52 posts in this topic

Ok, so I reside in the UK, my fiance lives in the USA, we met online and we got engaged the week before last, in person in his hometown, so now we want to start applying for a fiance visa, so we can start our lives together.

The only flaw is that whilst we were together (11 days) we didn't do very much, we stayed in and 'enjoyed one anothers company' :-) we went out a little, just to do daily things like grocery shopping etc.

Now here is the clincher, he has previous convictions from a young age for drug use and dealing and has mental health problems, bipolar type 1 to be exact and serious social anxieties, so it is difficult for us to be in public places for long periods of time.

He also isn't a photo kind of guy.

So in the 11 days I was with him, we had an incredible time, but I went home with very little physical evidence of our being together, no photos of the two of us :-( and not very many reciepts, so I am stressing now as to what to do with regards to a visa.

I love him more than anything in the universe and I can't live without him.

(By the way he's no longer involved in any illegal activity and is very spiritual.)

Please help me. ?

Oh and we've been together for just over a year.

As long as you are comfortable with his health issues dont worry about what the others are saying, bipolar people are very capable of maintaining healthy relationships it will just take work from both of you.

The evidence you have should be good I would also include the specific chats where you two planned your trip and specifics if he picked you up from the airport showing that not only were you two in the same state but you have records of you two communicating that you were actually together. Like others stated in the I129F you arent proving your relationship yet you are proving that you were physically together withing the 2 years prior to filing and your passport stamps along, plane tickets and chat logs showing the plan should be sufficient to prove that.

At the embassy is where you will need to prove your relationship, with any prior drug convictions make sure he has disclosed them all because if they ask and you do not know that will be a flag for them. The crimes you have mentioned aren't a reason for denial but you not knowing about them if they come up in the interview could be.

I wish you the best of luck on your journey and having spent some time in Louisiana make sure you do some shopping once you get here I believe they sell special clothes that those giant mosquitoes can't bite through.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Ginnyirishrose: thankyou for your concern about his illness, but my mother has it too and I've lived with it all my life, he's always great at taking his meds and apart from being a bit socially awkward, you'd not even know he had it. There are always ups and downs with bipolar, but I love him enough to understand and cope with that, I'm used to it with mum, he's an extremely loving and caring person and absolutely worships me.

But thank you for your reply.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

you said you are the UK citizen and he is US citizen. He will not go for an interview, you will.

Drug convictions? May be more of a problem And I have read mental illness is looked at closely.

Can he work?

Does he work?

Are the convictions when he was under age?

Where the drugs related to his illness?

I know you love him and are serious but have you thought to do your own background check?

I am totally serious thinking more people should do credit and criminal background checks

And this is not an insult to him

You love him and he may be everything that is good. but please, protect yourself.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

The USC petitioner's drug convictions do not make her ineligible for a K-1. If he has 3 or more convictions, then he needs to check Yes on the I-129F where it asks, and provide the criminal records for them. It is all about disclosure to the foreign fiance(e). Since she already knows, that is a good thing and won't throw her off when the CO asks about it in order to inform her of his past convictions. If he does not have 3 or more, then it won't matter at all.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

This will all work out fine for you, probably.

The only thing I can say is the first thing the officer asked my "wife now" was.,.,., ""do you have any pictures"" but different country, and different embassy.

I am sure they are all different.

You should be fine, and good luck.

I admire your efforts!

Timeline

My dad did a background check and there are more than 3 convictions, but I know about every single one, and the last time he offended was 18 years ago. He has made a completely new life, he works extremely hard in a good job.

He's got a fully paid for home which he inherited, he takes his meds regularly with no hiccups and he treats me like a queen.

Thankyou so much for all your comments (the sensible ones) I feel much better about it all.

We have our chat history, right back to the beginning and I have all my boarding passes, proof of flights etc.

I'm almost tempted to call up the hotel I stayed in with him in Houston and ask if they have any cctv footage from reception on the date we arrived that they could pull a picture of the two of us from, but that would be really the last resort and they probably wouldn't for data protection.

But I could try.

Thanks again everyone.

Timeline

Oh and when I say I know about everything on his background check, that'd because he had already told me absolutely everything, with nothing left out and no secrets. I have the message that he told me everything in and it states that he wanted to be honest and open with me, so that I could analyse and contemplate everything he's told me and make an informed decision if I want to continue our (at the time) friendship.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Photos are secondary evidence but you still need them at the USCIS AND INTERVIEW stages. Very little receipts need them they are primary evidence boarding passes bus train plane ATM withdrawal slips bank account statement showing withdrawal in USA anything placing you in his hometown for those 11 days the more the better. Is he working? Or on disability? He has to make the legal poverty line limit for the state of Louisiana approximately 19 thousand for 2 people not counting if he has other people who are in the home. Could you try to come back and get more evidence to will make it so much easier for for approval of the visa. I'm boarding passes passport stamps anything put new in the same hometown for those 11 days you're going to need that in your application. is he capable of putting a package together for you it took me 3 months and I did it myself so it takes a lot of time and effort you have to go to visajourney forms and look up all the information on applying for k1 visa and follow the steps perfectly this form is wonderful to help you apply for k1 visa

Photos are secondary evidence but you still need them at the USCIS AND INTERVIEW stages. Very little receipts need them they are primary evidence boarding passes bus train plane ATM withdrawal slips bank account statement showing withdrawal in USA anything placing you in his hometown for those 11 days the more the better. Is he working? Or on disability? He has to make the legal poverty line limit for the state of Louisiana approximately 19 thousand for 2 people not counting if he has other people who are in the home. Could you try to come back and get more evidence to will make it so much easier for for approval of the visa. I'm boarding passes passport stamps anything put new in the same hometown for those 11 days you're going to need that in your application. is he capable of putting a package together for you it took me 3 months and I did it myself so it takes a lot of time and effort you have to go to visajourney forms and look up all the information on applying for k1 visa and follow the steps perfectly this form is wonderful to help you apply for k1 visa

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Singapore
Timeline

I agree. Definitely provide evidence of the plane tickets, receipts, itinerary as well as emails, long distance phone calls, text messages and Whatsapp logs. Photos would be nice too but they are not the main pieces of evidence (as anyone can fake photographs of a relationship). Good Luck!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Again, at I-129f stage you do NOT prove continuing relationship, but physically meeting within the last 2 years. Therefore, phone calls, texts and Whatsapp are pointless. Is the hotel bill in both your names?

Some people like to include this at the Petition stage, since everything in your Petition will be forwarded to the embassy/consulate, where you will have the interview.

I can only relate my experience from Frankfurt: NO evidence of continuing relationship was asked for or needed, neither mailed or at the interview. Experiences from Philippines or MENA cannot be compared to Western Europe. Check the regional forums. MAYBE you will include the evidence of continuing relationship when you send/take things to the embassy, but again, that's not a concern in every country.

Timeline

Again, at I-129f stage you do NOT prove continuing relationship, but physically meeting within the last 2 years. Therefore, phone calls, texts and Whatsapp are pointless. Is the hotel bill in both your names?

Some people like to include this at the Petition stage, since everything in your Petition will be forwarded to the embassy/consulate, where you will have the interview.

I can only relate my experience from Frankfurt: NO evidence of continuing relationship was asked for or needed, neither mailed or at the interview. Experiences from Philippines or MENA cannot be compared to Western Europe. Check the regional forums. MAYBE you will include the evidence of continuing relationship when you send/take things to the embassy, but again, that's not a concern in every country.

The bill for the hotel was only in his name and as I paid for my flight, he paid for everything whilst I.was there, I didn't spend a penny! So I have no proof apart from my flight tickets etc.

But I am from the UK I have a good job, I've never done anything wrong, no police records, he works on the rigs in the gulf of Mexico, so earns good money.

His family/friends will write letters of recommendation and to say that I've been there, if that helps at the interview stage.

But as you say, hopefully I won't need too much, but I'll get as much as I physically can and if I feel it's not enough I'll have to save up and fly out again when I can.

Thankyou for your reply.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

TELL HIM to save everything any receipts he has put it in a folder make 3 copies of each you're going to need 3 files USCIS one for you and one as a backup. AND if he's going to file for your I129f he's the one that needs to read all the information and apply for your petition so he needs to come on here and organize all the paperwork if HE loves you that much HE WILL spend three-months putting all the papers together YOU have to work as a team. after it passes the National Visa Center it'll be your turn to pick up and do the rest of the papers people think it's just going to be one person doing everything it doesn't work that way you have to work as a team

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Again, the I-129f ONLY asks for "proof of meeting in person".

The meeting has to have taken place BEFORE the petition is filed. If you file and then fly (again), it is useless. (There have been plenty denials of petition because people only met after filing.) But it would be extremely useful to fly now before filing and gather more evidence, including one or two pictures.

The hotel bill might work if he normally does not live in Houston. It would show you were in the same city at the same time. The statements by the family might work, but you need them now, when handing in the petition. Maybe two tickets of an attraction you visited together? Two tickets for a bus/train ride at the same time?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Albania
Timeline

Ultima, go for it! Apply for the visa and may God bless you both with great healthy children. I dont know anything about bipolar but i hope he recovers and you will be his inspiration, im sure. Theres nothing wrong because u are the applicant hes just the receiver. And your all good. Good luck and leave everything in God's hands! XOXO

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.