salman1234

Abandonment of Green card at islamabad embassy

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hello there,

I have some questions to ask if you do not mind.

My sister was a Green card holder. It has been 12 years now since she has last traveled to USA.

She was divorced by her husband when she returned in Pakistan. Got a divorce letter through COURIER after few months upon her returning back to her country. Her husband was a US citizen.

She suffered from schizophrenia which was incurable and was the main reason of her divorce as well.

Long story short, this year my dad applied for a family based immigrant petition at National service center on behalf of his daughters and sons.

All applications were approved for the family based petition but refused for the aforesaid sister in question.

Her current status was shown "LPR" in their system and married status.

They want proof from us why a fresh application was lodged on the behalf of an already LPR.

She has been hospitalized at a private hospital for the last 10 years or so,

She had re entry permit, green card and etc. After having talks with an American lawyer he had suggested us to give up her LPR status since we do not know for sure what would happen to her at the port of entry in the US. She could be detained etc

We filled in 1-407 form, and sent it along with original Green Card and Re entry Permit by courier as she could not travel to embassy in person for an appointment of S1b visa...for returning residents.

Plus, we will have to submit the evidence of abandoned LPR to National Visa Center by 10 August 2015.

it has been 14 days now since the package was received by the embassy in islamabad.

My main question is, does anyone know how long does it take to get a stamped copy of 1-407 form (abandonment of Green card ) from Islamabad embassy?

I live in Karachi. It should not take more than 4-5 days at max but still no response from their end.

deadline is near......

Edited by salman1234

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I have not seen another example, I doubt there are many. What is the rush?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

~ Moved from AOS from Family Based Visas to US Embassy and Consulate Discussion - topic about timeline/case status at US consulate ~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

I have not seen another example, I doubt there are many. What is the rush?

because by August 8 I am going to travel outside Pakistan for my work. There is no an extension of deadline. The lawyer has to submit the evidence by August 10. Of course, I hope that I may receive something before August 8th.

Otherwise, if nothing happens , the lawyer says he would submit the courier receipt that shows documents were received by US embassy.

I posted the question because someone from Pakistan here wanted to abandon her LP status because she did not want to raise her kids in American culture.

That's how I came across this forum on Google.

It is better to ask and get different opinions from different people instead of killing mosquitoes.

Timeline

I am going to assume that this is not a priority situation for the Consulate.

From a practical point of view her father can always re apply however the logic of the situation makes me wonder. I know this will be many years away but there will be a medical and then if you get beyond that Hospice care in the US will be many more times expensive.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

I am going to assume that this is not a priority situation for the Consulate.

From a practical point of view her father can always re apply however the logic of the situation makes me wonder. I know this will be many years away but there will be a medical and then if you get beyond that Hospice care in the US will be many more times expensive.

The logic of the situation behind this step is if my sister travels to USA right now on her Green card there is a chance that her case would be forwarded to a Jury/Judge and it may take several years to determine her legality whether she should be allowed to enter or be detained in a separate cell or God knows where else in the country. It is all ifs and buts. She has not maintained her status and other requirements being a LPR.

Instead of wasting time in the court of law be denied of entry in the country it is better to abandon her status right now and apply for a fresh application of family based immigrant.

We have taken this step is to save time because we simply don;t know what would happen to her at the port of entry.

This is what the lawyer has told us. Giving her LPR status is the best way to go about it.

It is still 8-10 years away ...for family based petition to be approved of...forwarded to the local consulate.

She lived in the US for 4 years before who do you think took care of her medical expenses? Her brothers did.

yeah, medical exp is expensive over there.....you have got a valid point.... again few years away.....

What else we can say apart from.... God tests his people....

BTW, you understood my situation very well.... good inferring skills :)

Edited by salman1234

Timeline

You do not see many abandonment posts well I have not, and I do not recollect àby that mentioned how long it took. At any Consulate. And I think you are the first one I have seen that is doing it to regain PR through another route.

Did the Lawyer comment on the medical aspects of the case? Does he think she will pass the medical? The issue usually arises if there will be a risk of harm to others.

Timeline

You do not see many abandonment posts well I have not, and I do not recollect àby that mentioned how long it took. At any Consulate. And I think you are the first one I have seen that is doing it to regain PR through another route.

Did the Lawyer comment on the medical aspects of the case? Does he think she will pass the medical? The issue usually arises if there will be a risk of harm to others.

She is a bad woman only if she does not take her meds on a regular basis.

I have not seen her behaving violently towards others. Angry yes but never violent. More sort of dealing with hallucinations , delusions and memory loss etc

I visit her hospital quite frequently and she is normal as anyone. She takes medicine properly so she is behaving fine.

Real trouble starts only when she starts quitting her meds which is the case 10 out of 10 times when she is out in the society.

I am not in direct contact with the lawyer. I am told what I have to do within Pakistan like filling forms, have her signed and sending them via courier.

8 years is a long time to ponder over her medical test and such...

we just want to apply for the family based petition and move on with our lives. Who know where I will be in 8 years time.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

it will be difficult for her to pass the medical, because as you state, once she is "out in society" she does not take her meds and thus becomes a danger to herself or others. The question is going to be, who will pay for her healthcare once she arrives and who will make sure she takes her medication since she has been institutionalized for at least the last 10 years. Being schizophrenic and having a history of not taking meds, she will most likely be deemed a danger. The US government will also need some sort of guarantee she will not become a public charge by going on tax payer funded state or federal heath care, even if she does pass the medical.

Filed: Timeline

Hello there,

I have some questions to ask if you do not mind.

My sister was a Green card holder. It has been 12 years now since she has last traveled to USA.

She was divorced by her husband when she returned in Pakistan. Got a divorce letter through COURIER after few months upon her returning back to her country. Her husband was a US citizen.

She suffered from schizophrenia which was incurable and was the main reason of her divorce as well.

Long story short, this year my dad applied for a family based immigrant petition at National service center on behalf of his daughters and sons.

All applications were approved for the family based petition but refused for the aforesaid sister in question.

Her current status was shown "LPR" in their system and married status.

They want proof from us why a fresh application was lodged on the behalf of an already LPR.

She has been hospitalized at a private hospital for the last 10 years or so,

She had re entry permit, green card and etc. After having talks with an American lawyer he had suggested us to give up her LPR status since we do not know for sure what would happen to her at the port of entry in the US. She could be detained etc

We filled in 1-407 form, and sent it along with original Green Card and Re entry Permit by courier as she could not travel to embassy in person for an appointment of S1b visa...for returning residents.

Plus, we will have to submit the evidence of abandoned LPR to National Visa Center by 10 August 2015.

it has been 14 days now since the package was received by the embassy in islamabad.

My main question is, does anyone know how long does it take to get a stamped copy of 1-407 form (abandonment of Green card ) from Islamabad embassy?

I live in Karachi. It should not take more than 4-5 days at max but still no response from their end.

deadline is near......

The extreme mental health issues in itself is almost a sure denial, the US will not have an instutionallized person be brought

into this countrym (maybe there is a loop-hole with family purchasing a high price insurance covering yrs) But one who can

do harm to themselves or others will not be admissible, so before everything consult an atty, also them contacting her ex

may not garner a favorable response for her...They know 12 yrs... the GC being abandoned many times over, seem like saying

she an LPR is just to stop this in the track...also I have to check but in her case she may not qualify for 212(h) someone

correct me if I am wrong , or OP can ask his/her atty

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Well many have commented on the fact that she might not pass the medical or you will come into some other type of problems in the future, but from my understanding of your post you just want to apply for her right now and worry about those situations as they arise. Since your priority date will take 8-10 years from being current you are probably taking the right approach.

That being said, you already have an immigration attorney who will have more information regarding your specific case then anyone on these forums. I suggest follow what the lawyer has to say unless you have doubts in his competence then you should find another lawyer. Your case is unique and not many will know or have gone through a similar experience.

Timeline

I agree probably money wasted but not a lot and who knows, there may be a miracle cure by then. And it is their money.

Timeline

The extreme mental health issues in itself is almost a sure denial, the US will not have an instutionallized person be brought

into this countrym (maybe there is a loop-hole with family purchasing a high price insurance covering yrs) But one who can

do harm to themselves or others will not be admissible, so before everything consult an atty, also them contacting her ex

may not garner a favorable response for her...They know 12 yrs... the GC being abandoned many times over, seem like saying

she an LPR is just to stop this in the track...also I have to check but in her case she may not qualify for 212(h) someone

correct me if I am wrong , or OP can ask his/her atty

There is no guarantee for our lives. When our time is up , then it is up. I know some American nutjobs who go on a killing spree and do not spare school kids as well. Yeah, precautions are always better than cure. Yes, she can always get a ticket back to Pakistan if trouble starts....and we can all speculate about her being refused on medical grounds...maybe or maybe not. As I said, you can not decide about her mental health in a 15 minute interview unless she spills the beans or someone spends a long period of time.

Anyways, our priority date is 20 January 2015.

yesterday i sent them a fax and seeking for an update on her case from their side.otherwise, a copy of courier receipt will be forwarded to National Visa Center if no response.

However, it was nice to read your responses.

it will be difficult for her to pass the medical, because as you state, once she is "out in society" she does not take her meds and thus becomes a danger to herself or others. The question is going to be, who will pay for her healthcare once she arrives and who will make sure she takes her medication since she has been institutionalized for at least the last 10 years. Being schizophrenic and having a history of not taking meds, she will most likely be deemed a danger. The US government will also need some sort of guarantee she will not become a public charge by going on tax payer funded state or federal heath care, even if she does pass the medical.

Also, her condition would need to be well controlled before travelling.

Travel by air is normally contraindicated in the following cases:

• Infants less than 48 hours old (longer after premature births).
  • Women after the 36th week of pregnancy (32nd week for multiple pregnancy).
  • Those suffering from:
    • angina or chest pain at rest
    • any active communicable disease (see further notes)
    • decompression sickness after diving
    • increased intracranial pressure
    • infection of the sinuses or of the ear and nose and eustachian tubes
    • recent myocardial infarction
    • recent stroke
    • recent surgery or injury where trapped air or gas may be present (e.g. abdominal trauma, gastrointestinal surgery, craniofacial and ocular injuries, brain surgery or eye operations)
    • severe chronic respiratory disease
    • breathlessness at rest
    • unresolved pneumothorax
    • sickle cell anaemia
    • psychotic illness, except where fully controlled.

The above list is not exhaustive so any potential traveller with an underlying medical condition who is unsure, should seek advice from their GP in the first instance. Airlines' regulations may vary so if in doubt advice should also be sought from the medical department of the airline concerned.

Timeline

There is a medical as part of the process, it will arise then.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.