hope this helps.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

and just an FYI, if you apply for jobs with the county, city, state or any government job make sure that you do not need to be a citizen to apply. Many of those jobs require US citizenship in order to even apply. Good luck!!!

The part time job my wife took as a food service worker at a school cafeteria was through the county government, so she got good benefits. She only had her 10 year green card at that time. And also when she joined the Air National Guard she only had her 10 year green card as well. And she got all the government benefits associated with that as well. And when she applied for naturalization it was expedited since she applied as a member of the military, and it cost us nothing. So there is also another option that has worked out good for us.

and just an FYI, if you apply for jobs with the county, city, state or any government job make sure that you do not need to be a citizen to apply. Many of those jobs require US citizenship in order to even apply. Good luck!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

From my own experience, I did not find something until I did not go door to door to leave resumes. Please do not get upset, but your English does not seem good enough for the type of job you want, you said you have a language degree, you can try Interpreters Unlimited if you want to work from home. They are a legit company working with the Gov. Third, you just need to start somewhere( store, restaurant, DMV, banks,insurance, selling houses, tutoring, volunteering, summer job...) and go from there. Opportunity will come, your driving skills will improve. I have a master degree in my country and started in a call center, two jobs later ended up doing quality control, pays a lot better and I actually like it. Good luck!!

I agree with the other posters who said that experience AND education are important in the US for professional positions. While you may have had lots of great, relevant internships, the amount of time you spent at them are generally not considered equivalent to the same amount of time as full employment. 1 year is fairly limited, and for social work, many people here have both experience and post graduate degrees. You should map out a realistic timeline in which to build the career you want, including potentially "stepping-stone" positions initially. Working or volunteering for related non-profit organizations is a great idea (make sure you build a network and get good references), or consider working with perhaps special after-school programs with children, joining community organizations that have a social focus... Be creative, you may not get a 100% match to what you want in the beginning, but you can always learn new skills, build strong relationships and sometimes other jobs will be referred to you.

Like many others have stated....You may have to start looking outside of your field initially. When I moved here from Canada, I left behind a very nice job working regulation in the energy industry for the province. I waited for 15 months for my green card to be processed and when I was finally able to I flooded the area I live in with resumes. That was in August... I didn't hear anything until November 2013... I've been here ever since and I work part time as an administrative assistant at a bank. While this is not a "money making" job or near as challenging as my last position I like the people I work with, like the job and I have amazing hours that allow me to take my stepdaughter to and from school, as well as her jazz, ballet, tap and gymnastics activities.

You might surprise yourself by taking a job in a field you've not been in or that you feel isn't good enough.

Good luck in your search :)

Is ready for this journey to begin!

event.png

Service Center : Vermont Reminder letter for I-751 Received: 2015-04-09
Consulate : Vancouver, BC ROC packet sent to California Service Center: 2015-05-27
I-129F Sent : 2011-10-27 ROC packet received by USCIS: 2015-05-29
I-129F Received : 2010-11-01 1-751 NOA received: 2015-06-03

I-129F NOA2 : 2012-02-02 APPROVED!!!! I-751 Biometrics: 2015-08-25
NOA2 Hard Copy : 2012-02-07 I-751 Interview? or approval?
NOA2 Received 2012-02-15
Packet 3 : 2012-02-15 Received!!!
Packet 4 : 2012-03-17 Received!!!
Interview: 2012-04-19 - APPROVED!!!!
Visa On Hand :2012-04-21
POE: 2012-05-03 Toronto, ON, Canada

MARRIED <3 - 2012-06-07

I-485 &I-765: 2012-08-02

I-485- Interview: 2013-08-02 - APPROVED!!

Green Card in Hand: 2013-08-17

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

It is really tough. My husband worked every day applying online for jobs, calling people, going to businesses, and driving all the way up to Atlanta to find a job. However, he was able to finally find a job locally that fit his education and experience. It was tough, but he did it. It is very important in the US to have experience within the US.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline

I have BA in social work from my country , Associate degree in Business, and BA degree in foreign language , i have more than 1 year working in social , and a lot of internships in the same field ,

Why not become a professional translator? Seek and ye shall find!

"A million years if I could live,
A thousand lives if I could give,
I would spend it all again with you,
Don't forget where you belong,
Only with me you are strong,
Not even the gods above can break,
Baby what we have"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

My husband had a job a couple of days after he set foot on US soil. It was something he had experience in back home but really wasn't interested in, but a job is a job. He retrained at a community college, graduated with top honors while working and now has a job in the trades. He's been here a little over 2 years.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

hey! I know it's hard to find a job here, especially when you were raised in different country.... my thoughts to you would be open your eyes and see other fields and other options!!!! your bachelors degree means absolutely nothing without experience in USA... that is brutal THRUTH! Go out! meet friends, see whats out there!

I've been married for almost two years now... when I got here I knew my bachelors degree was going to be no good... I knew I had to start from scratch... at the same time I didnt have money to go school... so I just started applying for restaurant jobs. I worked as a hostess, busser and finally I got a servering position. I started educating myself about fine wines and foods. And now I'm one of the yougest servers in a fine dining restaurant in CA (I'm 24)! And I make more money then my hubby does...

In USA it's all about how good you can "sell yourself".... If youre confident, know what you're talking about, enthusiastic, you'll get the job! There are so many companies and so many employers! if you screw up on one interview who cares!!!! move on! go again again! dont give up!!!

You said something that you're a new driver.... I understand you on that!!! Believe me I was shaking like a leave first time driving on a freeway by myself!!! my thoughts to you, get a cheap car (automatic), get a good insurance, take back ways to places (meaning dont take freeways first times), before you drive find out the correct address, google map it, memorise the streets you are going to take lleft and right turns and you'll be good! believe me i went through this.... If you have any questions please let me know... hope this was usefull... (F)

Thanks for sharing your experience , sometimes i really think the way you described , just go out have a job , build experience and buy a car , thanks again for your help

I suggest that with your degree in social work, you could first start out by volunteering in a non-profit that's related to what you've done in social work (education? poverty prevention? safety nets?). Volunteering in the non-profit will help you to build a profile or in other words, help you to "sell / promote yourself". Your social work degree will come in great! Hiring opportunities from that non-profit or other closely related non-profits will then come up. Good Luck! Succ

Thanks

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

You are way too picky. I have graduate degrees, and more than 8 years experience working in academia in my country. Yet I worked a low paying, night job at walmart for a while. I had another job in education in which I commuted for 60 miles, waited for two hours, then took two more buses for an additional 90 minutes. Wake up at 2 every morning so that I could be at work at 8. Thankfully, that was a temp job, because it was difficult on me.

Currently, I have a better paying position and my commute time is 45 minutes. Yes, I use two buses because I can't drive. Honestly, if you really want a job, and don't live in a tiny town in the middle of nowhere, you can find one.

Congratulations to you i wish if i could have your courage to accept any job, You are right, if i want a job i have to be patient,

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.